Best headphones for Producing/Mastering?
Dec 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
Is the most balanced headphone the way to go?  Or a headphone more suited for a specific genre?  I am using these primarily for EDM.

At first I was thinking the most balanced and flat headphone was the way to go, but then i got to thinking.  Most people out there have audio systems/speakers/etc that are bass enhanced in one way or another.  So if I produce with a flat headphone I am likely to go heavier on the low frequencies in the mastering process.  Then when the tracks are played back on those bass enhanced systems, wouldn't the tracks then likely have too much bass?  My first thoughts were the PRO 900's but then I started thinking since those are very bass enhanced then I might not add enough bass and then the tracks would be bass weak on a lot of systems.

Just curious on your guy's thoughts.  I have tried many of the most popular expensive headphones out there so I know what sounds good for listening pleasure, etc.  What I'm looking for are the best options for producing and final sound mastering.  So unforgiving and completely analytical are key.  But what else?  Should they be flat?  Or?  I do want them to be closed, mainly for concentration reasons.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 13
Yamaha RH5Ma Monitor Headphones

RH5MA monitor headphones are recognized by sound experts as superior monitoring headphones capable of producing extraordinarily accurate sound reproduction. These headphones are particularly proficient in the difficult low to mid-low frequencies and can flawlessly replicate even the most precise mix. The ear is an instrument critically trained to demand perfection in sound reproduction, and musicians know that high-quality headphones are a vital component of any music system.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/accessories/headphones/rh5ma/
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RH5MA-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000YIF4I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387217424&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+rh5ma

http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/yamaha-rh5ma/

1.jpg

Yamaha_RH5MA_fr_impedance.png

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 13
circumaural is a must.

It seems like from what I'm reading many of the studios are using the Sony MDR-V6 and 7506 cans.  I just have a hard time believing an $80 pair of headphones is all it takes.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 13
The first question that needs to be asked is what is your budget?  You said that you have heard a lot of high end headphones.  Which ones did you like the best?  Can you afford them?  The key to mixing with any headphone is to know your headphones inside and out.  The other important issue is to make sure that they aren't hiding details with a dip or artificially "enhancing" certain frequencies with a peak.  That is why people recomend headphones that are neutral, so they don't color the sound.

If I was looking for headphones to mix/master EDM, I would look at headphones that have good extension at both ends and a frequency response that doesn't have any major dips/spikes.  You also said that you wanted closed headphones to better concentrate.  I would look at  MrSpeaker's Mad Dogs or preferably the Alpha Dogs.  

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 13
Yamaha does have the new Monitors out circumaural. MT220

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 13
I think the best advice is to demo as many as you can, then see how they translate on monitors, IEMs, car stereo etc. Then make your purchase based on that. Nobody here can tell you how you want your music to translate.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 13
It's probably best to ask on gearslutz or kvr rather than here.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 13
  Is the most balanced headphone the way to go?  Or a headphone more suited for a specific genre?  I am using these primarily for EDM.

At first I was thinking the most balanced and flat headphone was the way to go, but then i got to thinking.  Most people out there have audio systems/speakers/etc that are bass enhanced in one way or another.  So if I produce with a flat headphone I am likely to go heavier on the low frequencies in the mastering process.  Then when the tracks are played back on those bass enhanced systems, wouldn't the tracks then likely have too much bass?  My first thoughts were the PRO 900's but then I started thinking since those are very bass enhanced then I might not add enough bass and then the tracks would be bass weak on a lot of systems.

Just curious on your guy's thoughts.  I have tried many of the most popular expensive headphones out there so I know what sounds good for listening pleasure, etc.  What I'm looking for are the best options for producing and final sound mastering.  So unforgiving and completely analytical are key.  But what else?  Should they be flat?  Or?  I do want them to be closed, mainly for concentration reasons.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 13
I suspect the reason the Sony 7506 is popular is it's portable, cheap, and can easily be replaced.

The speaker company KRK makes superbly analytical headphones. On KNS8400, I could hear many details that eluded the very good mid-priced open models. Comfort is better than average too. The negative is that the stock cable bears even fairly minute noises into the left ear, but you can make a replacement.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 13
  I suspect the reason the Sony 7506 is popular is it's portable, cheap, and can easily be replaced.

The speaker company KRK makes superbly analytical headphones. On KNS8400, I could hear many details that eluded the very good mid-priced open models. Comfort is better than average too. The negative is that the stock cable bears even fairly minute noises into the left ear, but you can make a replacement.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 13
The 7506 and v6's are popular for singers. I would say that vocals are their strong suit for sure. Q701's, at the low end hd800's at the high-end is what I think you are looking for. I personally like hd 600's and srh 1840's.

I've already found what I'm looking for: KNS8400. Thanks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back