Best headphones for running / gym? KSC75?
Mar 10, 2010 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Icculus23

New Head-Fier
As my Shure SCL4's really don't stay in too well when running, I was looking for a relatively inexpensive pair of phones to use while working out.

The Koss KSC75 seems to get pretty good reviews, so I was leaning toward that model. However, I wanted to get any quick thoughts or recommendations you all had.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 15
The girlfriend uses the KSC75 for running. It stays on well for her, and she loves the sound. The only issue is the pads getting dirty over time due to all the sweat. However, you can get replacement pads easily from Radio Shack.

They're also cheap enough that just getting a replacement pair won't kill your wallet.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the input here. I'm currently using a pair of Sony MDR-AS30G headphones to work out with, which I'm relatively pleased with. Does anybody know whether the KSC75 will be a noticeable upgrade from these?

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 15
I think that the best for running will be some over-the-ear style in-ear phones with earhooks.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 15
It seems like the KSC75's would be a little bulky and flop around too much for running. I've never tried running with mine though, but some sort of over-the-ear style would be more secure.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 15
Over-the-ear generally is light and holds well on the ears, especially with earhooks.
But cord phones in not best for gym, if you mean training with weight. Because it easy to touch the cord by grip of weight. And if you training topless cord may stick to your body when you sweat. It is inconvenient. So, i think the wireless headphones is better for gym, then wired phones.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 15
Ksc75 is the best choice IMO

Great fun sound
Comfortable
Stays in place if you bend the hooks
No isolation for awareness
Cheap
No microphonics
Great warranty

Etc. The only problem is that you'll look really stupid.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks - I might pick up a pair of the KSC75s anyhow, for commuting (under a hat or earmuffs), and potentially running. If they don't work out better that my current Sony's, then no big deal.

Most sound reviews for the KSC75s are great bang-for-the-buck, correct?

(also, are there any reviews of folks wearing the KSC75? I can't really envision how stupid these truly do look...)

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icculus23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most sound reviews for the KSC75s are great bang-for-the-buck, correct?

Yup, the KSC75 are one of the best-for-your-buck headphones that you'll likely ever find.

Quote:

(also, are there any reviews of folks wearing the KSC75? I can't really envision how stupid these truly do look...)

They don't look that bad. It's mostly the gaudy silver color that makes them unsightly. The older KSC35 look better since they're black in color, but those are more expensive and harder to purchase (I believe they're only available from Koss directly nowadays).

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 15
I run 2-3 days a week and there's no way I would want something as bulky as the KSC75s on my head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icculus23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't really envision how stupid these truly do look...

If you're headed for the gym, I think we can multiply it exponentially.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marine Pilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over-the-ear generally is light and holds well on the ears, especially with earhooks.
But cord phones in not best for gym, if you mean training with weight. Because it easy to touch the cord by grip of weight. And if you training topless cord may stick to your body when you sweat. It is inconvenient. So, i think the wireless headphones is better for gym, then wired phones.

I agree that they are not ideal but BT headphones with the solid plastic piece are no good either as they get in the way any time you lay on a bench. That leaves BT with a connecting wire as the only option and there are very few to choose from. Another way to go is to get an arm band for your MP3 player which solves the wire problem. However, the arm band gets uncomfortable once you get a good pump going. I would try the Jaybird JB-200i but I don't really want to spend that much on a set of gym headphones.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acheron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL)
---------------

Generally speaking, the headphones can be distracting during exercise. Especially on the large weights.
What music do you listen?
In most gyms usually plays something rhythmic. Trance, House, Pump, etc. If you want to hear something like that during a workout, you can try to simply agree to put your music play)

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acheron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run 2-3 days a week and there's no way I would want something as bulky as the KSC75s on my head.

biggrin.gif

Are the KSC75's really that bulky? I don't own any, but was thinking about picking some up. My PX100's work perfectly for running. Not bulky at all. They only weigh a few ounces. Now running with a pair of HD280's on your head might cause neck problems!! lol.

If style and looks are the order of the day for working out, Sony makes a few good looking but awful sounding headphones!
confused_face.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 15
KSC75s are great for exercising (or just plain listenin) but if your gym plays its own music really loud, then the KSC75s won't block out much outside sound. A cheap pair of in-ears (soundmagic or meelect etc) may better serve.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Senns PMX70-80 totally *not the new adidas edition* FTW!!! I'm using now my third pair of these:

Pros:
  1. Trust me. I play really really hard. I sweat like a fountain,too and I run on heavy rain, snow, etc. and they can handle it without any problem
  2. For your safety, the PMX70 have a reflectant spot in the band.
  3. You can just take off one side to talk to your mate or just hang them on your neck if you want to feel the air in your ears
  4. They always stay in the right place. It doesn't matter how high you jump or how quick you run.
  5. One-side cable is always better but in a sports headphone is almost a must-have.
  6. You can wash them under the tap
  7. The cable is hard as mithril

Cons:
  1. The sound in this kind of headphones is always the worst part.
  2. Although I wash them everytime, oxide will appear passed one or two years (depending on the use)
  3. In one of the pairs I had the cable open up in a strange transversal manner. I think this is uncommon and you can always fix it with homemade solutions (or calling sennheiser if it's in warranty).
  4. EDIT: when lying in the gym th PMX70-80 aren't the most comfortable headphone but nothing so terrible given the price point and all the pros.

The average duration for me is around 2 years/pair. They are not ad eternum, of course, but I think it's a fair duration time given how I abuse them. XD

EDIT:
 The armband for your mp3 is a must. What are you doing not having one?? :wink: The PMX70 come with a clip. Take the cable from your head to your armband passing under your tshirt. hold the spare cable with the clip and attach it to the armband. Connect the minijack. Enjoy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back