Best high quality iems in $400-$800 range for bass lover
Apr 15, 2012 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

tdshain

100+ Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all. I was looking strongly at the Sennheiser ie 80s, but heard that the 800s are due out this summer.

I have listened to the ie 8s and really liked the bass response, but the clarity wasn't quite at the level I'm looking for. When I'm listening to dance music, I want to be able to close my eyes and feel like I'm in a club. However, I don't want this to detract from the sound of different types of music.

I heard that the 80s are similar to the 8s, but with enhanced clarity and that's exactly what I'm looking for. However, I don't want to pull the trigger only to find out that the 800s also have a similar sound signature but with further improved clarity. I've done extensive research and still haven't stumbled across any other high quality headphones that are known for having excellent bass response. I don't have a problem using an equalizer to bring up the bass when necessary, but the iem has to be able to produce the sound.

I'm interested in universal iems that retail in the $400-$800 range. Customs aren't really an option for now, because I frequently lend my headphones to my girlfriend.

So should I pull the trigger on the ie 80s or do you think I the 800s will be similar and worth holding out for? Alternatively, is there something I've overlooking in the price range that might be closer to the sound I'm looking for?

Another product I was looking at was the Westone 4r. From the reviews and impressions, they might be exactly what I'm looking for as far as balance and clarity, but I'm worried that they wont be able to put out the amount of bass that I need. Another example of this problem was with my last pair of headphones, the Klipsch Custom 3s. They never had enough bass output and if I turned it up too high on the eq, they would start to sound terrible.

Hopefully some more experienced members can help me with this decision.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 59
Forgot to mention that I do a lot of walking downtown (heavy foot and vehicle traffic) so isolation is important. That being said, I've never had an issue getting a good seal on a pair of headphones, but it's still an important factor to be taken into consideration. I really don't want to hear anything but the music when I have both iems in.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 59
The Westone 3, PFE232, Sennheiser IE80, JVC FX700 are recommended and IE80 are more clearer in mids, highs than IE8.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 59

Quote:
The Westone 3, PFE232, Sennheiser IE80, JVC FX700 are recommended and IE80 are more clearer in mids, highs than IE8.

I've looked into most of these and am not sold on any of them, I don't mind spending a bit extra to get the right sound.

I'm already looking into the ie 80s, but don't want to pull the trigger if people think the 800 is going to be a better option for me.

I have mixed feelings about the Westone 3, I'm much more interested in the 4r actually, but worried that it won't provide the bass response I'm looking for, even when maxed out on eq.

I' haven't really liked what I've heard about the FX700, a lot of reviews say the sound is muddy. I prefer to have a lot of clarity as I listen to many different genres, a few of which require great clarity for me to really enjoy them.

I haven't really seen or heard anything about the PFE232. I'm looking into it now, but can you tell me more? Why do you recommend it?

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 59
The PFE232 has filters to shape sound you like most (mids forward, bassheavy, more balanced) overall it's very detailed and balanced.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 59
Whats PFE232? I need more info on them to look them up like who makes them?? I never heard that number before.....

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 59
It's Phonak Audio.........

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 59
Never mind I found them -Phonak Audeo's high end model...very cool looking but I just read a middling review saying it was Ok for tinkerers but really overpriced basically. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 59
you are doing yourself a injustice by not going customs, whatever the case is, i just dont think that the best of universals really can compete with customs. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 59

Quote:
you are doing yourself a injustice by not going customs, whatever the case is, i just dont think that the best of universals really can compete with customs. 

I am certainly interested in customs down the road. However, for now I feel that universals are the best option for a number of reasons. Like I previously stated, I share headphones with my girlfriend constantly, so customs don't work out for that synergy. Also, I love sharing music almost as much as listening to it; with custom's that's a lot more difficult as it will never be the same experience for anyone I share with. Another reason I've been holding out is that 21, but I'm still growing. In fact, my father and uncles didn't finish growing completely till their mid 20's. I don't want to end up in a situation where I have great customs that don't fit and can't be reshelled.

That being said, if you have suggestions for customs in my price range, I'll certainly look into them. I'm ruling nothing out.

@PFE232: I've checked out a few reviews and from what I've gathered so far they outperform many of the headphones in my price range that I've looked at (westone 4r, shure 535, sennheiser ie 80). They appear to have the best of everything, but I haven't read enough impressions to truly make an informed decisions. Does anyone have anything specific to say about these iems, or know where I can find some good comprehensive reviews?

So far I've read that they have excellent detail and strong bass, but I do have a few concerns. One is that the bass will not be powerful enough (can anyone give me some perspective on this, with and without eq). The other is that the sibilance might bother me or that the sound wont be smooth enough.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 59
Any impressions on the PFE 232 at all? I found a good deal on them and the reviews look good. I just need some opinions on whether or not it will be able to deliver the bass response I'm looking for. I want that 'in the club' feeling when I listen to dance music. The bass needs to hit hard, but remain accurate. 

Anyone?

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 59

Quote:
Any impressions on the PFE 232 at all? I found a good deal on them and the reviews look good. I just need some opinions on whether or not it will be able to deliver the bass response I'm looking for. I want that 'in the club' feeling when I listen to dance music. The bass needs to hit hard, but remain accurate. 

Anyone?

From what I remember reading, PFE232 doesn't have that much bass. Have you looked into the TF10? I don't think it has the level of bass response as an IE8/80 but more than most balanced armatures. Its considered a fun earphone because of its emphasis on lows and highs with slightly recessed mids. Also inexpensive due to the black friday sale.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 59
Most IEM'S in that price range generally don't have heavy heavy bass. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:
Most IEM'S in that price range generally don't have heavy heavy bass. 

*cough* Sennheiser IE8/80/800** *cough*

**The IE800 is only speculated to have heavy bass, but may not as it has not been released yet.  Nothing is known about this IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back