Best headphones for rock and electronic music
Oct 22, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #17 of 26
Hi All!
Thanks for information/help. I appreciate it! :)

I was very very very surprised that sound perception (headphones perception) is so much different by people.
I thought that programmatic equalizers created to flexibly adopt hardware (headphones) to different music styles/sound perception types.
I still plan to play with them in the future - but now (as I have not much experience in this area) I decided to play safe and try (listen to) what people proposed to me instead of buying "flexible"/adjustable headphone.
I decided that what I need now - is to concentrate on good purchase in terms of quality. And make sure that this item is good for me and I will use it a lot. So now I'm inclined more on quality and "fit for my need" product. Not on product with good discount...
And also I decided to throw away gaming from wish list - to make choice easier. (It is much more complicated than I initially expected).

I was in local store.
When I explained to shop assistant that from Audio-Technica SR9 headphone I hear very sizzling "S" in vocals (sound "s" in every word for me sounds like from a broken radio). So he said that I need to try warmer/darker headphones and proposed to me Denone 5200 and Campfire Audio Cascade. He said that headphones like Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 700 are definitely not for me as they are opposite to warm - very bright and I will hear this "s" even more broken from them.

They did not had a lot of different models available for listening so I listened to:

Denone 5200 (650$ local price) - closed back.
Shop assistant said that it the same as Fostex-610 in terms of sound.
Headphone is good - but I feel like I want to try something else before buying.

Campfire Audio Cascade (850$ local price) - closed back.
Like this headphone more - and maybe will buy it.

"Know that if you're used to the sound of a certain headphone, other headphones can sound off or even worse than what you're used to, even if the new headphone is technically better. "
Seems like something like this also happened to me - that is why there are some difficulties in picking good item for me...

"listen critically to your own headphones and see if you can figure out what you do and don't like about them"
In Audio-Technica MSR7 headphones I like that sound from many instruments goes simultaneously and I'm able to hear (select from sound stream) each party. I do not know how to explain it better. Maybe it is "detailed"? But not sure that I use word "detailed" in correct way.

What I dislike from other headphones is this broken "s" sound. And also from open back headphones - sound is not so "concentrated" as I like, so it is hard for me to focus on music.

So next: I will visit some other local shop in my area (hope they have models that you told me) and try to listen some more models to have a better knowledge of what I liked and what not.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #18 of 26
Hi All!
Thanks for information/help. I appreciate it! :)

I was very very very surprised that sound perception (headphones perception) is so much different by people.
I thought that programmatic equalizers created to flexibly adopt hardware (headphones) to different music styles/sound perception types.
I still plan to play with them in the future - but now (as I have not much experience in this area) I decided to play safe and try (listen to) what people proposed to me instead of buying "flexible"/adjustable headphone.
I decided that what I need now - is to concentrate on good purchase in terms of quality. And make sure that this item is good for me and I will use it a lot. So now I'm inclined more on quality and "fit for my need" product. Not on product with good discount...
And also I decided to throw away gaming from wish list - to make choice easier. (It is much more complicated than I initially expected).
I think this is a good way to go about things. I think EQ can be useful is moderation, but it's not going to change the inherent nature of a headphone. If your headphone is bass-shy, EQ will not be able to turn it into a bass monster. It might help a little, but it won't transform it.

I was in local store.
When I explained to shop assistant that from Audio-Technica SR9 headphone I hear very sizzling "S" in vocals (sound "s" in every word for me sounds like from a broken radio). So he said that I need to try warmer/darker headphones and proposed to me Denone 5200 and Campfire Audio Cascade. He said that headphones like Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 700 are definitely not for me as they are opposite to warm - very bright and I will hear this "s" even more broken from them.
If I were you, I would try those headphones anyway. Just because you don't like the pronounced treble on the MSR7 doesn't mean you won't like it on other headphones. The DT 1990 also has very pronounced treble, but I've never had any problem with it. Try to find out for yourself. Remember that the salesman is just offering another opinion, not a hard fact, despite however they may present it.

"listen critically to your own headphones and see if you can figure out what you do and don't like about them"
In Audio-Technica MSR7 headphones I like that sound from many instruments goes simultaneously and I'm able to hear (select from sound stream) each party. I do not know how to explain it better. Maybe it is "detailed"? But not sure that I use word "detailed" in correct way.
I think you're referring to "instrument separation," wherein you can hear each instrument, voice, etc., as distinct from all other instruments, voices, etc. Being able to hear two distinct voices harmonizing is a good example.

What I dislike from other headphones is this broken "s" sound.
This is commonly called "sibilance" or "stridency."

And also from open back headphones - sound is not so "concentrated" as I like, so it is hard for me to focus on music.
This is "soundstage" or "headstage" and it's a quality most audiophiles enjoy, though not all. It's definitely something that takes some getting used to, especially if you're coming from closed headphones, as you are. If you give it time, I think you might find you enjoy it as well.

