Best headphones under $80
Jul 21, 2010 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

acersales

New Head-Fier
Hi!

So far I have had CREATIVE EP600 (small in-ear earphones) and SONY MDR-V6 (big headphones).

The creative were alright and the price was great - $9. However I found the Sony too crispy and extremely high without much bass response. They cost me $80.

I am looking for a pair of headphones (doesn't matter size) under $80 with CLEAR DEFINITION and a nice BASS response... do they exist?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 15
Seems weird that you say the V6's have weak bass response. What are you running them out of?

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 15
iphone, ipod, computer, macbook... too crispy and not bassy. Seems like listening to the radio.... are there any other headhpones or mini-headphones that suit my needs (good bass and good definition) under $80? should I just stick to my Sony V6? thanks!

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 15
I have noticed the V6's sound bass light from iPods. Not much I could recommend though, since the V6's are the newest addition to my headphone family, and I can't really recommend anything better than that.

I guess you could always invest in a bass boosting amp or something.

My only other experience within this price range is with the XB700's. They definitely have more toned down highs, but they are slightly muffled in comparison, with huge bass. A little thumpy, a little boomy, but not too bad.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 15
Well, somebody has to say it - the highly regarded (for budget phones) Grado SR-60s are under $80.

The circumaural Goldring DR-100 can be found for $50 right now - it's a $100 pair of phones that apparently compares well with the Grados, just on clearance now.  They're far from being flawless, but I have no glaring issues with mine.  They're a whole lot more comfortable than Grados are IMO.

Don't take my word as gospel or anything since my experience with headphones (as opposed to speakers) is rather narrow.  I'm just trying to point out some possibilities.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 15
I'd bet the XB700's would be great with electronic music. Not a fan myself, but it seems like the strong points of the headphones would line up well with it.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 15
Eh, tough call. I shelved my XB700's after getting the V6's, but then again I liked the V6's sound.

There will be a big difference in sound signature. The bass kind of overtakes the rest of the spectrum, but it's some pretty awesome bass. But that was after cranking the bass up on my computer...

Maybe hold out for some more suggestions. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy to ask. Heh.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 15
thanks for your honesty, kukuk
smile.gif

i'm looking for:

- Lowest price possible (max max max $80)
- Nice sourrounding athmosphere
- GOOD bass response (not just high bass, but good and punchy)
- Clear sound definition

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 15
When I tried the Sony XB700's I wasn't a big fan of their bass. There is a lot of it, but its very boomy and slow sounding (they're absurdly comfortable though haha). I haven't tried out the ATH M-50, but I've read a lot of good things about their bass response. They're a little more expensive, but I see them on ebay for around $90 new fairly often. Its not too far from your price range, so I imagine you could get a used pair for under $80 if you look around.

Also, I recently got a pair of Fostex T50rps, and I think they fit what your looking for pretty well. I got them new from amazon shipped for $80. I really like the bass response on them, but I don't think a basshead would be satisfied. I'm not really sure how much bass you're looking for, but the T50rp's have a very clean and fast bass response. I haven't tried the Sony V6's, but if I'm not mistaken they're almost identical to the MD7506's. The T50rp's definitely have more bass than the MDR7506's. The T50rp's also have a better soundstage and I think sound much cleaner than the MDR7506's.

Since you're listening to more electronic music (from what I've read) I wouldn't suggest the Grados. The grados sound very good for rock and such, but I think they're much too forward for electronica. Personally, I don't like listening to the Grados for techno and electronica, but there are others who disagree with me.

You also may want to check out the Shure SRH-440's. Haven't tried them, but I've also heard good things about those cans as well.

Headroom (http://www.headphone.com/) has an interactive frequency response graph you should check out. I'm pretty sure the V6's are up there so you can compare what you have to some of these other headphones.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 15
The XB700s will have more bass than the V6s, but are better with an amp.  They do surprisingly well all types of music but shine with electronic/trance/techno.  The Grados are no good for anything with really deep bass, though they're pretty good with just about anything else.  They shine with rock and metal.

You may want to try getting a CMoy with a bass boost and see if that improves your V6s.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 15
I have the AKG k 420.  You did not mention portable or not.  I haven't been "porting" much but, out of the box, I did smile and think "this is good, really good".  People like the Harx, but these are semi-open and don't sound like you are in a plastic bag.  They come closed too.  Very comfortable and minamilistic.  Oh Koss portapro-I gave mine away.  These sound like you spent over 100.  Got em on Amazon

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Also, I recently got a pair of Fostex T50rps, and I think they fit what your looking for pretty well. I got them new from amazon shipped for $80. 

I think you should go with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back