Best IEM tips?
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #2,941 of 3,289
Are Divinus and Spiraldots similar? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm not sure which since they're both on the pricier side.
Not similar in my opinion. Spiral dot are rounder, shorter and and softer. They are a little stretchier for large nozzles. Velvet are smoother and fit deeper for me. I usually seem to get a better fit with velvet, so they are my preference. Both are comfortable and don’t “stick“ to your ear the way the clear silicone types do (like xelastic or crystal).

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #2,942 of 3,289
Are Divinus and Spiraldots similar? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm not sure which since they're both on the pricier side.
Just got some Spiral dots from Amazon. They're really disappointing imo. The sound is just not good the comfort is S tier tho. Also another negative is that they cause moisture build up on the nozzle of my iem (2018 Andromeda).

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #2,943 of 3,289
20240201_123102.jpg

Penon liqueur has arrived. They are shiny indeed

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,947 of 3,289
Just got some Spiral dots from Amazon. They're really disappointing imo. The sound is just not good the comfort is S tier tho. Also another negative is that they cause moisture build up on the nozzle of my iem (2018 Andromeda).

You can't genuinely make a blanket statement that Spiral Dots don't sound good, that just isn't accurate.

The size you have on your IEM and in your ears might not have sounded good, that much you certainly can say of course and I would think that would mostly be down to a size that is smaller than needed to get a good seal, if they seal they will sound at least pretty decent as will most tips.

I have Spiral Dots in two sizes and they work as well as any ear tip for me in the right combination of the IEMs insertion depth and angle and my ear anatomy versus the diameter of the two sizes that I have. When the combination works they are comfortable but they are not always comfortable if the insertion depth, angle and tip diameter doesn't work well together.

Tips don't cause moisture build up, a combination of cool metal and a humid environment in your ear cavity does. At best the big bore of the Spiral Dots may make it more visually obvious since you can see the wet grill easier than with a narrow bore tip.

Anyway, just sayin ..... :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #2,948 of 3,289
Alright, the Penon liqueur are more or less the sticky kind. Other than that, well they look pretty and are fairly cheap (less than 10$ for 3 pairs)

The Liqueur have become my go to on several IEM that have short nozzles and resultant shallow insertion because the XLs diameter and sticky material hold and seal really well and they don't seem to have the downsides of the XELASTEC which are the only other sticky tips that I have.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #2,949 of 3,289
You can't genuinely make a blanket statement that Spiral Dots don't sound good, that just isn't accurate.

The size you have on your IEM and in your ears might not have sounded good, that much you certainly can say of course and I would think that would mostly be down to a size that is smaller than needed to get a good seal, if they seal they will sound at least pretty decent as will most tips.

I have Spiral Dots in two sizes and they work as well as any ear tip for me in the right combination of the IEMs insertion depth and angle and my ear anatomy versus the diameter of the two sizes that I have. When the combination works they are comfortable but they are not always comfortable if the insertion depth, angle and tip diameter doesn't work well together.

Tips don't cause moisture build up, a combination of cool metal and a humid environment in your ear cavity does. At best the big bore of the Spiral Dots may make it more visually obvious since you can see the wet grill easier than with a narrow bore tip.

Not sure. These are the only eartips this has ever happened. Used my Clarion tips the same amount of time and the nozzle was still clean. Also the seal was still very good imo. I compared the size to tips I always buy and they fit nice. Not sure what it is but they just don't sound good to me ears.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #2,950 of 3,289

Spiral dots not the ++ version is my go to however the divinus velvets are also great. I think divinus is coming out with another set of tips.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #2,951 of 3,289
Spiral dots not the ++ version is my go to however the divinus velvets are also great. I think divinus is coming out with another set of tips.

I used the Velvet on several IEM but they have been replaced with Penon Liqueur which work better to get a solid fit that stays put with shallow fit IEM.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #2,953 of 3,289
Do they get really dirty like the xelastec? I love those tips but they're such a pain to clean up.

They don't seem to hold dirt like the XELASTEC and they wipe clean easily just with a moist finger, kind of like they are as much glossy as they are physically sticky. And they don't seem to get a bit cloudy, not clean and fresh looking like the XELASTEC do.

They also don't form out of shape like the XELASTEC which I hate for anal retentive reasons :relaxed:

And they are cheap, I have 3 sets of L and XL in both colours coming just to stock up and that cost about the same as just buying 2 or 3 sets of some other tips.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #2,954 of 3,289
They don't seem to hold dirt like the XELASTEC and they wipe clean easily just with a moist finger, kind of like they are as much glossy as they are physically sticky. And they don't seem to get a bit cloudy, not clean and fresh looking like the XELASTEC do.

They also don't form out of shape like the XELASTEC which I hate for anal retentive reasons :relaxed:

And they are cheap, I have 3 sets of L and XL in both colours coming just to stock up and that cost about the same as just buying 2 or 3 sets of some other tips.

IMG_0240.jpeg
Thanks, I'll definitely have to buy a pair. Love how you can select more of 1 size so you don't end up with a dud since I'm always between M/L.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #2,955 of 3,289
Not sure. These are the only eartips this has ever happened. Used my Clarion tips the same amount of time and the nozzle was still clean. Also the seal was still very good imo. I compared the size to tips I always buy and they fit nice. Not sure what it is but they just don't sound good to me ears.
What exactly do you mean by they don't sound good? Is it a tonal shift? Distortion? Resonance?

If it's hard to tell, use one tip you are familiar with and the spiraldot in alternating ears and listen to a logarithmic sweep or tone generator, take note of which frequencies are off and where problems happen. Be sure to also relieve air pressure, sounds to me like the spiraldots are sealing up too well and causing pressure build up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back