Best IEM tips?
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #931 of 3,313
I actually tried those because of their reviews on Amazon. I actually didn't like them, mainly because the MOD that I mentioned above didn't work with them as well as other standard shape foam tips.
The tennmak's on the other hand has been a big surprise. I'm putting the link here if someone is interested, It has a lot of buyers and has good reviews overall (no affiliated link or some bull): https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Thanks for the link. I’m always looking for new ear tips to try, especially if inexpensive.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #932 of 3,313
Tennmak Ultra Strong Foam tips came today. 1595326900102.png
The first thing I did when I received it was to cut them in 2 different sizes and test. From left to right the proportions are whole, 1/2, 1/3. Each size gives different levels of highs and bass (applying the logic of shallow insertion = more highs, less bass), so I pretty much feel that my necesities are covered with this little MOD.
What a huge surprise, not only they're way cheaper and has more quantity than Comply foams, they're WAY more resitant and as comfortable as them.
My problem with Comply was that they recessed too much the treble and boosted too much bass. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the foam material, but this one feels totally different from Comply and it doesn't have those prominent problems mentioned above.
I have actually tried a lot of different foam tips from different companies, but It's actually the first time that I have liked foam tips this much.
I also have other silicon tips like Azla Sedna, Final E tips, Sony Hybrids, Ostry tips, spinfit cp 100, cp 360, but I think I have found my favorite earphone tips, and surprisingly they have been foam tips, something that I didn't like that much before.

There is something scary about ruthlessly ripped tips.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #933 of 3,313
There is something scary about ruthlessly ripped tips.
Nah, I just used a pair of scissors. I have been doing this for a long time to foam tips, because if you use the whole thing, the highs would be terribly recessed, which is a big problem that the foam tips have in my opinion.
Maybe that's also why there is less recognition because of those characteristics; I just tried to solve that problem, but conserving the comfort that the foam tips provide.

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #934 of 3,313
Nah, I just used a pair of scissors. I have been doing this for a long time to foam tips, because if you use the whole thing, the highs would be terribly recessed, which is a big problem that the foam tips have in my opinion.
Maybe that's also why there is less recognition because of those characteristics; I just tried to solve that problem, but conserving the comfort that the foam tips provide.
I have big ear canals so use Spiral Dots L, and some Seda Earfits L which are on the way to me. If I wear foams bass disappears and the other frequencies become jumbled. The spaciousness of the Dots give me a very large bass wack. It's OK to rip them apart. I use silicon barrels to make spacers. On the other hand your photo somehow is symbolic. More than the sum of it's parts. I don't know how but it makes an unseen, unknown statement.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #935 of 3,313
With foam tips, I’m guessing the extra foam overhang past the hard rubber core is one of the main things that reduces treble. This is one reason why I like the cheap tapered foam tips, they’re versatile. I also need the largest sized tips, and many large foam tips don’t provide a great seal unless I insert them deep.

With the tapered tips, when inserting them normally, if they provide adequate contact/seal, they can seal along the entire length of the tip, and provide great isolation. If they are still not wide enough, by inserting them backwards, the widest part of the tip goes the deepest, to guarantee a good seal, albeit not seal for the whole length of the tip, so isolation isn’t as good.

The other effect is that when inserted normally, they tend to decrease the treble, and make the bass relatively more prominent. When inserted backwards, because there is no foam overhang, the treble is not nearly attenuated as much, and if you can push the tip onto the nozzle enough, where then end of the nozzle is close to the end of the ear tip core, it can mimick a wide-bore ear tip.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #936 of 3,313
I love the tips that came with the T2s but I made the mistake of washing them. They work fine but they lost their property of holding their shape when you mold them. now they just spring back

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #938 of 3,313
Ehh, they’re okay. Sound good, don’t grip to the nozzle well though. Isolation not obviously better than typical silicone tips, glad I got three sizes to try, for shallow vs deep fit use. Not very comfortable though.

277CEB7C-C1F9-441D-A033-5F5899E93C13.jpeg
Sounds like Mandarins .. :D

I think the foam used in these hybrids is probably way too dense. Compare with with the Star foam from a Westone as how much squishier things could be.

Mine arrived yesterday. I agree; the foam is way too hard, making them uncomfortable.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #939 of 3,313
Ehh, they’re okay. Sound good, don’t grip to the nozzle well though. Isolation not obviously better than typical silicone tips, glad I got three sizes to try, for shallow vs deep fit use. Not very comfortable though.

277CEB7C-C1F9-441D-A033-5F5899E93C13.jpeg
Sounds like Mandarins .. :D

I think the foam used in these hybrids is probably way too dense. Compare with with the Star foam from a Westone as how much squishier things could be.
Mine arrived yesterday. I agree; the foam is way too hard, making them uncomfortable.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

30 seconds immersion in boiling water softens Symbio foam a fair bit, and they are handy for shoving in other tips, especially Azlas. I’m on the fence about the isolation benefits though.

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #940 of 3,313
Anyone tried these XELASTECS with Sony's WF-1000xm3 and if they fit in the charger box? Think these may be great with them as staying in the ear can be a bit of a pain.

Sizing seems to be a bit of a dilemma, but I usually use Mediums in Sony silicone (12mm diameter), so I think MS should be ok. Also from the UK, best it seems is via amazon - $30+ all in, not cheap but is what it is I guess.

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #941 of 3,313
Anyone tried these XELASTECS with Sony's WF-1000xm3 and if they fit in the charger box? Think these may be great with them as staying in the ear can be a bit of a pain.

Sizing seems to be a bit of a dilemma, but I usually use Mediums in Sony silicone (12mm diameter), so I think MS should be ok. Also from the UK, best it seems is via amazon - $30+ all in, not cheap but is what it is I guess.
Don't forget shipping costs on top of that. Amazon did have the multipacks as well if that's any use.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #942 of 3,313
Don't forget shipping costs on top of that. Amazon did have the multipacks as well if that's any use.

they're $19+shipping of around $12, so tried to factor that in - https://www.amazon.com/AZLA-SednaEa...=ox_sc_saved_image_3&smid=A2T7LTHMQ84MCF&th=1

I did look at the multipack - torn between S and MS for sizing based on what people are saying, sizing two down feels a little much, but a bit of a gamble. Plus a two pack is better as I can use with my IEMs. So I guess choose and fingers crossed :sweat_smile:

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #944 of 3,313

Users who are viewing this thread

Back