Best IEM's for $80 Budget?
Apr 28, 2010 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Sylafari

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at either the Klipsch S4 or the Monster Turbine (I can get it for $80). I'm also considering the RE0 but they look too much like Vmodas.

I currently have a pair of JVC Marshmallows, and was wondering if the difference in sound of an $80 pair of IEMs would justify the much higher cost.

I want something good for Alternative Music. Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 45
If you can get your hands on them, I recommend the Hippo VB.. The price/SQ is just amazing, especially if you like bass.. Even the lowest bass port still provides more bass than the RE0.. Going from the Marshmallows, I think you're gonna love them
smily_headphones1.gif

RE0, though, is another beast entirely.. The details and clarity are superb, but if you like bass in your music, they're not for you..

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 45
I love my Klipsch S4's. If you like bass, you'll love them too. I burned mine in according to recommendations, and they really came alive after the 20 hour mark. If you're not used to In-ear or canal phones, you'll get over it quickly when you hear these. A proper seal is essential, so don't be afraid to gently work them in. The Klipsch S4's are very comfortable, come with a fair amount of tips to try and are worthy of carrying the company name. I would describe them as "fun" earphones, and I haven't found a real flaw yet, other then in the quality of the music itself. I can honestly say that after owning and listening to these for about a month now, I still can't wait to get home and put them in.

Give them a shot, you can get them at Best Buy, and always return them if you don't like them. But I doubt they'll go back. Good listening and enjoy.

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyFine Shindig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would a you be hesitant to buy the RE0 just because they look like VModa's?

I give a vote to the RE0.

I think Vmoda's look ugly (though I shouldn't really be taking looks into account).

Are RE0's durable though?
Hippo VB is another possiblity i'm looking into. And yes it has to be In-Ears because I don't want sound to leak to others.

Differences between Fischer Silver Bullet/Eterna?

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 45
nuforce has some pretty good IEM on a budget. For the money, the NE-7M is a pretty good bang for the buck.

The NE-8 from nuforce is still within your budget and its been receiving high praises. A few head-fiers are saying that they're better than the Super.Fi 5 Pros... but then everyone has their own preferences. I'd really check nuforce out!

Amazon.com: NuForce NE-8 Stereo Earphones: Electronics

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 45
Are they Eymotic ER6i any good?
I think I'm leaning towards RE0 or Hippo VB, but where would I buy the Hippo VB (Is Jaben the only retailer)?

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 45
I own the RE0s and have heard many of the IEMs recommended here, but I am currently enjoying the NuForce NE-8s right now and they are my favourite sub $200 IEM.

They are the most neutral in this price range and I do prefer their slightly less bright treble and more controlled bass to the RE0s.

I think they are one of the most under rated sub $200 IEM on Head-fi.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 45
Like detail? RE0.

Like bass? Turbines. (Haven't heard the VB yet.)

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 45
+1 on the S4's. I burned mine in 100+ hours and I think they sound great. My current opinion is that I like them better than my SE310's due to fuller base and more clarity in the treble. I think their bass is plentiful, but I don't think it dominates. The mids are good, but slightly recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back