best headphones for metal and video games $100
Dec 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vanwazltoff

New Head-Fier
ive been using $25 sony in ear head phones for 2 years and they have been good to me, but their just not good enough now that i have been getting more into music and i have been gaming a lot. i put most of my money into my high end gaming computer but now its time to put more money into my peripherals.

so onto head phones, i mainly listen to metal/death metal/black metal, no not screamers, i tend to focus mainly on the guitar riff and drums, dont care about bass [though i used to play it oddly enough]. i typically set my EQ to high highs, medium-low mids, and med-high lows. i cannot stand over powering bass. based on that i assume i am looking for clear highs and the rest doesnt matter as much, though i would like an emphasis on clarity. this will be my first pair of higher end head phones [i bought bose once, they were a joke, gave to my grandad a day later seems like they were nothing BUT bass] 

now to appeal to my gamer side, when i go to LAN parties i think open air headphones would be best so i can still hear other people when i am gaming. the sounds i am looking for are those sounds you flat out miss with low quality head phones like the ping of bullets hitting the floor and back ground noises

seems like grado sr60is are probably my best bet. $80, high highs, less emphasis on bass, open air, cool look to them

what do you guys suggest? 

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Actually the grados are crap for gaming.  Zero sound stage.  While most headphones will have you sitting the in the front rows the Grados will probably take you back stage.

The Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 should fit your needs.  Described for its sparkly highs, minimal bass, and excellent sound stage.  Great for gaming and your desires. Also appear to be running at 100 dollars new on Amazon. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 5
the sd700s are pretty ugly looking, i like the look of the grados a lot. ill let this post mature a bit before making a decision. gah, i drank too much jagermeister tonight. how was everyones christmas eve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back