Best headphones under $200?
Sep 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RockonPC

New Head-Fier
Alright, so I am back again, with the same budget but different needs. I would like to get a pair of closed ear headphones and they will be used for mainly gaming, and music (metalcore). They do not need a mic, I can get one on my own. What I want is sound accuracy and good surround, as in I will know where the enemies are coming in my FPS games. Ready? Go!

-Thanks for the help

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 16
Checkout some of these:
Beyerdynamic DT770
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro 
HD558 (Open)

Camelcamelcamel.com offers a pricetracking for amazon, which can notify you when the prices drop. You can get Custom one pro for $130-$150 I believe. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 16
No headphone it's own will give you a sense of surround sound. I own the AKG K702 and can tell you that the concept of sound stage is so over blown. What you need is a headphone that has good separation mixed with good bass and detail. In that price is tough to get all of that! The closet would probably be the beyerdynamic DT770. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 16
No headphone it's own will give you a sense of surround sound. I own the AKG K702 and can tell you that the concept of sound stage is so over blown. What you need is a headphone that has good separation mixed with good bass and detail. In that price is tough to get all of that! The closet would probably be the beyerdynamic DT770. 

Thank you for that very informative post. What would the budget be for something like that? I'll be willing to save longer.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 16
Why has nobody mentioned Shure?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

The only ones under $200 are the SRH440/840, soundstage is not good enough for gaming. Not very accurate. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 16
Not sure how much in the US, As I'm from the UK I'm guessing $200? with a basic Fiio E5 amp. Consider the brainwavz HM5 too They are a bit more balanced but have less bass than the Beyer.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 16

Shures SRH440 are ok for gaming very detailed but lack the bass impact and quite cold sounding, Not very fun for gaming.

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #14 of 16

The Shure SRH440/840 which is in the OP's price bracket, do not have good imaging to my ears

Err unless you are comparing with a true 7.1 speaker, I disagree with some part of your statement but I do respect your views. :)

I personally find some headphones like the AKG K550 and PSB M4U1 have excellent imaging and very accurate for gaming.

Billson :)

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 16
Try audio technica ad700. imaging and positioning is one of the best. Depending on your need for bass, i find it more than sufficient, tight and very fast and psb m4u is too much bass, for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back