Best headphones that can give the concert experience?
May 8, 2013 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

barbecuesauce

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of ATH-M50s and they're alright I suppose. I'm a bit of a bass junky, but it's always been difficult to find headphones that give a good bass without distortion (which I know is asking for a lot after a while from just headphones). Anyway, I recently went to see the band Crystal Castles live at the Fox Theater in Pomona. I must say, I fell in love with the bass. I never really noticed the bass through the headphones, but I sure as hell did when I was in that theater. Are there any headphones that could replicate that? Or am I just doing wishful thinking? 

Price isn't necessarily an issue, although don't get too crazy. I'm still new to the world of headphones, but for music, I'd be willing to invest a good amount. Anywhere up to maaaaybe $1,000.

May 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Start with the JVC HA-S400. Don't knock it until you hear it. $25+ is hardly a gamble.

I've tried a lot of headphones and that one sounded best with classical and pretty much all type of music IMO.

May 8, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 5
My advice is don't look for headphones purely based on the quantity of bass they deliver - you can always correct that with equalizer. Much more important for great bass reproduction is tight, well controlled delivery. Orthos are usually quite good at that, and they're not shy quantity-wise either.
I have been also quite happy with the Q701 - they have a very clean bass line, but will require a fair bit of EQ. And don't spend your entire budget on the headphone - good bass delivery needs a good amp. Actually, if you don't have one yet then perhaps this is where you should start - you may be surprised how much difference this can make.

May 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 5
In the price range you are looking for the best base I have heard came from an Audeze LCD 2.  They come in either Rosewood or Bamboo.  The Bamboo are $995 new.  But the thing is you will need an amp and dac for it so you can't just unload 1 grand on a headphone without decent gear.  You could find one used and with the money you saved get an amp/dac.  My suggestions is to start off with buying an amp/dac for your M50s like a Fiio one and start from there. Fair warning its a slippery slope once you get on it.  Oh and welcome to headfi and as always "sorry about your wallet" 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back