best IEM around $100?
Sep 11, 2008 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

clubbinwar

New Head-Fier
guys, help me out please.
i got the limit of $110 to spend on new cans, and i need an IEM.
which one should i buy? RE2, Super.fi 4 or C751?

i will use it unamped with cowon d2. been used to the sound of koss' portapros, but i don't like it that much.
detailed mids and highs are necessary, but i don't like them harsh sounding.
a deep, good bass is a must too.
i'm almost buying the super.fis 4 but need a decent opinion from you ^^
thanks in advance

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 11
just a note...c551 are an option too, after all they cost the half of those ones i listed
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Of those you listed, I like the Denons best. Their sound is clean, clear and crisp. They have an excellent soundstage and very deep and powerful, tightly controlled bass.

I feel the highs are a little too bright so I knock them down a bit with an EQ and I also knock the bass down just a tad with the EQ. After tweaking, they approach $300 canalphones in sound quality.

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of those you listed, I like the Denons best. Their sound is clean, clear and crisp. They have an excellent soundstage and very deep and powerful, tightly controlled bass.

I feel the highs are a little too bright so I knock them down a bit with an EQ and I also knock the bass down just a tad with the EQ. After tweaking, they approach $300 canalphones in sound quality.

c751s right?
have you compared them to the c551s? the price difference makes me think seriously about getting those.

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by clubbinwar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
c751s right?
have you compared them to the c551s? the price difference makes me think seriously about getting those.

I never have heard the 551s so I can't comment on the difference between the two.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

c751s right?

The c551's have about 2-4 dB more bass reproduction the c700/c751's but lack details in the highs in the C700/751's. The c751's are a better all-round canalphone. Both have same nice deep bass reproduction only the c551's have more in terms of quantity.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The c551's have about 2-4 dB more bass reproduction the c700/c751's but lack details in the highs in the C700/751's. The c751's are a better all-round canalphone. Both have same nice deep bass reproduction only the c551's have more in terms of quantity.

hmm, got it.
i know the sound of the 751s are more detailed, but is it worth double the price? ($50 more)

edit: i see you have both c700s and RE2...how do they compare unamped on cowon d2? (for the same price)

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

hmm, got it.
i know the sound of the 751s are more detailed, but is it worth double the price? ($50 more)

edit: i see you have both c700s and RE2...how do they compare unamped on cowon d2? (for the same price)

C700's are better sound quality but have less isolation.
RE2's are good treble but lack bass.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 11
I'd say the Westone UM1 is the best in its price range, which is exactly what you stated. They're also very durable, and probably the most comfortable IEMs out there.

I haven't heard the RE2, but I wouldn't use something designed like that anyway. Isolation and over-the-ear are important.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 11
Not that I like the RE2s but they are very easy to wear over the ear. I do it with all of my canalphones with the same type of shape...CX300 shape. They are actually much more comfortable that way and seal so much better.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the Westone UM1 is the best in its price range, which is exactly what you stated. They're also very durable, and probably the most comfortable IEMs out there.

I haven't heard the RE2, but I wouldn't use something designed like that anyway. Isolation and over-the-ear are important.

i worry a lot more about SQ than isolation/comfort. have you compared the UM1 to the denons SQ-wise? (c700/751)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back