Best IEMs For Running Under $200
Mar 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lin0003

Headphoneus Supremus
As the title suggests, I am looking for a good IEM for running which is under $200. Would the UE TF-10 be better than all of them? Also, has anybody used the Triple.fi 10s for running? I'm open to any suggestions. I would prefer them to be more isolating as I don't run on roads and slightly bass heavy or neutral.
Thanks in advance.  

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 20
I'm no expert but they're very good, IMO, supposedly among the best <$200.  I've used them for exercise, riding a motorcycle, etc and the over-ear style keeps them in place pretty well.  I ended up getting them reshelled but broke them recently.  They are pretty neutral too.  If isolation is more important you can put Comply tips on them if you don't mind sacrificing a bit on the higher end of the frequency range or have them custom-molded for ~$90.

Some of the really helpful and knowledgeable guys keep up on the main advice thread for advice-seekers: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here.  You will definitely get an answer there and some additional suggestions I'd wager. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 20
i just recently got the tf10 and they are great iem's for the price. dual woofer ba and single ba armature for mids and highs. lows are great and highs are great. V shaped sound signature  the mids are slightly distant but not really recessed. although ive already upgraded the cable to the furutech and mids seem to be slightly more forward now.

excellent iem imo

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
i just recently got the tf10 and they are great iem's for the price. dual woofer ba and single ba armature for mids and highs. lows are great and highs are great. V shaped sound signature  the mids are slightly distant but not really recessed. although ive already upgraded the cable to the furutech and mids seem to be slightly more forward now.

excellent iem imo

Did you actually notice a difference?  I replaced the regular cable with the one from Westone.  Some of the guys in the TF10 thread reported that it did the same thing, bringing the mids forward. I have to admit I was unable to tell any difference at all. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 20
i have a westone epic cable and i was tempted to see if it makes any differences, however i dont want to stretch out the connector holes as ive heard the westone are bigger in diameter and slightly longer.

i have done some direct comparisons between the stock and the furutech and i do notice differences. mids are more forward and clearer, highs are more transparent and sparkle more. lows are slightly better than stock but with my c421 and bass boost on the lows are more pronounced and more impact than with the stock cable and the bass boost on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furutech-Ultimate-Ears-upgrade-cable-UE-tf10-SF-3-SF5-in-Red-White-/251252932711?pt=UK_Home_Garden_CD_DVDStorage_SM&hash=item3a7fd78067

this is the cable im talking about. i havent used the stock cable since i got this one. i am in the market to possibly get a pure silver cable....but this furutech cable was a good buy for 13.00 off ebay.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 20
I have bought a Dark Lord SPC cable. I find the stock cable really bad and hardly usable.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 20
IMO, a silver cable cleans up the whole spectrum of the TF10 making instruments sound more distinguishable and vocals slightly more energized and not as recessed as it's used to be. Bass punches slightly deeper and soundstage improved by a slight margin. IMO, a silver cable change with TF10 does improve its SQ.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 20
I am a believer in cables as well. Silver is out of my budget right now, just having spent 2.5k on other audio equipment.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
IMO, a silver cable cleans up the whole spectrum of the TF10 making instruments sound more distinguishable and vocals slightly more energized and not as recessed as it's used to be. Bass punches slightly deeper and soundstage improved by a slight margin. IMO, a silver cable change with TF10 does improve its SQ.

Pure Silver? Or Silver Plated Copper?

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 20
Cables are the absolute last thing you want to spend money on if you want to get better sound. SQ per $ is off the scale bad.
If people want to be fooled go ahead but don't don't try to fool people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back