Best High End Universal IEM, NOT A REPEATED THREAD
Apr 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #46 of 60
EarSonics SM2dlx and SM3, look it up, you will be surprised. I have tried to many and the SM2dlx have been the ones.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #47 of 60
The EQ-7 are pretty nice for metal, I find; it's an interesting sound signature. I use them when outdoors, and use IE8's inside, because the sennheisers don't isolate too well. I wear the Ortofons over the ear, I've never actually tried them cable down. My ear canals point downwards, so I point the EQ-7 at an upward angle when I put them in, and they slide pretty easily. If I put them in straight horizontally it will take a few tries. I would describe my canals as medium size, not large, but don't have fit issues, and would not describe them as uncomfortable. The are not as comfy as the IE8, though. I also find that pushing them too far in will muddy the bass, but pulling them out barely a millimeter fixes it. I would describe the Ortofon bass as punchy; if you enjoy bands that have good bassists and audible bass lines, you'll love them. I was listening to Atheist, Cynic, Kyuss and Pestilence on the train yesterday, and it was still coming through pretty well. Drums will also have a nice impact sound/texture, and I'm really loving the cymbals.

Build quality seems pretty solid; they are essentially hollowed out alluminum tubes. I'm not fond of the corded cable (computer mice have them too now, the kinks never seem to come out). I also dislike that it doesn't have an L shaped plug, almost a dealbreaker for me, and not having a cinch is just bizarre; no reason not to have one on an expensive phone. On the other hand, Monster's offerings are just plain foul looking. I don't care what they sound like, I'm not a pimp out to get his money from his ho's. The Ortofon is elegant looking, and sounds great. I would not be seen in public with the Monsters.

Hope this helps, I've had these basically since the first week of march, so i have a fair amount of time on them. I actually think they've warmed up slightly since then, but I've loved them since I first put them in, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #48 of 60
I have heard most of these and I feel that right now the very best universal fit IEM's are the DBA-02's from Fischer Audio. They are absolutely stunning.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #49 of 60
i got my e-Q7s today and have been listening to them all day. i think they sound the best for chinese pop. pretty good for metal too as it just exposes all the details especially in CoB songs. the only problem i have with the e-Q7s is that they bring things forward and just hold your attention. you are always just actively listening to them. i prefer this so i do like them. im very tired today so they are kinda hurting my ears.

i was comparing them with Miles Davis and they are more laid back. the high end treble is better with these but double bass pedals dont have that speed the e-Q7s provide.

if youre an active listener, e-Q7s. if you like to be laid back and chill with your music then MDs.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #51 of 60
The se530 is the best IMO. The treble roll can be fixed by eq the 14-16kz up a notch (especially on the Sony walkmans). Generally I don't notice the treble roll off with most of my music. I think it is a bit exaggerated on this forum. After that it is some of the smoothest most liquid sound you will ever hear.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #52 of 60
For me, the MTP Coppers & Orto e-Q7's are pretty much neck and neck for top universal IEM. I own the Coppers, and have been lucky to spend quite a bit of time w/ the e-Q7. My wallet won't like it, but I'm sure I'll be owning both in a couple of months. I know tip selection makes a huge difference, but I'm not able to replicate some users' complaints that the Coppers are necessarily "bass heavy." I find them to be very accurate, and provide that visceral punch when the recording calls for it...goes to show you, all of our ears are different. Perhaps I've just been lucky to find in the Coppers a pair of IEMs that are a perfect fit for me (w/ the white SuperTips).

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #53 of 60
I have my list down to these headphones

Westone 3

Shure SE530

MTP copper

E-Q7

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #54 of 60
I think SM3 should be on the list
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #55 of 60
My recomendation according what I've heard best for me is W3 and SM3, IMO W3 and SM3 is on the same level, but its different, Hard to explain
frown.gif
.. But W3 is more famous.. SM3 is good but not many people know about it
smily_headphones1.gif
.. Cause its a legendary iem
smily_headphones1.gif
.. At least that what i think

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EarSonics SM2dlx and SM3, look it up, you will be surprised. I have tried to many and the SM2dlx have been the ones.

Agree with this .. How about just buy a SM3 and you will be amaze by it
wink.gif
.. Or maybe W3.. Its lile SM3 Rival

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agree with this .. How about just buy a SM3 and you will be amaze by it
wink.gif
.. Or maybe W3.. Its like SM3 Rival

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #58 of 60
I've come to a decision, the westones cost too much, and I'm not thrilled about the things I'm hearing about them (bright sound, quiet mids, overblown bass) The MTP coppers look too expensive, and I've had bad experiences with headphones that are bass focused either blowing out compulsively, having poor sound quality, creating massive amounts of pressure in my ears, or a combination of the three. Finally, the E-Q7 sound like they will be overly bright and too expensive. The only headphones I hear consistent good things about are the SE530 which are the cheapest "high end" universal fit IEM I can find, second only to the TF10 which only sound progressively less appealing.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffdpmaggot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a link to somewhere that I can purchase an SM3 from? I would also like to see a review. My other issue is that they look REALLy uncomfortable.

First, don't fall to quickly for the hype
smily_headphones1.gif

Second, they can only be purchased here :

EarSonics ® / Ear Sonics in-ear monitors / custom earphones / in ears / ear monitors / earplugs / earmolds.

(prices are shown WITH VAT - 19,6 % - , but if your order them from an other country they'll remove it)

They're not uncomfortable at all (I have the SM2 which are exactly the same size and they fit precisely like the Westone 3). They really have the exact same ergonomics than the Westones.

A review can be found there in French :

Test écouteurs IEM EarSonics SM3 | Le Journal du Geek

The Google translation is half true / half misleading.

This thread on this forum address their qualities as well (French) :

[Information] Rhâââââ^lovely ! SM3 Earsonics - Forum GenerationMP3

(again, beware of Google translation).

All in all all those who tried them are just raving about them, except one poster (though it seems he has more specific requirements and seems to not adjust too well to IEMs).

As far as I'm concerned, I prefer to think that they'll be in the UM3x, IE8 and Co class, but it actually is very likely they'll be in a new high end class above (Earsonics has the know-how to do that if they really want to, and the SM2 is already in that class). The reason is that this way I won't be disapointed if I ever try them
smily_headphones1.gif

If I get them (unlikely at the moment since I hesitate with full size cans), I'll write an extensive review in English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back