Best headphones for iPhone?
Jun 24, 2013 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

placidity

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for the best headphones for use with my iPhone 5 and I have no idea where to start.  I'm new to audio and everything and I'd appreciate it if you guys helped out.  I listen to Rock and Rap.  Don't really have a budget I just want to know the highest end headphones you can use without an amp.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 4
An amp is really only needed for headphones that are hard to drive. This means they are inefficient motors and usually have a high impedance. 300 to 600 Ohm certainly needs an amp. Driven on a idevice, they just won't play loud.

It is also said that amps will help control the drivers better, which is true. But one can certainly enjoy good headphones without an amp. With an amp the sound WILL get better, but its like with DACs. You see, the headphones make the music. AMPs and DACs "change" the sound on a much lesser scale than using a different headphone would.

Now, decent portable amps can be had for 100 to 150 dollars.

That said, there is no "best headphone" for an iPhone. It really depends on what type of sound you prefer. And the only way to do that is by testing them, on YOUR head. Of course you can get a feel for this stuff by reading here.

There are many headphones I like without amplification, my current favorite out and about headphone is the Sennheiser HD-25-1-II. Decent sound, good isolation and durable. I personally love the "techy" look of them. As soon as I can buy it, I will probably get the HD-26 PRO. I always choose closed back headphones for mobile, and they shouldn't be too huge.

For home listening it is different. Big, open headphones are fine there.

BTW, there is now a subforum for help requests. FYI.

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you! I'm going with the hd 26 pro. I was going to go with Beats by dre because I was naiiive and believed the hype.

Glad you joined, huh? Thing is with beats: they look good and people (uninformed people) will give you cred for them. But in audio reality, they are not worth their price for that cred. Sonically they are just mid-fi.

You will probably be one of the first to review the HD-26 Pro! Make sure to post it here! IF you can get one that is. Most suppliers are getting them next month I think. I demoed them at a convention, I liked them! I also love split headband design. Look different and are quite functional,

Another thought: Make sure to buy at a place that allows you to return them in case you don't like them for some reason.

Other contenders in that price range are the Beyerdynamic DT-1350. Very nice headphones but to me, they sounded "cuppy" if that makes any sense. Others swear on them.

Others will probably chime in to this thread soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back