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 26
Depending on your budget: Fidelio X2, TH-X00/Denon variants, NightHawk, LCD2C. The better DAC/amp you give them the better result you get, especially as you go up in value.

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #20 of 26
Here is my new audio setup :)

Fiio X7 mark 2 -> Fiio A5 -> Audeze lcd-2 classic

Works really good for me! :)
Rock + Electronic / Ambient music (like Orbital or Crystal Method).

Now I'm thinking about separate amplifier that will be better than my current A5.
Currently I'm considering following options (price is something about 500-600, as I do not see a reason to buy more expensive device for this set-up):

1) Audio-GD NFB-1AMP (625$ in local prices) (only AMP)
2) Schiit Jotunheim with balanced DAC (650$ in local prices) (AMP + DAC)
3) Audio-GD NFB-11.38 (500$ in local prices) (AMP+DAC)

Unfortunately there is no Schiit Lyr 3 in local stores. Also there are no Schiit devices without DAC in local stores (I'm planing to use Fiio X7 mark 2 as DAC).

Everyone is welcome to comment.
And thanks again for previous advices :)

SetupNovember1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #21 of 26
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 26
Hi All!

I have visited store with audio technics several times last month. And spent about 5 hrs. there listening various amps for my Audeze LCD2c headphones with FiioX7 mark 2 player.

So I have tried amps:

Matrix HPA-3B (420$)
Nuprime HPA9 (600$)
Questyle CMA400i (700$) amp/dac
HiFiman EF100 (300$)
I asked for Audio-GD models - but salesman said that I will not be able attach my Fiio X7 to them as source of sound

And spent a lot of time trying AMP and DAC:
CAYIN iHA-6 (700$) / in balanced and regular mode
Cayin iDAC-6 (700$)
I saw very good reviews about CAYIN iHA-6 in internet, so I thought it will be something outstanding... But...

After trying all these AMPs AMP/DACs I found that difference with my FiioX7 mark 2 as DAC and Fiio A5 as AMP is very little...
There is a difference - but in my opinion difference is more in sound signature/sound "style" than in overall quality.

So I decided not to do purchase now.
But I'm puzzled - why I cannot hear significant difference with those amps compared to my Fiio X7 / A5 ?
When I tested different headphones - difference in quality was obvious. But with different amps...
They all sounds pretty much the same to me in terms of quality (but with different sound signatures).

Maybe someone could advice any particular model to try with Audeze LCD2c?
Or what is your experience when it comes to purchasing new amp for your system? Do you hear much difference (quality increase) immediately?

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 26
First, yeah, headphones definitely offer more of an upgrade/difference per dollar over amps or DACs. In my somewhat limited experience, headphones offer the greatest improvements, then amp, then DAC, then cables. Improvements can be had, but they can be very subtle.

Second, keep in mind that a) FiiO offers very good sound for the money, and b) you're comparing almost $800 of high value equipment to equipment of (probably) similar value. Differences are bound (or at least likely) to be minimal.

Third, it's a weird phenomenon that it's not always easy to notice differences when going from lesser gear to greater, but it's easier to notice when going from greater to lesser. But that can take time, getting used to the sound of a piece of equipment before you can really notice what you're missing with other gear.

Fourth, take your time! If you're enjoying your current setup, there should be no rush to upgrade your system. Upgrade only when you really feel like there's something else that you want.

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #25 of 26
What are you wanting to improve with the lcd2? Maybe you should be looking into other headphones instead....?

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #26 of 26
Where and what store did you go to that had all that gear? I'm jelous!
I'm living in a very large city (I think 4M+ of people live here right now), so yes - I have benefit of having several music shops right here :)

What are you wanting to improve with the lcd2? Maybe you should be looking into other headphones instead....?
I like my headphones and player. It is just what I have learned from reviews and also what salesman said to me: if I will buy standalone amp I will get significant boost in sound quality.
So that is why I'm puzzled - in reality I do not see a significant increase in quality from CAYIN iHA-6($700) + Cayin iDAC-6($700) = $1400 over my current ($900) setup.

Fourth, take your time! If you're enjoying your current setup, there should be no rush to upgrade your system. Upgrade only when you really feel like there's something else that you want.
Thanks for an advice! That is what I will most probably do right now.
But still... I think I will visit sound shops once or twice more. Anyway I want to see what more technically advanced equipment could offer to me.
I have plans to listen to Questyle CMA600i and some other similar stuff (I need to look more through the forums to find what else could be good for LCD2c).
Even if I'm not Intended to buy very expensive things right now - I still want to hear by myself how sounds that magic quality that people paying 1000$+ for.
And maybe I will form a wish list for myself for the future if I will like some specific equipment.

As I see now - this hobby is quite addictive! I have already created quite good setup for myself, but it so happens that now I want to see something more!
I'm still hungry for trying new things :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back