Best headphones you can get?
Jul 21, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They didn't even sell close to that back when...but nice idea
icon10.gif
I'm having a R10/CD3000 shootout with a friend early next week. I've never heard the CD3000s, so this should be fun!

basshead.gif
You're going to post your impressions, right? Are they stock CD3000's?

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #32 of 53
I agree with everything Chu said, except for the bit about tube amps
biggrin.gif

The R10s are/were expensive to buy, but expensive to make as well. R&D alone must have cost a pretty penny. I pulled these quotes from Sony out of markl's fine review of the R10s from 2001:

“Hangers made of magnesium that attach the housings to the head-band reduce resonance. Magnesium was chosen because of its excellent vibration attenuation and absorption qualities. To prevent mechanical vibration, such as those of the cord or headband, a housing insulator was placed between the ear pad and the baffle plate.”

“After extensive testing of materials from all over the world, the heart-wood of mature Zelkova trees was selected as most suitable for the housing of the MDR-R1O. Evaluation was made in terms of hardness, timbre, weight, and overall sound-transferability characteristics. In order to overcome the problem of designing housing that could produce a natural, distortion-free sound, engineers used the FRESDAM (Freeform Shape Design and Manufacture) computer-aided design system. A delicate waveform was carved out of the interior wall, achieving sound expansion and acoustics equivalent to that of a concert hall.”

I believe the R10s were first brought out in 1989 and though I don't know exactly when they were discontinued (now I'm curious and will find out), I know that they were still available in 2002. If you think about it, the mass popularity of headphones, outside professional use, is fairly recent, but mostly due to the influx of portable devices. I would say that half, if not more of the threads in the headphone forum reflect that. Although there's also an increased market for home use, I think companies have accurately guaged the price-point most consumers will pay for quality home headphones ($200-$500). If you were Sony, with your headphone share being minimal at best, would you rather market millions of inexpensive portable phones and hundred of thousands of mid-priced home phones, or mere hundreds of top-of-the-line headphones per year. I've also been told that individual craftsman were responsible for creating each housing, and part of the reason the R10s disappeared were due to the expense of their expertise as well (I don't know if that's true, but that seems a side shot at best). Whatever the underlying reasons, it was a business decision I understand, but it still makes me sad.

I am hopeful, however, that there may be a resurgence in developments. As more people become interested in hi-end headphones, companies may become more interested in meeting that interest. The demand for better quality iems is growing, and people are willing to spend the money to get what they want. Those same consumers, who may have started out wanting only a great portable, may become equally interested and demanding of higher quality home headphones. We'll see. We'll see.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basshead.gif
You're going to post your impressions, right? Are they stock CD3000's?

Yup. I'm actually very excited, which means I'm even more a weirdo than my friends accuse me of being. Ah well.

EDIT: stock as far as I know

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

I am hopeful, however, that there may be a resurgence in developments. As more people become interested in hi-end headphones, companies may become more interested in meeting that interest. The demand for better quality iems is growing, and people are willing to spend the money to get what they want. Those same consumers, who may have started out wanting only a great portable, may become equally interested and demanding of higher quality home headphones. We'll see. We'll see.

You are certainly not alone wishing and hoping for more Hi-End headphones.
Cause its a shame that most of the Hi-End headphones are out of production (because they were limited edition, did not sell well, company went bankrupt, ...).

I would love to see new headphones from these manufacturers, on par with their products from the past:
* Sennheiser (HE90, HE60)
* Sony (MDR-R10, Qualia 010)
* Grado (PS1, HP1000)
* Audio-Technica (L3000)
* AKG (K1000)

Luckily Stax have not given up on this market!
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #35 of 53
If you can get your hands on some HE60's and a nice amplifier/ source, your ears will be in heaven and you will probably not catch upgraditis.

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are certainly not alone wishing and hoping for more Hi-End headphones.
Cause its a shame that most of the Hi-End headphones are out of production (because they were limited edition, did not sell well, company went bankrupt, ...).

I would love to see new headphones from these manufacturers, on par with their products from the past:
* Sennheiser (HE90, HE60)
* Sony (MDR-R10, Qualia 010)
* Grado (PS1, HP1000)
* Audio-Technica (L3000)
* AKG (K1000)

Luckily Stax have not given up on this market!
biggrin.gif

That's my list, too! But stop mentioning Stax! After hearing a pair of headphiled woody Lambda Pros from a Woo GES and Esoteric SA10, I can't stop thinking about them. I'd expected the detail, clarity and breadth, but weight?...these things had real, palpable weight to them! Stunning! That wasn't supposed to be there. The Stax thread has been sucking me in since then, page by page, day by day, but I'm staying strong....I think...really...
eek.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

That's my list, too! But stop mentioning Stax! After hearing a pair of headphiled woody Lambda Pros from a Woo GES and Esoteric SA10, I can't stop thinking about them. I'd expected the detail, clarity and breadth, but weight?...these things had real, palpable weight to them! Stunning! That wasn't supposed to be there. The Stax thread has been sucking me in since then, page by page, day by day, but I'm staying strong....I think...really...
eek.gif

The Lambda Pro sure is a great headphones. I rank it at #2 or 3 of all the headphones I have ever listened to. Only beaten by the Omega II, and probably the 4070.
Never heard the HE90, R10 or K1000 though.

Stay strong, and you might be able to stay clear of Stax! I did not...
lambda.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #39 of 53
Grado SR325i.

more durable than plastic or wood, and the most unique out of all the Grados.

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

The Lambda Pro sure is a great headphones. I rank it at #2 or 3 of all the headphones I have ever listened to. Only beaten by the Omega II, and probably the 4070.
Never heard the HE90, R10 or K1000 though.

Stay strong, and you might be able to stay clear of Stax! I did not...
lambda.gif

Stop it, I say! Isn't it bad enough that I've bookmarked a pretty page with jet black OIIs? Isn't it enough that I've downloaded and saved apt posts regarding same? Can't you people leave me in my dynamic heaven in peace? It's the Stax mafia, I tell ya. Back off!
lambda.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose TriPorts.

Wow...ain't you a clever boy......................NOT!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR325i.

more durable than plastic or wood, and the most unique out of all the Grados.

Uh...wrong thread....seriously...wrong thread....

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

It's the Stax mafia, I tell ya. Back off!
lambda.gif

Yes, miss! I will back off..
rolleyes.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Yes, miss! I will back off..
rolleyes.gif

Not really. I've got about a billion and two questions I'll ask later. Now, I must go to work so I can afford what I'm pretending I don't want.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #43 of 53
Thank you very much.

I've searched information about all the phones listed in this thread so far.

It's inreresting - when you buy a headset at $3-4000 range - are they really better than speakers at the same pricerange? Well, i do believe that speakers give you more soundstage, but there won't be any sound details loss, as with headphones everything goes directly inside your ears.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #44 of 53
headphones are sometimes more than 1/10th the price of loudspeakers with the same quality.

in ear headphones usually cost a bit more for sound quality but you get sound isolation and portability out of them.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Einstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
</snip>

Price isn't problem here, because i'm not the one who wants to waste money.

Then who is this nut that wants to spend 3 Gs on headphones? I still haven't figured out how people spend so much on headphones and then have crappy speakers at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back