Best IEM's to use for Radiohead/Floyd under $200?
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

arpeggi91

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at the SE315, TF10, GR07, and FXT90.  Im not sure if this music would sound best if I went 'analytical', 'balanced', or something else.  If theres anyone here that listens to a lot of Radiohead, mainly their newer stuff, please let me know where I should be focusing my attention.

Thanks.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 16
Most likely the TF10 and GR07 would be your best bet but the FXT90 is also very good from what I've read and thats why I just bought a pair. I have the TF10 and it works really well with many different types of music and has a nice airy soundstage and good separation.  In your case the GR07's might be best with its more monitor like sound signature and enhanced low end and it also has a wide soundstage.  I think with vocals the GR07 will shine more than the TF10's and its somewhat recessed mids.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm a huge radiohead fan so I'm willing to help, but please remember this is only my opinion.  I rarely ever listen to them through IEMs because so much of the spacial layering is lost.  I absolutely love listening to them through my Audio Technica AD900s. 

With IEMs I'm generally looking for a different vibe than the light, airy, spacious sound of an AD900.  I find that when I'm listening to IEMs I'm generally in the mood for a more intimate sound stage and something that focuses more on the vocal range.  The SE315 might be the answer, but I think that the UM3X would be spot on if you're looking for that same feeling with an IEM.  You can really never recreate the sound stage and spaciousness of a full size headphone with an IEM, so going to the opposite end of the spectrum (collapses, focused, intimate, warm) with an IEM is just as fun when desired.

To answer your question directly - If you're only looking at the ones mentioned above I would recommend the FXT90.  The SE315 does not have enough drivers to handle the layering requirements.  The TF10 will be a bit fatiguing over longer listening lessons due to their exagerted highs.  Not sure about the GR07s (never listened to them).

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't know but maybe I have a unique set of TF10's because I don't find the highs fatiguing or overly exaggerated at all if anything their in line with the bass and mids (which I don't find my mids as recessed as others do though they are slightly).  I've listen to them for a good 4 or 5 straight hours and had not issues even with the fit.  I was going to get them re-shelled soon but now I might not because I don't want the sound signature to change.  They just have a very balanced sound but are warm and fun at the same time.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 16
Yea I have the HF5 and they are very analytical and balance but the lack of bass is its only down fall.  I still think the GR07 would be a good fit form the OP because of its balance and detail but fun with a nice highlighted low end.  Before I picked up the FXT90 I had it down to them and the GR07 but I just wanted a more fun and fast IEM for my electronic music.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for all the quick replies guys.  
As popular as the TF10's are on here it doesn't seem like thats best suited for me?  From what I've read it seems that the differences between the others are that the FXT90's have a slightly more emphasized bass, the GR07 are precise and analytical, and the SE315's are pretty overall balanced and give an 'easy' listen.  Does that sound right or am I missing something?

Im hoping to get it narrowed down to 2, maybe 3 and then give each a try (if I can find a store that carries them) and make my decision from there...but I may just have to order one online so the more opinions the better!

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 16
Radio_head, unfortunately those are out of my price range...between the ones I listed (or others at a similar price) would you still recommend the Shure's, or would the GR07/FXT90 be better in your opinion?

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 16
I whole-heartedly recommend you get the GR07. I just got mine back, and I just fell in love all over again. There are a few on the FS forum right now. Go! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Not sure who this "Radiohead" is who everyone's talking about, but they'd probably sound pretty good on Westone 3/4 or the shure 535s.  

I agree with the 535s.  They're my #1 IEM I have ever owned or tested, and they get used more than the other 15 IEMs in my arsenal.  You may want to wait and save up some more cash and/or look in the FS section of Head-Fi.

The instrument separation with the 535s is so absolutely amazing that I use them more often for my studio mixing than any other headphone I own.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I agree with the 535s.  They're my #1 IEM I have ever owned or tested, and they get used more than the other 15 IEMs in my arsenal.  You may want to wait and save up some more cash and/or look in the FS section of Head-Fi.

The instrument separation with the 535s is so absolutely amazing that I use them more often for my studio mixing than any other headphone I own.

These are being given to me as a birthday present (I get to choose which ones I want but within a budget).  So I can do my best to bring that budget up to the 535's, I see one almost brand new for $350 (is that a good deal?).  But realistically Im going to have to choose between the ones I have listed now, which I think is narrowed down to the FXT90, GR07, or SE315.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 16
That's a good deal.  I bought mine new for about $425 and I thought that was a good deal.

I would exclude the SE315, with only one driver per ear they will sound similar to alot of other single BA IEMs - not as full, lacking detail and a slight roll off on both ends.  Looks like you need to decide between the FXT90 and the GR07.  Good luck.  I vote FXT90.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
That's a good deal.  I bought mine new for about $425 and I thought that was a good deal.

I would exclude the SE315, with only one driver per ear they will sound similar to alot of other single BA IEMs - not as full, lacking detail and a slight roll off on both ends.  Looks like you need to decide between the FXT90 and the GR07.  Good luck.  I vote FXT90.

The person claims theres 5 hours of listening time, mint condition, with warranty until May 2013, so not exactly new but pretty close.  And thanks again for the help/recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back