Best 'High-End' Portable Headphones - Can a pair of cans meet such demands?
Jul 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Batz

New Head-Fier
Unintentional rhyming there.

So, I'm on the move alot. Walking, using the bus, crowded subways to get to and back from school and whatnot and I'm in need of something portable, but at the same time high-end and preferably closed. I italicized that high-end part because I have no other way to put it, but lets say there's no budget here. Going on all out on a pair of cans that'll be used alot.

I've done my fair share of snooping around for some but can never really make up my mind or really find the right pair of headphones. I've been flip flopping between phones such as Sennheiser HD25s and more expensive ones such as the Ultrasone Edition 8 line. But there's always some criteria they don't meet, so I need the Head-Fi community to help me settle this.

Here are some thoughts I'd like to share:

1. They have to be over the ear headphones. Not on ear, not IEM's even though I'm an IEM lover. Need to cover my average sized ears and give me a solid headphone experience.
  2. Closed please! I don't mind the bulky feel either.
  1. Durability is must ofcourse. Have to be able to take a hit or a thousand. Fitting and padding and their materials should be taken into account aswell. I've never owned any headphones that have been unsually uncomfortable, but still worth the mention.
  2. I live in Canada. We have awful winters that I do have to endure, but sweat-filled summers as well. I use IEM's in such cases, but take that into consideration anyways.
  1. Cord is important here. Especially the length. Preferably nothing more than 1.2-1.5m, or not so long so that I have to pull out some velcro strips and get my tyin' on. :D
  2. No coiled cord! Had the ATH-M50 with coiled cord, and what a horrible experience that was.
  3. Detachable cords anyone? A must maybe. My Sony MDR-XB700 cables ripped apart when they got tangled as I was climbing over a fence (deep breathes...). Loved the flat cabling though, but such a sad story.
  4. Strong and durable cords. Duh.
  5. The AKG K550s were on my list aswell. But the cord was a major problem. Long and wasn't detachable. It's still a choice though, but more likely for a transportable rig if I ever bother to put one together. Somewhat the same for the Ultrasone Edition 8, shame they don't fancy the detachable line.
  6. I'm a neck wearer. A pair of headphones are usually always being worn as if it were a necklace. So nothing to overwhelming and large. One's that can fold too, and maybe fit into my backpack, like the AKG K550.
  7. Looks are important too, not vital. As I said, I always have a pair on me, and I could never really pull off the clown look.
  8. For example, I love the looks of the AKG K550s and PSB M4U 2. Something fashionable I guess. With the M4U 2 though, it's on the list but I've never had a try on of these and have alot of questions. Is it $400.00 pair just for the technology or can it still be considered worthfull without them? How is the portability and soundstage?
  9. I despise the looks of the V-Moda line. Love their warranty policy though. Hated just about Beyerdynamic and Bose headphone look. Also the Sennheiser HD25s are pretty bad. Hate the headbands style...

1. In the end, the sound is the key. There must be a solid and balanced soundstage with nothing too overwhelming, bright, upfront or recessed, and vocals should be as clear as day. I'm not a bass lover, but I like a bump here and now. When I do headphone tryouts, I use Secret's by OneRepublic - instrumental by TDLProductionsUK on youtube. Would love some cans who could handle that.
  2. I listen to a variety of Genres (so everyone says). But mainly it's Alt. Rock to me. Hip-Hop, Rap, Metal, Techno, Jazz , Grunge, Dubstep, instrumentals all find their way to fit in there. For the summer, Techno and dance come to life though.
  3. Lifehouse is my favourite band. Hanging By A Moment has 1000 something plays - in iTunes... just to throw out there. I would love some headphones that can be make me re-fall in love with that song again!
  4. The sources are my iPod Classic 160gb and FiOO E17/E11. Would consider the change if necessary.
  5. No real budget. Just to reiterate.

Don't know what else to mention... Sorry if this post is the tl;dr type, or if I come off douchey. And sorry to staff if this is the wrong section or breaks any rules. I'm new here, hope that's a good enough excuse to not warrant a but-kicking.

So Head-fi, shoot. Find a pair of headphones that can meet such criteria. Don't meet all of them ofcourse, it's the suggestions that would be nice. I've been pecking myself over this for too long, and need your guys help to finally settle this, even though there's not much that was settled on my part. Ignore that. Consider this a challenge. Or helping a fellow music-lover, if you're the humanitirian type.

