Best IEM tips?
Sep 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 3,289
Quote:
The best tips for what? There are just no universal tips that are best for  every iem. I've tried everything. While the shure olives are great for some iems and one of my favorites for a lonf time, but they are just not the best for every iem. Some iems just sound good with meelec dual-flanges, others with ety tri-flanges, sony hybrids and so on. Sooner or later one has to deal with the reality and get a decent collection of different tips.

I don't think the question is that complex. It's just a blunt question asking what tips people prefer in terms of "durability, comfort, fit and price" with the IEMs they use with 
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 3,289
Quote:

I don't think the question is that complex. It's just a blunt question asking what tips people prefer in terms of "durability, comfort, fit and price" with the IEMs they use with 
wink.gif

Well, it did sound like a question for the ultimate tips. Anyway, the shure ovlives  are my answer. I would say the ety tri-flanges but i know that a lot of people would call that rape and not comfort.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 3,289
I'm with you on the Ety Tri-Flange. Others seem to dislike them because it grips the insides of the ear too vigorously and it goes too deep, but not for me. I don't find the depth to be disturbing in anyway and I prefer tips that grip more. That's why I find the Tri-Flange tips to have the best isolation compared to Comply and other tips. Also, I might get shot for saying this, but I think it sounds better because sound is projected through the longer tip for a longer time until hitting the eardrum unlike shorter tips. This is all a possible hypothesis in terms of air displacement and sound waves

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 3,289
Agreed, the Comply Foam P-Series is prolly the longest tips available for my Etys.

It just so happens to be the ones that I prefer too.

Thanks, Jim

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 3,289
Well, as far as comfort goes the comply foamies are probably the best. While i do prefer the olives more because they affect the highs less, they do tend to put more pressure on the ear canals. Also, while the ety foamies seal pretty well they are just too prickly to be comfortable in the long term

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #24 of 3,289
I love Complys but the durability is an issue, greys go brown and the foam will break down, but then again look at their standpoint if they were made to last for years and years of use you'd never have to replace them, and Comply wouldn't be selling hundreds and thousand of them.
Comfort and a good seal are found with foam for me.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #28 of 3,289
The ideal tip is very IEM dependant.
Some IEMs are no really that tip dependant, others are very tip dependant.

I use a different tip for each IEM I own.
Depending on the seal, comfort and/or sound that becomes available by using that particular tip.
A tip can make a IEM isolate better/worse, sound more or less bright, improve on bass, improve on comfort/seal, ...
It's also wear-dependant, choosing between straight-down or over-the-ear might lead to another choice of tip.

Mostly I avoid foam because they need to be replaced after some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back