Best headphones for listening to jazz vocalists??
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #31 of 50

Quote:
As for the headphones, anyone around here try a modded Fostx T50?

I love my T50RP's - even stock, they are a lot of fun. But they do have some deficiencies that require modding to mitigate, and that can be tricky, when you are giving a gift to someone who may not have the time, inclination, or know-how to go about customizing their cans. 

There are enough great phones in the OP's price range for the desired genres, that I don't think this route is needed. 

With that said. They *can* be some fantastic cans. Even with nothing more than an ear pad replacement to make them more comfortable. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #32 of 50
Well, I was thinking he could do that for his daddy and he'd appreciate it :)

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #33 of 50

Why did you rule out the HD-555? 

The 555's were the ones I originally thought seemed like a really good option. They seem extremely comfortable from their looks and what people say, but I just didn't hear anything about their sound that was what I would call a glowing review. Everything seemed to be "decent" or "respectable" but nothing that really gave me the impression they had a great or exciting sound. Does this sound familiar, or would the forum disagree with this statement?

That said, I've listened to the SR80 and wasn't blown away. Admittedly, I am no audiophile, but I own a pair of Senn HD-25-ii and AKG 81DJ's and I wasn't amazed by the SR80, but it could just as easily be I am not listening for the right things.

Could you link me up to the HD-555 mod you are referring to? If it is relatively basic, I would be open to performing the mod myself before handing the cans over to my dad.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #34 of 50
Very basic mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

FWIW, your HD25-1 ii are great cans, they outperform just about all of these in all respects except soundstage. 

The 80i isn't much to listen to with the stock pads. They truly cripple the cans. 

Regarding the 555, they are not exciting. They have the sennheiser open signature which is laid back. It is very enjoyable, but it is not exciting. 

Are they great? I don't know that I can class ANY of these great. They are all good though - especially for the price.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #35 of 50
Dec 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #36 of 50
I've been very unimpressed by the 518, personally. If you can stretch to the 555/558 is is well worth it. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #39 of 50
Acix would you recommend the K271MKII over the K240MKII if having a closed headphone is not necessary?

It is my understanding that the K240 is essentially the K271, except the K240 is a semi-open design. It's always been my understanding that 90% of the time you are able to get a better sound from open headphones, and there is no need for these headphones to be a closed design.

Between the modded Senn HD-555 and the K240MKII, which would you recommend? Or would you still recommend the K271MKII?

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #40 of 50

Quote:
Acix would you recommend the K271MKII over the K240MKII if having a closed headphone is not necessary?

It is my understanding that the K240 is essentially the K271, except the K240 is a semi-open design. It's always been my understanding that 90% of the time you are able to get a better sound from open headphones, and there is no need for these headphones to be a closed design.

Between the modded Senn HD-555 and the K240MKII, which would you recommend? Or would you still recommend the K271MKII?

Interesting....didn't know the 271 and the 240 shared the same driver. Is that a fact? Seems kind of strange, because the 240S is known to have way more bass than the 271. If the driver was the same I'd think the bass would be closer....or it would be reversed....closed having more bass.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #41 of 50
idk, I thought i read that, but looking at the product specifications the 271MKii frequency response is listed at 16k to 28k hz and the 240MKII is listed at 15k to 25k, so I would assume they are different drivers.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #42 of 50
I believe they are the same driver. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #43 of 50
The listed frequency response is probably the most useless bit of information put on headphones to fool people. Because humans can barely hear out of the 20 - 20khz range, it's just there to make the headphones look more impressive. The only case I've ever seen them be relevant is on balanced armature earphones. 

Quote:
idk, I thought i read that, but looking at the product specifications the 271MKii frequency response is listed at 16k to 28k hz and the 240MKII is listed at 15k to 25k, so I would assume they are different drivers.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #44 of 50
Hey, so I think I want to get him the Sennheisers. Just a few questions:

1) Is there any significant difference b/w the hd555 and hd558? Would one be preferable to the other for listening to jazz?

2) Does the hd558 benefit from the same mod as the hd555, or would they sound better as is?

3) Any idea where to get the best deal on these headphones? I originally thought I could find these around $100-$125, but the best I am seeing at most places is about $150

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #45 of 50

Quote:
Hey, so I think I want to get him the Sennheisers. Just a few questions:

1) Is there any significant difference b/w the hd555 and hd558? Would one be preferable to the other for listening to jazz?

No. Nothing really significant. Some minor changes in the Frequency response, but frankly, about as much as sample variation covers. Some people feel that the 558 has a more open soundstage.

Quote:
2) Does the hd558 benefit from the same mod as the hd555, or would they sound better as is?

As far as I know, yes. Both have improvements, though it is at the cost of some reduced control over the bass (not an issue in my opinion, but others have mentioned it). It would be worth while to keep it stock for a while, IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back