Looking forward to suggestions! 
smile.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 16
If you can get past the looks, the V-MODA M-100 is about to come out and that seems like it would meet all your criteria.  The M-80 is awesome, and the M-100 is an over-ear version of it.  If it's a bigger, better version of the M-80 then it should be an EASY winner.  Check out the M-100 thread.  I personally feel like the V-MODAs look awesome, some of the best looking cans on the market and I think a lot of people agree so maybe they'll grow on you?

The Phiaton MS400 might be worth a look, they're sharp looking cans too.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
If you can get past the looks, the V-MODA M-100 is about to come out and that seems like it would meet all your criteria.  The M-80 is awesome, and the M-100 is an over-ear version of it.  If it's a bigger, better version of the M-80 then it should be an EASY winner.  Check out the M-100 thread.  I personally feel like the V-MODAs look awesome, some of the best looking cans on the market and I think a lot of people agree so maybe they'll grow on you?

The Phiaton MS400 might be worth a look, they're sharp looking cans too.

V-Moda's have always been on the list, I just feel like I'm settling for them. I've come across the Phiaton line, never really liked the look though.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
I haven't auditioned these but the fairly new Focal Spirit One appears to satisfy much of your criteria.  

The spirit ones from what I've read aren't really durable and can't handle wear & tear. Which is an issue. Also, they seem to get alot of negative reviews for their sound. Shame, solid looking headphones though.

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

you also dislike the all black ms400s?

Sorry but yeah. Sorry if I'm being too picky with the looks here.

Quote:
Ultrasone Signature Pro.

Look no further.

I've seen them, really interesting choice, but never really sure. Are they worth the price and fit my criteria? These headphones I expect to use for years to come. I need to 100% on board with the headphones.

Quote:
Second the M100. Some places also sell a custom M50 with detachable cable too you can look into.

The look though 0.0

The ATH-M50s? Really? I heard people mod it, but never actually manufacture them for sale. Mind linking me?

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Sorry but yeah. Sorry if I'm being too picky with the looks here.

I've seen them, really interesting choice, but never really sure. Are they worth the price and fit my criteria? These headphones I expect to use for years to come. I need to 100% on board with the headphones.

The look though 0.0

The ATH-M50s? Really? I heard people mod it, but never actually manufacture them for sale. Mind linking me?

It's not an official thing I don't think but soundprofessionals have them and they include their own warranty.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

It's not an official thing I don't think but soundprofessionals have them and they include their own warranty.

Excellent suggestion. No extra cost, and they accept Paypal. I liked the ATH-M50 very much, which is why I'm hesitant, but this is definitely top of the list for now. Thanks!

Still open to other suggestions for sure. Keep em' coming. :)

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 16
if you don't mind the bulkiness.. akg k271 though that isn't exactly of the portable type. Those things I felt like I could throw anywhere and have it come out victorious.

M-Audio Q40s might also be a possibility. They look like they can stand a beating and fit most of your desires.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
if you don't mind the bulkiness.. akg k271 though that isn't exactly of the portable type. Those things I felt like I could throw anywhere and have it come out victorious.

M-Audio Q40s might also be a possibility. They look like they can stand a beating and fit most of your desires.

The Q40s... They're a mess. The K271 are a lovely suggestion, but they're not THAT portable, or atleast not portable enough for what I'm trying to get.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 16
I own the Edition 8s. For about 6 months now.

The SigPro is better sounding, and more robust. They will last for years on end. And it will comfort you to know that these are the best sounding closed-back, isolating headphones there is on the market out there. Its not even fair to compare them to the ATH-M50 or the V-moda M80 and what not. They're not even on the same class. Completely different category. Phiatons, Focals. Completely different category.

Its like comparing a commercial mid-class Hyundai together with a commercial mid-class Honda to a top of the line Mercedez Benz. Its give and take between a Hyundai and the Honda. But not even close.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
I own the Edition 8s. For about 6 months now.

The SigPro is better sounding, and more robust. They will last for years on end. And it will comfort you to know that these are the best sounding closed-back, isolating headphones there is on the market out there. Its not even fair to compare them to the ATH-M50 or the V-moda M80 and what not. They're not even on the same class. Completely different category. Phiatons, Focals. Completely different category.

Its like comparing a commercial mid-class Hyundai together with a commercial mid-class Honda to a top of the line Mercedez Benz. Its give and take between a Hyundai and the Honda. But not even close.

I've been thinking about it since you first mentioned. Read some reviews and so on... I'm really leaning towards the Sigpro now. Just jumped to top my list. I'm going to wait awhile, but I can say this is the best headphones I can find to fit my Criteria. I don't like the look, at all really, but wow these are as perfect as it can get.

Really appreciate it, wilzc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back