best home rig headphones for 200 (or less)
Feb 16, 2008 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I feel the upgrade bug again, and am looking to replace my senn px100s, these are what I want in a new headphones

1. clear mids and highs, I prefer detail and neutrality over bass or colouration, and want the mids especially to be crystal clear, vocals, guitars etc

2. an upgrade from the px100s, i like the senns but I find them a bit muddy, and want something clearer

3. I like bass, but my techno collection is fairly small so light bass is fine, medium/heavy bass is great, but I don't want to sacrifice detail for it

4. a big sound stage, I love a huge soundstage

headphones i was looking at were the senns hd555 and grado 225s, more headphones recommendations are welcome

music i listen to is alot of folk, acoustic, indie rock, vocals heavy music, some classical etc

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 21
DT880s- probably the most detailed 'phones under 500$
they can be frequently had for ~180$ It's my next purchase after trying them from my friend for a week
biggrin.gif

However, they do require a fairly good amp (Meier audio I'm thinking). Grados might be good if you're looking for rock/acustic music, but detail present in DT880s are amazing

I hope that helped!

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 21
oh, sorry I forgot to mention, I don't want to buy an amp at all and these will all be powered through my home rig via my X-Fi xtrememusic soundcard so I want some headphones that are easy to power

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, sorry I forgot to mention, I don't want to buy an amp at all and these will all be powered through my home rig via my X-Fi xtrememusic soundcard

So your not really looking for a rig... Really just a set of headphones?

Your title is a bit misleading IMO.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 21
sorry, what I meant is I want headphones for my home rig, not an entire rig

I thought of the grados 225s and the senns 555s because I heard they were easy to drive and fairly cheap

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, sorry I forgot to mention, I don't want to buy an amp at all and these will all be powered through my home rig via my X-Fi xtrememusic soundcard so I want some headphones that are easy to power

Without an amp, grab the grados 225 that are on sale on the forum. ($150 with the shipping included and the seller is in Ottawa.) http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-225-a-297109/

Cheers

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 21
ive seen the hd555s on the sale forum for as low as 70 bucks. im trying to convince my friend to get some.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 21
the op said he wanted a huge soundstage, I have my sr-225 on my head right now and I don't think he's going to like them at all just for this reason, they do everything else he wants right though.

The dt880 I do not own, but have heard, and I think they will meet his requirements perfectly price-wise and performance. Only problem is he's not willing to amp them ( maybe in the future? ) but I'd bet they will still blow him away.

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe stretch the budget for K701s?

K701s are even pickier when it comes to amps :S
I tried 3 amps before I bought PH-12s...Which sounds absolutely gorgeous btw
biggrin.gif

when I had DT880 on a loan - I was running it with my Arietta amp and it sounded great
biggrin.gif
so it's less to spend on an amp.

I can't think of any neutral phones with good soundstage and neutrality...
ES-7s come somewhat close, but their mids are colored...

anyone tried K271s unamped? I'm just throwing it out there but I have never got a chance to try them...

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-AD900

I thought it has too much bass (although great quality bass) but their mids are quite colored....I'm hesitant to recommend AT 'phones of their coloration :S
Sony V6 is pretty neutral but they simply aren't as good as some of other 'phones under 200$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back