Best IEM-Unamped-for Nano under $60?
Apr 25, 2010 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Tight

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for current recommendations (spring 2010) for something to replace stock Apple buds which don't stay in my ear which is smallish, so comfort is a big factor, I would like to avoid ear-fatigue. The Apple buds are the only ones I've ever tried, as I just got the Nano, and after a plane trip's worth of listening I want to pull them out. Before the plane lands actually!

I do not want to spend over $60. However I have a very fine-tuned ear, and dislike muddied sound. I don't listen to metal, heavy rock, rap, trance, so IEM's that shine in those areas aren't for me. I prefer a warm, rich sound, with good mid and high range where the bass doesn't drop out, perhaps with slightly punchy bass. Musicality in tone that also shines somewhat. The Nano (new video Nano) is not powerful and after all these are mostly MP3s or MP4s we're talking about for heaven's sake.

All the high-end, tricked out "best IEM" threads focus on higher budget items, but I have read them and learned quite a bit, so thank you all.

Listening style: mostly instrumental, jazz, vocal, world, rock, some classical and contemporary country & bluegrass.

So, for all the other folks on a budget, your current picks? If you can give descriptions of why you recommend them, it would be helpful also.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 25
muddy? i really dont think so, certainly not for the money. not as tight as the etys perhaps but seeing as its his first post post and hep not very clear on what he wants id be willing to bet ety bass will be far too light for him. that is why i said the iM-590 over the PL-50.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
muddy? i really dont think so, certainly not for the money. not as tight as the etys perhaps but seeing as its his first post post and hep not very clear on what he wants id be willing to bet ety bass will be far too light for him. that is why i said the iM-590 over the PL-50.

really?

"I don't listen to metal, heavy rock, rap, trance, so IEM's that shine in those areas aren't for me."

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Darling, I'm a little too lushly-built to be male.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Muddy bass...

Not at all, unless you had defective im-590s.

Regardles, for the OP's genres I'd say the ViSang R03 - a bit over $60 on ebay but the mp4nation rebrand (Brainwavz M2) is currently on presale for $50.

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really?

"I don't listen to metal, heavy rock, rap, trance, so IEM's that shine in those areas aren't for me."

Genres and signature preferences are two different things. Some people like their rock grungy and raw, some like it analytical.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 25
ljokerl I read your reviews and have actually put the ViSang R03's on my potential list, but I was a bit worred about microphonics and comfort. I would probably wear the cord down, and you state microphonics is present when worn down. The "sizeable driver bulge" made me question the comfort for a small ear. Your thoughts?

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 25
The cord on the R03 is fairly low in energy and won't bounce around too much but of course it won't be silent. Then again the iM-590 needs to be worn over-the-ear IMO or the microphonics will drive you nuts.

I just noticed that the ViSang R02 is now on sale for $43. I haven't had a chance to do a full write-up of them yet but in price/performance I think that's about as good as it gets. I think the R02 shares drivers with the R03, though ViSang would neither confirm nor deny this. Housings are little cheaper than the R03, the same ones used by the ViSonic R02ProII, Cyclone PR1 Pro, Lear Le01+, and many others, but I find them very comfortable. The driver bulge is absent so I guess they may be a tiny bit more friendly towards small ears. The cable is the same one that's used on the R03.

Edit: google images yields nothing of value for the R02 so here's a photo of mine:

r02m.jpg

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 25
Good info, I will research this. Could you please explain your suggestion "mp4nation rebrand (Brainwavz M2)"? Have they improved quality/cable, etc., enough to warrant them over R03? Any differences, and more importantly has anyone had a chance to listen to them and compare to R03?

Apr 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 25
Yes, I have both, which is why I said they were identical. The only difference between the M2 and R03 is the 45-degree plug on the M2 vs the straight plug on the R03 (as in the picture above). And the M2 also come with a different accessory pack, though I don't remember what they include off the top of my head since mine are a pre-production set and came without accessories. Other than that no real advantage to the M2 besides price, since the R03 will run $63-65 off ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back