Best IEM tips?
Jul 28, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #1,862 of 3,289
Anyone recognize these IEM tips? They are from a Flare Audio Pro package that I had purchased 5-6 years ago. These are some of the best IEM tips I've ever used, terrific longevity. Bottom row is much like the typical Comply foam, has a little bit of memory. Middle row is foam, but no memory. It's some kind of hybrid. These are the best, moved them to my 7Hz Timeless. Top row is all rubber (silicone) maybe? I use the Orange size (medium). The fit/isolation is very good, doesn't kill the high end, low end is very nice.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 4.28.12 PM.png
I think these are Flare's own tips.

https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/accessories?page=2

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #1,864 of 3,289
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #1,865 of 3,289
Azla Max are the best fitting and the best sounding tips from their entire setup.
Somehow neither regular nor light SednaEarfit sounded right to me will all iems i tried, and xelastec/crystal quickly got uncomfortable. Max don't mess up the sound, and i can actually wear them for the long period of time.
As being said already, they are a bit short, so i'm using a small ring i cut from the nozzle adapter to prevent them sliding all the way down, and i had to go 1 size up (from MS to M).

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,866 of 3,289
The Azla Max do fit snugly on my Pizen PianoTrio nozzles.
Since the nozzles are a bit short, I had already added an o-ring to "lift" the previous tips - and they helped the Azla Max to provide a good seal, as well.
It's kind of odd - the seal seems good, but the isolation doesn't seem to be quite as much as the previous tips.

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #1,867 of 3,289
-

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,868 of 3,289
Thanks to the excitement here I got the Azla Max in earlier this week and so far to me they are equal to Radius in comfort and just slightly behind the regular SednaEarfit in sound quality. They are definitely worth it in my opinion - a massive hit :ksc75smile:

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,869 of 3,289
The Azla Max do fit snugly on my Pizen PianoTrio nozzles.
Since the nozzles are a bit short, I had already added an o-ring to "lift" the previous tips - and they helped the Azla Max to provide a good seal, as well.
It's kind of odd - the seal seems good, but the isolation doesn't seem to be quite as much as the previous tips.
Is there any particular brand and size of O-ring you would recommend for the average size nozzle?

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #1,870 of 3,289
Azla Max are the best fitting and the best sounding tips from their entire setup.
Somehow neither regular nor light SednaEarfit sounded right to me will all iems i tried, and xelastec/crystal quickly got uncomfortable. Max don't mess up the sound, and i can actually wear them for the long period of time.
As being said already, they are a bit short, so i'm using a small ring i cut from the nozzle adapter to prevent them sliding all the way down, and i had to go 1 size up (from MS to M).
I haven't noticed any difference in sound or isolation properties between Max and Crystal, in fact to me Crystal might even isolate and seal better.
The main differences are
- Max is quite shorter which might or might not work better than Crystal depending on IEM
- the material is even less tacky than Crystal, making them easier to insert, but for some reason removal is more challenging as it kind of clings inside the ear
- wax protection guard seems like a nice addition, hopefully it's indeed 100% sound transparent

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #1,871 of 3,289
Is there any particular brand and size of O-ring you would recommend for the average size nozzle?

I just checked my Amazon order history, and I didn't get them there - so I must have picked up the O-Rings from the plumbing aisle of my local Ace Hardware store.
Using a Micrometer, I measured the OD of my PianoTrio nozzles, and got O-Rings that were a bit smaller.
It was probably done in 2019 or 2020, and I don't remember which specific part numbers that I used.

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #1,872 of 3,289
I just checked my Amazon order history, and I didn't get them there - so I must have picked up the O-Rings from the plumbing aisle of my local Ace Hardware store.
Using a Micrometer, I measured the OD of my PianoTrio nozzles, and got O-Rings that were a bit smaller.
It was probably done in 2019 or 2020, and I don't remember which specific part numbers that I used.
Thank you very much @DBaldock9, I appreciate it.

