Best Headphones under $200?
Apr 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #31 of 51
Oddly enough after my friend told me he had a pair of Grado Sr 125i's around he let me try it out and I just about fell out of my seat, what superb headphones, I think I'm going to pick up 125's no matter how stupid I look or how much sound is being leaked to my neighbors, absolute classics. thanks to everyone for all the help with this issue, I'm sure I'll collect the majority of the phones you suggested in the coming months. :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #32 of 51

Quote:
If I could afford all of these headphones I would buy them, sadly I'm going to have to just choose one and hope I like it, because I have nowhere to try them out locally :frowning2:

The key, in my opinion, is to never lose sight of the most important thing - the music. As fun as it is to try all sorts of different headphones and gear, it all comes down to the love of music we all share. Chance are the first headphones you buy won't be the ones you end up loving best, so don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get it right the first time. It's pretty hard to make a "bad choice" when you take the time to gather all the feedback you get on here. But when all is said and done, it's the tunes that matter most :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #33 of 51

Quote:
Oddly enough after my friend told me he had a pair of Grado Sr 125i's around he let me try it out and I just about fell out of my seat, what superb headphones, I think I'm going to pick up 125's no matter how stupid I look or how much sound is being leaked to my neighbors, absolute classics. thanks to everyone for all the help with this issue, I'm sure I'll collect the majority of the phones you suggested in the coming months. :)

I'm biased in saying this because I, too, fell completely in love the minute I heard my first Grados...so I know EXACTLY what you are saying :)  Excellent choice, brother!

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #34 of 51
Too bad it looks like hes gonna choose Grados! I was just making a suggestion based on his genre choices man

Quote:
Oh yes - grados - even though he wants circumaural and some isolation 
rolleyes.gif

I'll bow out now - looks like OP will get plenty of good suggestions ......

(M50 when he's looking for something without a lot of bass, and doesn't like sibilance / sharp treble........ ) - shakes head and walks away .......

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #35 of 51

Quote:
Too bad it looks like hes gonna choose Grados! I was just making a suggestion based on his genre choices man

Congratulations then ......

Unfortunately if he tries to use the grados while in a car, or worse in public transport - he's going to have to turn them up so loud he'll deafen himself.

Don't get me wrong - I love my 325is - wouldn't part with them.  But it constantly surprises me that very few people actually read what the original posters are looking for - which is why I asked the questions I did first.  He clearly stated circumaural and mentioned the requirement to listen while traveling.  He also mentioned one set of phones as an all-rounder.  How well do you think those grados are going to suit ...... ?

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #36 of 51

Quote:
If I could afford all of these headphones I would buy them, sadly I'm going to have to just choose one and hope I like it, because I have nowhere to try them out locally :frowning2:

That being the case--be sure to read all the quality reviews on the "finalists" here and elsewhere before you buy.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #38 of 51
I would recommend the D2000, great resale value, very popular headphone, can partial markl mod it cheaply and easily to increase the balance. Meets all the criteria can be driven easy, isolates alright being as its closed and is circumaural.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #39 of 51
Hey now no need for a whole bunch of subjective claims that rip on any particular brand, people are always going to like what they like, even if you think it's ****ty they obviously like it. Like I said I'm fairly new to this whole thing so my taste in 'phones hasn't really fully developed and I'm not particularly sure what I'm looking for when I hear a good set I'm going to buy them regardless of what anyone will say. that being said I appreciate greatly everyones suggestions and input to this particular topic as I collect headphones along with everyone else here I'm sure I'll be posting frequently thanks again for everyones time!

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #40 of 51
My vote goes for the HD558. It lacks bass but after you remove the foam from the housing, the bass opens up, its a bit loose compared to with the foam but I find the sound a lot better. I do however wish that they had better treble extension. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #41 of 51

Quote:
My vote goes for the HD558. It lacks bass but after you remove the foam from the housing, the bass opens up, its a bit loose compared to with the foam but I find the sound a lot better. I do however wish that they had better treble extension. 

Beware that this also voids the warranty. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #42 of 51
you can always put it back though and if your careful they wont even notice, I have changed the heatsink of my graphics cards and still got the warranty cus when I claimed warranty I replaced the original stock cooler. So I guess the same would apply for this ^^

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #43 of 51

Quote:
Keep in mind I'm not the kind of guy who cares if he looks a bit goofy wearing a giant pair of odd colored headphones on the plane or driving, so feel free to just recommend whatever is legitimately the best pair of headphones for the money that offer at least a tad bit of what I need.

you'll do well here sir,
beerchug.gif
. In that regard I recommend the brainwavz hm5, they have many variants... it felt durable enough, removable cables, though bulky... or the hm3...

edit: driving while wearing hps, isnt that dangerous?

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #44 of 51
how did the v-moda m-80 not make it in here? 

treble that doesnt bite too hard? check
tones down sibilance? check
all rounder? check
isolation? check
portable? check
durable? super check

its not circumaural though

the sennheiser hd25-1 ii is great too but the treble is quite sparkly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back