Best headphones for listening to jazz vocalists??
Sep 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #17 of 50
So after doing some research I think I have narrowed it down to either the Senn 555 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. To me the Senns look more comfortable because the ATs look massive, but I have read a lot of people say they are very comfortable. I have also read that the AT offers slightly superior sound than then the Senns

So can anybody sell me on one over the other? I am open to suggestions still, but I haven't came across many other headphones in this price range that offer the large soundstage and neutral sound that these two pairs appear to offer and I think are probably two of the most important aspects for jazz listening cans

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR 80 can be consider if you want to stretch the budget a bit.

i 2nd on that suggestion!
regular_smile .gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #19 of 50
I think the OP said no amp, so 501's are out. The old Fostex hps are supposed to have very natural vocal presentation...don't know about new models. I love vocals with the k240DF, but it's 600ohm...k271(75ohm?) used might be a good option for use out of computer.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the OP said no amp, so 501's are out. The old Fostex hps are supposed to have very natural vocal presentation...don't know about new models. I love vocals with the k240DF, but it's 600ohm...k271(75ohm?) used might be a good option for use out of computer.

Yes, the Fostex T-20 v2 have one of the best vocal presentation, as well the K271MKll.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 50
tape modded grado sr80 (with bowl pads)

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #23 of 50
fwir, the other options I have listed offer a larger soundstage than grados, which I think would be beneficial for jazz listening. I have also read that the HD 555s are warmer and better for listening to vocalists than the Audio Technicas. I have also read many people saying that grados are not comfortable for them. Is there any truth to any of these statements?

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #25 of 50
Bringing back a dinosaur here guys. I have to shamefully admit that these headphones never got purchased.

I am about to order these cans for my dad, and I have it narrowed down to:
-Grato SR80 - not sure what the diff is b/w the 80 and 80i models
-AKG K99
-Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Out of these choices, is there any clear winner or loser out of the bunch, or anything I should be aware of? To recap, I am looking for something around $100 that will be good for listening to jazz and jazz vocalists, and can be powered off a pc tower without the need for a headphone jack.

Best,
-J

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #26 of 50
the SR-80i (the i's are the current model) are great cans for jazz. Lots of fun, easy to drive - will be fine from the computer. You'll feel like you are on stage with the band. 

I do recommend getting the l-cush pads for him. Huge improvement in sound. 

I love the AD700 for classical, but I feel like they lack punch for jazz. 

Never listened to the K99 - but frankly, I don't see that model coming up often when looking at AKG's offerings... the K240 would be a good choice though - very solid performer, and good match with rock and jazz. Also easy to power from a computer output. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #27 of 50
Hey thanks for the reply.

Could you clarify what you mean by the i-cush pads?

I mentioned the K99 b/c I was at Guitar Center and the store manager mentioned them to me, but I would expect most of the headphones there to be for studio/dj applications, so he might have just been picking me the best of his inventory.

I do like AKG's a lot though. What would be the big differences b/w the K240 and the K271MkII? In terms of sound? Will both sound good w/out an external amp?

I was looking at the Audio Technicas and they just look massive, so I think those are out. It's important that whatever I get are comfortable and relatively light on the head.

Right now I am considering:
AKG K271MKII
AKG K240
Grado SR80i
Allesandro MS1

$100 isn't an absolute budget, it's just a number that I would like to try to stay around, so if there are other good options I haven't mentioned, please toss them out there. Also, please keep in mind that these headphones will be used to listen to primarily jazz vocalists (Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Billy Holiday, etc), so not quite the same as funky jazz or instrumental jazz, etc.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #28 of 50
The SR-80i is a good choice, but I'd definitely look into getting some different pads, as the stock ones bother a lot of people.  I personally don't find them that uncomfortable, but I agree that they could use improvement.

Why did you rule out the HD-555?  From what I've read, they can be very easily modded into being very close to the HD-595, which a lot of people use as a go-to for this sort of purpose.

I'm a huge jazz fan, and greatly enjoyed the SR-80i for jazz until I picked up higher-end cans (which for jazz I'm still using Grados and Senns), so I don't think you can go wrong there with either brand.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #29 of 50
Although I'm not recommending the Audio Technica's, uncomfortable the AD line is NOT! They look massive but jesus they feel like a feather on my head
bigsmile_face.gif

As for the headphones, anyone around here try a modded Fostx T50?

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #30 of 50

Quote:

Could you clarify what you mean by the i-cush pads?

L-cush pads - the bowl pads that come stock on the SR-125 and higher. They cost about $20. 
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-L-Cush-Large-Replacement-Cushions/dp/B0006GCCO0

Quote:

I do like AKG's a lot though. What would be the big differences b/w the K240 and the K271MkII? In terms of sound? Will both sound good w/out an external amp?

The 240 is semi-open, and has a larger soundstage. It does not isolate as well as the 271, but it opens it up more and I think, frankly, the 240 sounds better - especially for jazz/rock. Both are fine without a separate amp, but do scale up if he adds one later. 

Quote:
I was looking at the Audio Technicas and they just look massive, so I think those are out. It's important that whatever I get are comfortable and relatively light on the head.

The Grados are NOT particularly comfortable for most people. I am ok with them, but many people complain about long listening sessions (over 2 hours). The AT's are very lightweight and comfortable. I also find the AKG 240s to be very comfortable. 

Quote:
$100 isn't an absolute budget, it's just a number that I would like to try to stay around, so if there are other good options I haven't mentioned, please toss them out there. Also, please keep in mind that these headphones will be used to listen to primarily jazz vocalists (Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Billy Holiday, etc), so not quite the same as funky jazz or instrumental jazz, etc.

You might also look at  the Sennheiser 555/558 mentioned above. It is a very solidly performing headphone - very comfortable. It has a laid back sound signature that, while not as much fun as the grado or akg, is pretty easy to listen to and enjoyable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back