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #1,873 of 3,289
I can't wrap my head around this, but the bassiest tips in my collection are the wide-bore tips. They are the JVC Spiral Dot and the Tanchjim T300T. This really confuses me, as among the companies that offer the identical design of tips in different bore width, the narrower bore is always advertised as being the more bassy one, e.g. FAudio Vocal vs Instrument, Tanchjim T300B vs T300T.

However, when I compared T300B to T300T, what I noticed was that they have the same absolute volume in bass, but T300T has less absolute volume in the upper-mids. As a result, T300T sounds bassier. Similarly, when comparing the Spiral Dot to the Final E, I again find that Final E has more absolute volume in the upper-mids. Since the Spiral Dot suppresses upper mids, it appears bassier and more V-shaped.

Anyways, the effect of the length of the bore has been studied quite thoroughly in acoustic engineering. When comparing tips that are identical up to the bore length, e.g. SednaEarfit vs SednaEarfit Short, I can clearly hear the effect of the shifted peaks. However, my understanding of the effect of the diameter of the bore is quite literally the opposite of how they are being advertised. Does it have more to do with wider bore being less rigid than narrower bore? I'd love to hear whether people who have the FAudio Vocal/Instrument have a similar or different experience (or perhaps they aren't identical-up-to-bore-diameter?).

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #1,874 of 3,289
I can't wrap my head around this, but the bassiest tips in my collection are the wide-bore tips. They are the JVC Spiral Dot and the Tanchjim T300T. This really confuses me, as among the companies that offer the identical design of tips in different bore width, the narrower bore is always advertised as being the more bassy one, e.g. FAudio Vocal vs Instrument, Tanchjim T300B vs T300T.

However, when I compared T300B to T300T, what I noticed was that they have the same absolute volume in bass, but T300T has less absolute volume in the upper-mids. As a result, T300T sounds bassier. Similarly, when comparing the Spiral Dot to the Final E, I again find that Final E has more absolute volume in the upper-mids. Since the Spiral Dot suppresses upper mids, it appears bassier and more V-shaped.

Anyways, the effect of the length of the bore has been studied quite thoroughly in acoustic engineering. When comparing tips that are identical up to the bore length, e.g. SednaEarfit vs SednaEarfit Short, I can clearly hear the effect of the shifted peaks. However, my understanding of the effect of the diameter of the bore is quite literally the opposite of how they are being advertised. Does it have more to do with wider bore being less rigid than narrower bore? I'd love to hear whether people who have the FAudio Vocal/Instrument have a similar or different experience (or perhaps they aren't identical-up-to-bore-diameter?).
This video confirms what I have heard. According to their measurement, Final E is about 2db louder than T300T at 2.5kHz but only 1db louder at 200Hz. Therefore, focusing only on the midrange, T300T is 1db warmer or bassier than the Final E.

Another conclusion from this is that, by common measure, Final E is a very good "vocal tip". The good bass is relatively overshadowed by the upper mids and the suppressed treble brings the upper mids even more forward. This is also my impression of the Final E. (I personally don't think that IEM's today need their upper mids boosted to be good for vocal, but that seems to be people's preference these days.)

And by this measure, SpinFit CP145 is probably the ultimate "vocal tip" of the bunch. It is about .8db quieter than Final E at 2.5kHz but 1.5db quieter than Final E at 200Hz, making the midrange 0.7db more "forward" than the Final E. But it also comes with the fact that CP145 is a full 6db louder than Final E at 6kHz. Vocal will sound more shouty and more sibilant than on Final E, which is basically my impression from listening to the two. Is that good for vocal? I don't know.

Screenshot 2022-07-30 23.48.00.png

Screenshot 2022-07-30 23.48.56.png

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #1,875 of 3,289
This is a very complexe matter, that vary a lot (a... lot), between diverses morphologies, uiems shell form factor, nozzles AND tips form factor (bore size, umbrellas...), materials (density, thickness, nature, softness, grip, etc.).

I don't know a real universal rule... 🙄😔😕

For instance, the Canal Works 肉球l (narrow bore and gel, the form factor reminds a lot Final Type E) tips are an absolute endgame with my Aure Audio Ringo's.

But... an absolute mess with all my others uiems... 🙁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back