best headphones for under $400
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nhullheart

New Head-Fier
To make it short and simple i want a good set for about $400.  i listen to techno, rock and roll, r&b, and classical.  i want something with HEAVY bass though.

any suggestions would be fine!

also i want good audio(of course) and good build quality

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
To make it short and simple i want a good set for about $400.  i listen to techno, rock and roll, r&b, and classical.  i want something with HEAVY bass though.

Very little that is $400 is going to have heavy bass (a few exist). I'm sure you are describing it like face pounding thunder. But in reality, these are not subwoofers and cannot do what speakers do. In your price range, most headphones are not going to sound like big bassy things, because it's sonically trashy and most of market is still catering to more balanced approaches to sound at that price range. Don't get me wrong, I love bass, I'm an absolute sub-bass-head. But I don't want you to think you're going to get subwoofer performance here.

But I will say, instead of spending $400 on a headphone, I suggest you look at the $200~300 range, and put the rest into a decent amplifier that can help control bass even more (like Fiio E12 or Digizoid Zo).

Also, be ready to equalize heavily to emphasize the kind of bass that you like. This is where the amplifier comes in too. When you equalize, you lower the frequency response of everything except the bass range. This allows the bass to be emphasized without asking the driver to go beyond it's abilities. Then you simply turn the volume up to compensate. And the amplifier will help make that volume attenuation easy while providing the energy needed to control those bass tones, as they take gobs more power to produce and control than everything else.

I would look at two kinds of headphones. Bassy at stock and simply "nice" all around headphones and simply equalize them. As any headphone can be made bassier than something that is simply bassy at stock just fine. It's quite easy.

Look into:

Sony XB700
AudioTechnica PRO700MKII
Beyer DT770 PRO
AudioTechnica A900X
Logitech UE 6000
M-Audio Q40

And look into:

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads
Denon D600
Ultrasone PRO 900
Vmoda M100

Very best,

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 9
If you want amazing bass for relatively cheap, just get good iems.
My senn IE7  provided very addicting bass, I  mean the one that make you want to hear all kind of bass heavy stuff,
and I  guess it would be the same with the IE8.
No full size headphone I  tried were able to provide to get the thumping bass energy , combined with richness ,
of my Iems.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

If you want "heavy" bass, then get some beats by Dr Dre.
tongue_smile.gif

"Heavy" bass will always have a negative impact on the mid range, not because of the technical limitations of the headphone, but because of the limitations of human hearing.

You'll never find a "heavy" sounding headphone with great clarity in the other frequencies, because your ears will not allow you to hear the other frequencies as clearly over the over exaggerated lower frequencies.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT770's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back