Best IEM-Unamped-for Nano under $60?
Apr 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #17 of 25
V-Moda Vibe, Sony EX300, PK2 and Philips SHE9850

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 25
If you dont need isolation and listen to those genres, the Sennheiser PX-100 is on sale in many stores under $25 now. Theyre foldable light weight with a headband and carry case.
Great for portable classical.

http://www.headphone-outlet.com/senn...nes-p-174.html

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #20 of 25
DragOn I actually own a pair of Sennheiser PX100s and love them! Paid more than $25 for them though! But I use them for desk work with the computer and need something like an IEM that I can travel or go out and about with. Looking for portability and ease here. Something that sounds great on a Nano with no other adaptations necessary other than proper-fitting tips.

At the moment, the Brainwavz M2 may be the ticket, especially for $49 on pre-order sale. I am hoping to find a couple more reviews by all you experts that will offer more details, in particular about the whole "burn in" thing (if needed with the M2s) which I don't quite get anyway.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the ADDIEM's, I personally can't find anything to fault about them, the bass in there; for the money you could do a lot worse.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark, but I believe they are the same mushroom shape as the regular Apple buds which are too big for my ears. The shape of the other styles might work better.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment, the Brainwavz M2 may be the ticket, especially for $49 on pre-order sale. I am hoping to find a couple more reviews by all you experts that will offer more details, in particular about the whole "burn in" thing (if needed with the M2s) which I don't quite get anyway.

If I remember right, the Brainwavs M2 is just a rebranded ViSang R03 so it should be good for your price range. As far as burn-in goes, it's not something you always need to worry about. Basically the idea is that with some headphones, they'll sound better after being used for several hours. Akin to "breaking in" shoes, etc.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Perhaps you should check out this thread regarding burn in:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...urn-faq-56744/

There's also a website with tonnes of burn in sound file:
Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix

I don't believe it much at first, but after 70-100 hours on my IE8, I had to believe what I listen. From what I read, dynamic driver needs longer burn in to stretch the diaphragm to a preferable state, while multiple balanced armature IEM need burn in for the crossover (there are components like capacitors inside).
Nevertheless, I am an EE student, and typically we want the characteristics of components to remain the same over time....
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Thanks Mark, but I believe they are the same mushroom shape as the regular Apple buds which are too big for my ears. The shape of the other styles might work better.

Tight, I've got really small ear canal's so far these have proved to be really comfortable, they really are very small in comparison to the standard Apple buds for example.

These are the only IEM's I've found that I can listen to whilst in bed, I often wake up with them still in my ear the following morning
tongue.gif

Apple (United Kingdom) - iPod - In-Ear Headphones.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

According to ClieOS's review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...st-iem-383355/

the RE0 is best amped, and I won't be doing that. The review was dated November of 2008 so I don't know if there has been a newer model that is more efficient at driving a Nano, but it doesn't appear to be a good choice because of that reason.

To quote ClieOS from that topic.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Efficiency
So how well RE0 is able to run unamped? ...... Basically, RE0 is neither very efficient nor very inefficient. You can probably run it unamped with an iPod by setting the volume to vary loud, but an amp would probably do a better job. I do find small amp like FiiO E3(which I believe comes with the IEM when purchased) and E5 are enough to give a satisfying result (and the bass boost will give RE0 a better bass). Of course, a better amp is always…better.

I think you shouldn't cross the RE0 off your list purely because you think it won't perform unamped. This simply isn't the case. If everything else about the RE0's appeal to you I'd say buy them. Sure they aren't for everyone, but if they suit your musical tastes they are an absolute steal for the current price.
And for the record they will work perfectly fine with your iPod Nano. The "higher" impedance of 64 ohm might mean a slight loss in volume coming from the 32ohm HO on the Nano. But that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back