Best headphones for Pink Floyd under $350 (outside US). PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING.
May 29, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but I think that you listen to sounds, not the music itself. (I think you are not a Pink Floyd fan

Dude, I went to my first Pink Floyd concert in Annaheim about ten years (1977 - It was the Animals tour) before you were born, so I think I have been a Pink Floyd fan for quite a bit longer than you. When listening to Pink Floyd live (Pulse, Is Aybody Out There, or even Delicate Sounds of Thunder) through the Grados it makes you feel like you are there, not in the frigg'n parking lot. And as far as listening to sounds and not the music, the sounds are paret of the music.

May 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ultrasone ALO-780 and the Ed.9 are The best headphones that I have heard for Pink Floyd.

Well OP wanted to stay within 350 USD price limit . These are good cans , no doubt , but stay real if you pass reccommendations like that .
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pfillion-66661.gif

Album of favouriteness
biggrin.gif

Got the remastered one?

May 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, I went to my first Pink Floyd concert in Annaheim about ten years (1977 - It was the Animals tour) before you were born, so I think I have been a Pink Floyd fan for quite a bit longer than you. When listening to Pink Floyd live (Pulse, Is Aybody Out There, or even Delicate Sounds of Thunder) through the Grados it makes you feel like you are there, not in the frigg'n parking lot. And as far as listening to sounds and not the music, the sounds are paret of the music.

Ok, so you had the chance to born before me. That's not make you a fan or something else, that make's you... older. (although now I belive that you are a PF fan, but this was not the point)
I understand now that you like PF trough Grado because of the intimacy (especialy on concert) you like being there. I understand that, but for example when you listen PF on CD you don't find that something is missing, the soundstage? (You are on stage with David Gilmour on a recorded concert, but what happens when you are listening the album, don't you need a sound-Stage, and all those effects?) What album do you prefer? Maybe there's some that go well with Grados and some with Sennheisers.

May 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #22 of 60
Thank you for your input.

Thanks for the link Ronnie. One question: what is your audio system for the Senns?

I see only one vote for DT 880 and nobody even mentioned it in the thread. What's not right with the Beyers and Pink Floyd combination?

Which one is a more relevant contender for HD 650s: MS2s(/325s) or MS Pros(/GS-1000s)?

May 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 60
At a big concert, where you stand, you don't get much of a choice if you stand beside the audio or 50ft away. Its much more the experience, much like watching Movies with a load of strangers at the Theatre...you'd never get pictures as on a 50" HDTV in your lounge with Blu-ray.

At a concert the SQ won't reach the quality of SACD/DVD-A studio-recorded music played on a $10,000 CDP.

So, I do not see how a can, can be reminiscent of all live shows?

May 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, not trying to be rude! But when I heard PF out of SR225 ("The final cut") ..."well aah the sounds are here, but where is the feeling?"

Then stop sounding rude. I don't like the 650's either for Pink Floyd (and not just for Pink Floyd for that matter). Too warm, too lush, not having the speed, clarity and detail enough to fully enjoy PF IMO (or again any music). You're missing a lot of "sounds".
Have to add I haven't heard them via a "killersystem" so far which is supposed to make them shine but the setups I did hear didn't impress me. Don't forget everyone has different tastes and no ones preferences are a golden rule.
To add something to keep my post a little on topic:
I haven't heard any of the hps on your list besides the 650/600 with PF. I'm a major PF-fan and I love them through my Proline 750's.

May 29, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #25 of 60
Of the list, I have the HD-600, HD-650, DT880, and the K-701. I haven't heard the other two.

I'd go with the HD-650. I like the darker presentation with Pink Floyd sometimes. But when I listen, however, I usually reach for the RS-1. In my opinion, I'd save up or sell some stuff to get another $150 for a used RS-1.

May 29, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #26 of 60
It's easy to find the 780 modified for $350-$400 on the FS forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well OP wanted to stay within 350 USD price limit . These are good cans , no doubt , but stay real if you pass reccommendations like that .
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #28 of 60
Out of the headphones I've owned and tried, I can say without a doubt, it's the Alessandro MS2. It's got the precise bass, the highs are good, and the mids are amazing.

only issue I had with it, the cups were heavy. This was an ms2, not an ms2i either, which I imagine weighs even more.

May 30, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #29 of 60
John, what headphones have you owned?

If anyone can answer my questions from the previous post, please do.

How much money would I need to spend on an amp for HD 650s to make them sound good? I don't mean bringing them to their full potential, as I know it would cost a lot (i.e. too much for me), but "unveiling," making them faster and tightening the bass a bit at least.

May 30, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #30 of 60
Owned: Grado SR225, Alessandro MS2, Denon D2000
Auditioned: AKG K701, Grado SR325i,

Best test of what's good and what's not? Dark side of the moon, sacd or dvd-a.

As for the beyer question: I have not tried those headphones, but from what I hear here (pun intended), the 880's are rather bass light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back