Best Home Theater Headphones sub $150 (not an audiophile) (Help much appreciated)
Mar 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Finlay09

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I've been creeping these forums for a while now, many a Google search has led me through here, and I figure the most effective way to find exactly what I need is to get in here and try to find an answer specific to me and my needs as I think everybodys wants / needs are different... Anyway, enough of that. I think the easiest way to do this is with a simple checklist, and I guess the more items a particular unit ticks off the better.

And again, any and all help is appreciated :)

1. Right off the top I'm thinking about $150 CAD taxes in (so about $130 +tx) More bang for buck is always welcome :)
  2. I'm going to be using these for movies and non competitive gaming, I don't mind using an EQ setting for competitive gaming.
  1. I'm looking for an over ear headphone Open or closed
  2. For sound, I want them to have good bass response, be a warmish clear, that's full, but not muddy. (hope that makes sense, lol)
  3. I don't have a tuned ear, and I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between a $100 pair and a $1000 pair.
  4. Comfort is important, I'm thinking about 4 hours as a max usage.
  5. My head is about average size, and I don't mind clamping if the ear pads are soft enough.
  6. Durability is Very Important, if I drop them, trip in the cord and send them flying, I need them to be able to hold up (any advice on known issues / weak points would be a great help)
  1. A replaceable cable is a big plus, (^^^Tripping / wear & tear) even if you have to disassemble them to do it. (like the Pioneer HDJ-1000)
  1. I'm a modder / tinkerer, so if a particular unit is significantly improved by making a modification then I'm all ears (especially if it saves me money :p)
  2. As far as headphone amps go I have a Denon Amp for my Home Theater, and I'm thinking about an Asus Xonar for my PC, but I don't think a unit that REQURES an amp would be best for me. (I could be wrong)
  1. For reference, I had Creative Fatal1ty's and I really enjoyed them until they recently broke (may get another pair someday) these have the bass response I like, but the mids and highs are sacrificed.
  2. I also still have Turtle Beach X11's which compared to the Fatal1ty's are much clearer, but haven't got much punch on the lower end.

I hope I covered all the points, if not I'll amend / add as necessary. It may look like I'm asking for the impossible, but it is only a checklist, I don't expect anything to nail every item on the list. <--- HOWEVER, if something does manage to do that I'd be willing to increase my $ limit :)

and again, Thanks for reading and replying, Cheers!

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 3
Bump
L3000.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 3
Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphones, $75.41
http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B006Y2BI04

Users who are viewing this thread

Back