Best IEM's Battle!
Sep 14, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #106 of 161

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #107 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by javahut
So let's hear your impressions of the differences between the UM2 & E500 when you have a chance, Freeblues.

Initial impressions based on a couple sessions. Bottom line is the E500's are "better" than the UM2's, maybe not by a lot, but still better.

Details. It's taken me a bit of time to sort out which tips to use - I think I've settled on the medium rubber tips the phones shipped with, the yellow foamies are also good - but based on that I find the E500's to be clearer, more detailed, tighter and cleaner then the UM2's. This works better for me. Particularly in the bass, there is just as much content, but the UM2's seemed a bit muddier and thicker, individual bass notes were harder to follow. I also seem to be able to hear deeper into my music with individual players having more definition, the soundstage is both deeper and clearer. The mid range is pretty equal, meaning spectacular, between the two.

The high end is more different than better or worse. The E500's are more detailed but can sometimes be a bit "splashy," at least so far. This is a descroption you'll read on lots of posts regarding these phones. I'm not certain if it's that the E500's are more revealing and that the splashiness is on the digital recordings, maybe the tips aren't quite perfect for me, or maybe it's a character of the phones. I don't hear it on every song and am almost inclined to think it's the recordings.

I'm using a fairly decent setup of a 5G ipod and ALAC, (I find I like the piano EQ on both the E500's and the UM2's) to a ALO cryo dock to a hornet M. Both the UM2's and E500's sound GREAT on this setup. As much as I like the UM2's I'd have to say I like the E500's more. I'm a musician and really like to follow the individual instruments and the E500's do this better. However, there are lots of times when I'm just listening, not really "analyzing," and the UM2's are more than good enough.

Worth the extra money? I'm going to give a qualified "no." I'm fortunate enough that the money for this isn't really an issue so the extra $200 isn't that big a deal. Since I think the E500's are slightly all around better I'm going to keep them and use my UM2's as spares. If money were an object I could VERY happily live with the UM2's.

Some criticisms: the UM2's are far more comfortable than the E500's. What was Shure thinking when it included this fat, heavy and inflexible cable, made even worse by the inclusion of a mini jack connector about 12" below the buds? This is so stupidly uncomfortable that if the phones didn't sound better I would have sent them back staight away. If someone comes up with a re-cabling mod I'll be first in line. In my ears (when the cable isn't pulling, tugging and weighing the buds down) the Um2's are slightly more comfortable. They are lighter, fit more tightly and "disappear" more. PTH is an option I'll never use and I wish Shure had offered the option to do without. I'd pay more to get them without it.

So I like the Shures and will keep them. I'm guessing that at this price point it mostly gets different instead of better among various IEM's. The Shures don't blow the UM2's out of the water, as I read on a post somewhere it's more a morning and noon difference than a morning and night change.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #109 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymadness
I cant believe I was going to buy an E5C many time over. I hesitated and hesitated cause of the price and didnt buy it. But is it that bad compared to the others in the poll. Like poeple said, this poll is not accurate and quite biased towards what people own. But i'm still surprised that it ended up being last. I thought its still a pretty good IEM???

The poll can't possibly be accurate for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that you can't rate them best to worst, you can only vote for which one you like the most. If you like the Shure sound you're most likely going to vote E500 instead of E5, etc.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #110 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Please don’t forget that some of us have Custom Molds for our single driver IEM’s (ER-4s). Custom molds greatly increase the odds that the owner achieves a good seal; it doesn’t guarantee it. A good seal is absolutely necessary when using IEM’s.

I have listened to 5 or 6 different multi-driver designs, and uniformly they have emphasized the frequency extremes. They have all lacked a certain degree of top to bottom coherence that single driver designs tend to exhibit. This does not mean that there cannot be great sounding multi-driver systems, just that based upon my empirical experience it’s less likely than with a single driver system.

The Ety’s have been around forever, so I have little doubt that at this point they could be updated and thereby improved dramatically.

Custom molds introduce their own issues though. With custom IEM's you can control tube length, etc. With custom molds for universal fit IEMs, you're adding tube length to something that is tuned according to how it sounds at the end of the nozzle, and not to the end of the custom mold.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #112 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
ety's far in the lead! suck it, ety h8ters!!

That's cuz ya'll keep voting on blind faith that what you have is the best...
very_evil_smiley.gif

For reference: I have heard all of the IEMs listed and I'm not voting because I know I haven't spent enough time with all of them to give a proper vote.

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #113 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
That's cuz ya'll keep voting on blind faith that what you have is the best...
very_evil_smiley.gif

For reference: I have heard all of the IEMs listed and I'm not voting because I know I haven't spent enough time with all of them to give a proper vote.

you can't HANDLE the truth!
emotownedlc8.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #114 of 161
Quote:

you can't HANDLE the truth!
emotownedlc8.gif

rolleyes.gif

...the truth is that many of you haven't heard any of the top tier IEMs. The fact that so many people can't afford them, or are not willing to take the risk plays a major factor here. Consider how few people have even heard the UE-10 for example. Remember too that the E500 just released; very few people (relatively speaking) have heard them.

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #115 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
rolleyes.gif

...the truth is that many of you haven't heard any of the top tier IEMs. The fact that so many people can't afford them, or are not willing to take the risk plays a major factor here. Consider how few people have even heard the UE-10 for example. Remember too that the E500 just released; very few people (relatively speaking) have heard them.

i've heard the e500. it's for people who like smeary, bass-fuzzy sound and rolled off highs, lol!

-edit-
this opinion is FACT, so don't pick on me, ok?

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #116 of 161
Quote:

i've heard the e500. it's for people who like smeary, bass-fuzzy sound and rolled off highs, lol!

...and etys are for people who like uber-bright, ultra-harsh, tinny, bass deficient, microphonic, ear defiling (the list goes on) pieces of garbage!
very_evil_smiley.gif

-EDIT-

If you want to get into a pissing match, I can hate on Etys all day (as could may other people I know), but the truth is that I like their mids and the bass isn't bad with a good amp, but I honestly think the treble is a bit harsh and grating. I also find that to get a relatively flat sound I have to have brand new foam tips and I have to shove them into my ears deep enough to inflict pain. Combine that with the microphonics and (IMO) poor ergonomic design and there's just no way you'll ever get me to fork out the scratch to pick up a pair. That and the fact that I don't find them to be nearly as detailed as many people try to make them out to be. Honestly, I find the E4 to be more detailed, let alone the E500 or UE-10.

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #118 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by javahut
Jeez... this Ety loving thing is like a religion... "Damn all others... there is only one God!!!"... "Believe in Ety or ye are doomed to ignorance!"
biggrin.gif

don't mess with the etymotic mafia!

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #119 of 161
Quote:

I find the E4 to be more detailed

I don't, and I've used them both very extensively.

I began to find the E4s to be very dull after the initial "Wow, new purchase" effect wore off. I found myself using the treble boost more and more often.

The ER4s have the special sheen and clarity that the E4s sorely lack. I really do love them.

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #120 of 161
I guess every hobby needs their obnoxious subset, and it appears some Ety fans are trying to claim that title for themselves.

Edit: Not referring to Piccolo.

Edit 2: Piccolo, could it be that you're a fan of treble the same way some people are fans of bass? I've seen you describe cans that most people consider relatively bright as "bassy" before, and that treble boosting comment makes me wonder. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back