Best headphones that I can get for under $400 dollars CAD
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 49
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #18 of 49
thanks for all your input, what are you thoughts on the beyerdynamic 990 pro 80 ohm? I found that its within my budget. I've heard many good things about beyerdynamics

https://www.amazon.ca/beyerdynamic-990-PRO-Headphones-Open-Back-Construction/dp/B07KFN5LL4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=8RR5356ZIMBL&dchild=1&keywords=beyerdynamic+dt+990+pro&qid=1611174694&s=electronics&sprefix=beyerdyn,electronics,260&sr=1-1

Against the HE-400i and HE-4xx, the DT990 series works best in audio production settings and not quite as versatile with music and games. The DT990s are very good...but I am not sure if you will prefer them with what you want them to do.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 49
I'm still debating between the HE-4xx and the HE-400i 2020 version... they are so neck-and-neck
But I do have another question, I listen to all my music through spotify, would this do a de-service to the hifimans with an amp? I'm not sure if music would sound any better or worse than on my current headphones because maybe the music quality isn't even that high to begin with for me to fully appreciate the hifimans+amp combo.

Edit: I think I'm actually leaning towards the 4xx as I've heard they are better for bass compared to the 400i 2020's
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #21 of 49
Surprised no one has mentioned the Meze 99 Classics, spend a little extra on the Yaxi STPads 2 which are way better than the stock pads

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #22 of 49
They're also easy to drive and don't require an amp.

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #26 of 49
I would dare to say that the H6xx, atom amp and dac are your best bet at that price point.

The HD6xx is a bomb-proof reference headphone that every collection should have. User-servicable parts allows you to customize everything from cables, grills, pads and even the drivers. Matched with the Atom, it's the ultimate budget reference kit in which you will measure all future gear against. Also, it will last you a lifetime, which is too much to ask of hifiman gear...

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 49
I would dare to say that the H6xx, atom amp and dac are your best bet at that price point.

The HD6xx is a bomb-proof reference headphone that every collection should have. User-servicable parts allows you to customize everything from cables, grills, pads and even the drivers. Matched with the Atom, it's the ultimate budget reference kit in which you will measure all future gear against. Also, it will last you a lifetime, which is too much to ask of hifiman gear...
That is over my budget unfortunately :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #29 of 49
Drop has the 6xx for sale for 220 usd + Shipping right now. Shipping is pretty reasonable. Even to Australia it's only $15
I heard for canadians theres also like $40 dollars in duties too when ordering from drop.

Are the 6xx better in every category and a no brainer to spend the extra money on over the 4xx? How are they with bass in comparison with the 4xx, I like a good bass that I can bump to

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #30 of 49
I heard for canadians theres also like $40 dollars in duties too when ordering from drop.

Are the 6xx better in every category and a no brainer to spend the extra money on over the 4xx? How are they with bass in comparison with the 4xx, I like a good bass that I can bump to

I haven't got either so I can't compare. If you like bassy I'd recommend the fidelio x2hr especially because of it's wide soundstage which is nice for gaming. Otherwise meze 99 is good too, not sure I'd describe them as punchy bass but the bass is rich and smooth. The meze is closed back which is a bit more isolating than the x2hr.
Drop is also offering the meze 99 noir right now for $200ish. Otherwise you could probs get the fidelio x2 from amazon for like $150 USD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back