Best high quality iems in $400-$800 range for bass lover
Apr 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #31 of 59

Quote:
I remember seeing CleOS say that the SuperDarts are not for the vocal lover. Unfortunately, I am very much a vocal lover. This is why I'm having such a hard time. It's difficult to find a device that provides everything I want. I really want a natural and balanced sound across frequencies that will bring out the best of every genre of music. There are quite a few iems that seem to fit this description. However, it get's complicated when I also want a powerful and accurate sub bass response for dance music. It's very difficult to find a device that can meet both of those needs.

The 232 seems like it might be just right, but I really need to know more about how far I can push the bass. Could you give me an example of some songs that don't have the best texture and why?

Also, I know I'm sort of grilling you. I hope it's not too much of an inconvenience and I want you to know that your input is very helpful so far and it really means a lot.

No they are not for the vocal lover: male vocals are kind of sacrificed while female sound OK :p  So those won't work for you. 

I'll go through listening to the 232s tomorrow.  I don't remember any song names, just remember there were some songs :p  Again, I'll do some serious listening tomorrow night.  The main sub-bass that is missing is normally due to "explosions" though (you lose that texture) with one origin point.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #32 of 59
Could you be a little more descriptive with "explosions" if it means what I think then it isn't a dealbreaker at all.

Quote:
No they are not for the vocal lover: male vocals are kind of sacrificed while female sound OK :p  So those won't work for you. 

I'll go through listening to the 232s tomorrow.  I don't remember any song names, just remember there were some songs :p  Again, I'll do some serious listening tomorrow night.  The main sub-bass that is missing is normally due to "explosions" though (you lose that texture) with one origin point.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #33 of 59
Future Sonics MG6Pros are customs. They have been making customs since 1985. U2, Steely Dan, NIN, Tom Petty, Sting, red Hot Chilli peppers use them.

Quote:
It is an unusual price range. Basically 800 is my cap right now and that's pushing it a bit, but there seems to be kind of a jump from $500-800 with not a whole lot in between (that I've seen). There seem to be a lot of high quality iems starting around 400 so that's why my range is what it is.

Anyway, intriguing suggestions. I'll look into both of them.

Sounds sublime, although as previously stated, I'm really looking at customs right now and these are priced a bit outside of my current budget. Definitely something I'll write down for the future though. I may just revisit these in a couple years when customs are more realistic for me.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #34 of 59

Quote:
Could you be a little more descriptive with "explosions" if it means what I think then it isn't a dealbreaker at all.

I don't have too many songs that use this, but it's more like an impact that results in a single ripple texture (sometimes it's multiple, but the 232 don't struggle with multiple as much as they do with single).  It's a really deep texture that sort of jolts you in a way. I'll be sure to test and EQ to confirm that they can be EQed up possibly. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #35 of 59
That was a typo on my part. I meant to write that I'm *not* really looking into customs. I stated the reasons in my first or second post. Anyhow it was very interesting advice and I took down some info for later. Might be a purchase I make 1-2 years down the road.

Quote:
Future Sonics MG6Pros are customs. They have been making customs since 1985. U2, Steely Dan, NIN, Tom Petty, Sting, red Hot Chilli peppers use them.

Interesting, pretty sure I know what you are talking about. I imagine that would be very hard to replicate at all in an iem. Wouldn't expect any of the other products I've been looking at to handle it any better. Also it's a pretty obscure effect, not a dealbreaker.

Also, I sent you a pm, get back to me when you can.

Quote:
I don't have too many songs that use this, but it's more like an impact that results in a single ripple texture (sometimes it's multiple, but the 232 don't struggle with multiple as much as they do with single).  It's a really deep texture that sort of jolts you in a way. I'll be sure to test and EQ to confirm that they can be EQed up possibly. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #36 of 59

Good luck in cans I myself have not found a great one yeat and my budget is $1000.

Quote:
That was a typo on my part. I meant to write that I'm *not* really looking into customs. I stated the reasons in my first or second post. Anyhow it was very interesting advice and I took down some info for later. Might be a purchase I make 1-2 years down the road.

Interesting, pretty sure I know what you are talking about. I imagine that would be very hard to replicate at all in an iem. Wouldn't expect any of the other products I've been looking at to handle it any better. Also it's a pretty obscure effect, not a dealbreaker.

Also, I sent you a pm, get back to me when you can.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #40 of 59

Quote:
Haha get the UM Merlin and never look back or ponder about an upgrade again.

i agree but i believe the OP is dead set on universals 
blink.gif
 in the 800.00 price range.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #42 of 59
what do you mean by clarity? in the bass or overall?

Quote:

I have listened to the ie 8s and really liked the bass response, but the clarity wasn't quite at the level I'm looking for. When I'm listening to dance music, I want to be able to close my eyes and feel like I'm in a club. However, I don't want this to detract from the sound of different types of music.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #43 of 59

Quote:
Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros right now for customs. In a few years (after I'm certain that I've finished growing) I will look at them more seriously.

i hear ya, that is a valid point. maybe whatever universal iem you get look into a aftermarket cable to farther better the sound quality.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #44 of 59
Overall, maybe clarity isn't the best term to use. I want a natural sound across all frequencies that can bring out the best in the very different genres that I listen to. Additionally, I want a powerful sub bass, not overpowering, but it has to be there when I need it. However, I still want it to be fast and accurate, not booming and muddy. It may be a lot to ask for, but I've set aside a pretty decent amount of money to find what I'm looking for

It's been about 2 years since I listened to the ie 8s, so my perception of them is probably not very accurate anymore. I enjoyed them, I just feel like I could do better within my price range. Right now I'm looking strongly at the PFE 232s.
Quote:
what do you mean by clarity? in the bass or overall?

I've been researching amps and cables, the trick is finding something that compliments the chosen device.

Quote:
i hear ya, that is a valid point. maybe whatever universal iem you get look into a aftermarket cable to farther better the sound quality.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #45 of 59
if possible try the ie8s again with the mid bass eqed down 4-5 dbs and the mids/lower highs up 1 or 2 dbs, this gets rid of the veil which i disliked. This is with the cowon j3 (with bbe at 6) and the lowest bass setting on the ie8 knobs.

Quote:
Overall, maybe clarity isn't the best term to use. I want a natural sound across all frequencies that can bring out the best in the very different genres that I listen to. Additionally, I want a powerful sub bass, not overpowering, but it has to be there when I need it. However, I still want it to be fast and accurate, not booming and muddy. It may be a lot to ask for, but I've set aside a pretty decent amount of money to find what I'm looking for

It's been about 2 years since I listened to the ie 8s, so my perception of them is probably not very accurate anymore. I enjoyed them, I just feel like I could do better within my price range. Right now I'm looking strongly at the PFE 232s.

I've been researching amps and cables, the trick is finding something that compliments the chosen device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back