Best headphones for listening to Thom York?
Jan 5, 2007 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

z_accoustics

New Head-Fier
Hey guys

Any york fans out there? I hope so. I've been going to the local hifi store to audition headphones and home theatre speakers with the earser album. This may be a hard album to nail with a headphone because of the home made type of samples used and synthesized sound stage.

I listened to nearly the whole album doing A/B with grado SR225 and Sen 650's.

Pretty much they both had problems. The SR225's did not image well at all, nothing had much placement to it especially the vocals. The 650's bass overwhelmed everything else and the vocals were very recessed, ick! [the 20k reference system did not suffer from these probs]

So what do you recommend for doing justice to this album? k1000s? do tell..

thanks

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 25
I find the recording quality of the album to be pretty sad to be used as a reference for headphones. But your requirements are specific and hence it makes sense. You ask for the headphones that can make the Eraser album sound its best.

I might not have the exact answer but I would take a look at headphones that have huge soundstage, high instrument seperation and lean bass since the album as such seems bass heavy IMO. Anything with even slightly bloated bass or a hump is gonna overwhelm you with bass.

PS:'Skip Divided' has to be one of the best songs Thom Yorke has ever written
cool.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 25
thom yorke
plainface.gif
580smile.gif

I love the way The Eraser sounds on my V6s, but are you sure you want to base you headphone purchase on this album? I've not found many other albums like it so I don't know if it would be a good reference point or not.. but it's up to you.

I definitely wouldn't recommend the SR225 for the album, it was nearly unlistenable when I used to have a pair of them. It doesn't sound too bad on my HD555, so maybe the HD595? It is supposed to have better bass and highs, it seems like it might be a pretty good match to me.

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 25
You're considering getting a K1000 just to listen to that one album? Are you sure you're not just nitpicking, because when I think of Thom Yorke and Radiohead I immediately think HD600 or HD650, the latter which you already have.

I do think the AD2000's will do them justice. They are a bit more forward then the Senn's, have that Grado impact and are pretty detailed. Not sure how you would like them though, just a suggestion

Jan 5, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 25
The Eraser sounds very good on my K271S. Good imaging, good detail, not too much bass. Have you tried a K701?

Jan 5, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're considering getting a K1000 just to listen to that one album? Are you sure you're not just nitpicking, because when I think of Thom Yorke and Radiohead I immediately think HD600 or HD650, the latter which you already have.

Without first listening to a reference system, hearing the earser with the HD650's was a unpleasant experience. There are some things that i can consider nit picking but the recessed vocals and drowning bass were major major issues that made the SR225's sound refreshing in contrast.

To answer patrox89: I was listening to all the phones with an amp, however I do not know what kind it was. It is safe to say it was not a creme of the crop amp.

I also listened to a demo disc that had some nora jones and other superb recordings on it and the bass of the HD650 was certainly not an issue. However, with the eraser, i can't stand'em. With the 20k B&W system, yum. I know there is a phone out there that can handle it... any more thoughts maybe with regard to k701's or the K/G 1000s

Jan 5, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 25
The k1000's are making some lovely noises with that album at this very second. They are a match, for every reason that jilgiljongiljing [sp.] suggests. Fast and accurate, with solid but not overpowering bass. Yup, you know you want to spend $1000 for 1 album. The curse is strong in you, young paduwan.

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 25
Have you seen the picture floating around of Yorke in the studio???? He wears AKGs, either 240s or 271s. I imagine those would be the best choice.

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen the picture floating around of Yorke in the studio???? He wears AKGs, either 240s or 271s. I imagine those would be the best choice.

Yeah, he also had them on backwards
cool.gif

But it's okay, he's Thom Yorke!

Jan 5, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would take a look at headphones that have huge soundstage, high instrument seperation and lean bass since the album as such seems bass heavy IMO.

SA5000's?

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 25
I have Shures E500 and haven't enjyed anythin as much as The Eraser on them. They seem a perfect match. Yes the bass is strong, but this is obviously intentional. The important thing is that the E500's don't lose anything in the other frequencies as a result, which makes for some unbelievable listening.

You've gotta respect Thom
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 25
That's Thom Yorke, with an E!
wink.gif

i like black swan (and the rest of that album)

people get crushed like biscuit crumbs

you have tried your best to please everyone

can't help with phones though, all I have are lowly HD201's (with my 2.1's of course)

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_accoustics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always knew Thom boy used AK's. I mean... what else!?

271s it is then... time to hit the new and used markets.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

there was one availible on the FS forum a few days ago, not sure if it still is

i own a k271S with zu cable, and really love it, but it really doesn't have much bass, and the above phones seem to be chosen because of their bass

just my two cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back