Best IEM for Cowon D2 between $100--200USD [Australian User]
Aug 3, 2008 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dswill

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
New to the forum but having read over a number of sections it has proven to be quite helpful, with me learning a few things already.
Having just purchased a Cowon D2, I'm trying to make a 'better' personal setup than what I had previously [60GB iPod Video and Philips SHE9500 in-earphones], and am currently looking at either some Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3, or Super Fi 5 EB. I have a very wide selection of music, and like to 'fiddle' quite a bit with my sound [hence the D2], so if I have to describe the sound presence I like, it would have to have a good emphasis across the bass-mid tones, but also have very clear [but not ear piercing] treble. A good soundstage [new to me but I understand it] would also be nice. From what I can gather these two I selected may suit, but by all means suggest something else. My only problem is the selection I can get here in Aus is limited, so if anyone here is in Aus and has used any of the U.S sponsors of this forum please let me know. I was looking at earphone solutions and soundearphones to purchase, as for some reason the shops in Aus are charging nearly double what the Super Fi 5's are worth [$300+ AUD, conversion is more like $200 from US prices].
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Dwayne

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 20
I quiet like my SF5pros with my D2 and FiiO amp. In fact I use this combination 95% of the time I'm out.

Which part of Australia are you in? Stores down here charge like $200 for Grado headphones which are only $70 in the US.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 20
S.A mate. I can get the Super Fi 3 for a reasonable price [$130 delivered from Headphones.com.au], but the Fi 5 then jumps up to around $300, which is a bit high for me.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 20
Get the new super fi 5 from www.soundearphones.com for $169.99 + $30 shipping and minus $10 with coupon code 10offsound, alternatively get the SA6 off earphonesolutions for $199 free shipping or the SA6 off soundearphones for $195+30 - 10 = $215,
alternatively you can get the etymotic er4p for $169+$15(extra comply tips) with free shipping from earphone solutions.

USD prices

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 20
LOL,
Just got out of the forum with the new UE SF5's being praised. Think I may have a winner there. The Sleek look cool, but my main use with them is listening in bed/resting so I reckon their size will be an issue.
Now that I've got most of my information, I have one final question. When you guys purchased from overseas, did you have any issues with customs [meaning did they charge anything?] ?

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 20
No duty on items <$1000 AUD check it on google if you dont believe me. Good luck, sorry about your wallet.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 20
I use my D2 with Atrio M5's and love the pairing (even without an amp!)

I got mine for a pretty low price off eBay but I'm pretty sure they can be had for under or around AU$200

Paul

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dswill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sleek look cool, but my main use with them is listening in bed/resting so I reckon their size will be an issue.

The Sleek SA6 are smaller then both the older style superfi's by a huge margin and still smaller then the new style. Its not really close even. Im not trying to change your mind, I want the new superfi myself, but looking at the pictures of them found on their site they are way bigger then the Sleek SA6.

Link to Superfi - Store - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Attached pic of SA6

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No duty on items <$1000 AUD check it on google if you dont believe me.

Actually the threshold is if the duty + GST on the imported goods is less than $100, they don't bother charging. Practically, that means that for headphones the threshold for the product is a bit over $1000... but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back