Best Headphones for wearing while away from home?
Jan 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
It's kind of a difficult subject, but I'm looking for some full sized headphones I could possibly wear around when I'm at college.
Mostly so that I could keep them on my neck and flip them up when I wish to listen to music (IEMs in when in class under my hair)

I have my Grados, yet they snag my hair when I flip them back up (I have long hair) and they are kinda tight around my neck

I was looking at some Kickers hp1973s (because their cheap, look like they won't snag, and look nice)
http://www.kicker.com/hp1973

Any ideas?

-EDIT- On the cheap too, <$100

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 7
Kicker makes some Down Subwoofers. Beasts aswell.Ive looked at these before. I would be curious about the Sound quality. ahah!

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 7
MrJohnny, you posted before my edit so I would say thanks anyways.

I don't like beats, too expensive for what you get for your money, and not durable

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't think anybody on this forum would ever recommend you beats, lol. Do you need closed back headphones? If you do, m50's fit the bill perfectly. They swivel 90 degrees, so they don't get in your way on your neck, have half decent isolation, and pretty good sound quality. It may be a little bassy for your tastes, considering you own grados.

I've got a question, though... What's wrong with your grados? Are you looking for an upgrade? I use my grados at school all the time, even walking around sometimes. They hang on my neck and swivel to lay flat on my chest.

OH also, my friend has a pair of kicker cans, and they isolate well, but they are indeed VERY bassy. The sound signature was not for me, at least for the short time I listened to them.

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I don't think anybody on this forum would ever recommend you beats, lol. Do you need closed back headphones? If you do, m50's fit the bill perfectly. They swivel 90 degrees, so they don't get in your way on your neck, have half decent isolation, and pretty good sound quality. It may be a little bassy for your tastes, considering you own grados.

I've got a question, though... What's wrong with your grados? Are you looking for an upgrade? I use my grados at school all the time, even walking around sometimes. They hang on my neck and swivel to lay flat on my chest.

OH also, my friend has a pair of kicker cans, and they isolate well, but they are indeed VERY bassy. The sound signature was not for me, at least for the short time I listened to them.

Well, I'm not a basshead, yet I love tight bass for some jazz.

I don't like my grados (for school) because they grab my hair when I try to take them off my neck, they are tight around my neck (I have a large neck) and they leak sound (I don't care that much) and the cord length (not a big deal)

I just want some phones I can use as a [ornament] and be able to use them fully. I love my Brainwavz for when I'm in class, but I would like some full sized on me at all times

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm another advocate of the m50s, they're really portable and don't leak sound in public, especially on the train so you won't get stares from people even if you enjoy higher volumes. Sound quality is excellent too at its price point. One gripe about it though, it doesn't isolate very well so you can hear your surroundings over your music quite clearly. Good for people that like open-ness when listening though, it won't feel claustrophobic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back