Best Headphones For Heavy Rock/Metal
Feb 18, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #32 of 42
I bought the HF-2 for my metal collection. Should arrive in a couple of hours actually
tongue.gif
I used to own the SR-225, sold it and now have ALO-780. The ALO-780 have AWESOME bass and high's. I love them so far, but they shine with electronica, hardcore etc. I do not listen to those genre's but I listened to a few songs with these ALO-780 just to see how good they were. Denon MD5000 would be a good bet if you want a large soundstage in a closed can I believe. PRO 900 are probably a worse idea then 750, because of their heavy bass and extended high's. You may hate this or love it. The 750 is more balanced. Get the Grado HF-2 if you can. It has been called the king of metal by some. For $350, you can't go wrong. You can always add jumbo's and Chux wipes on the drivers to get a larger soundstage, more comfort etc. I believe the RS-1 would be the best for rock, HF-2 for metal. Don't quote me on that though. If I listened to more rock I would have gotten the RS-1. I bought my HF-2 for $550us BRAND NEW about a week ago, I will let ya know how they are going when they come. In a couple of weeks, I will do a head to head comparison with my ALO-780. Bands like Pantera, Slayer, In Flames, Lamb of God and Static-X.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #33 of 42
Until the HF-2 B-stock passes, there should be no discussion on which cans to get. Definitely try your luck come Monday, will be totally worth it if you do end up with one.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will do a head to head comparison with my ALO-780. Bands like Pantera, Slayer, In Flames, Lamb of God and Static-X.

I love all those bands. I will try to snatch the HF-2 B stock but I probably won't get lucky. I have heard a lot of good things about the Pro 750s and they can be picked up pretty cheap 2. They might be my 2nd option.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #35 of 42
Good luck, they will sell damn quick
biggrin.gif
I am burning in the HF-2 right now. I have made a new thread discussing my impressions if you want to read it
smily_headphones1.gif
Long story short, too bright for my tastes as of now (should change with burn in) but has that good ol' Grado headbangin' spirit! Very stereo sound, hugely different form my ALO-780.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #37 of 42
Lol again, you are saying that just because you have them, VALIENTE. You should really look at reviews of other Grado's and different cans and then ask yourself, is he going to want the SR-60i if he is looking at the "best" metal/rock headphones? He also is looking for cans between $300 and $500. As of this moment angle_shooter, I say get some Ultrasone's. The Grado will get you into the music and you want to headbang, but you miss out on detail and the deep, deep bass of the Ultrasone's. Listening to DevilDriver right now, I have never enjoyed them as much as I do right now! I Dreamed I Died is just epic
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #38 of 42
I just found your thread.

Getting back to my small criticism of the AD2000s, you could do the phat mod to make smearing go away or you could just stay away from genres that really are a wall of noise. I was listening to some various Dream Theatre songs and had no issues. Aimless1 was doing the same and he also had no issues. So if things are complex, I can get this smearing to occur. It's not that odd anyway and the AD2000s are still enjoyable if you only can have 1 can.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #39 of 42
Well just to update I finally found a good headphone for hard rock and heavy metal - it's called AD1000PRM. Its a really fast and up front fun sounding headphone with lots of prat and impact, it's also good for jazz and classical. Still love my DT880 for pink floyd and other progressive/art/electronic/slow/soft rock but with heavy metal it is completely boring in comparison to the AD1000PRM, so I'm pretty happy with the way they compliment each other
beyersmile.png

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget is $300 - $500

I want phones that will be able to handle the complex passages of heavy rock music with ease and clarity. I like clean detailed impactful bass but don't want it to be overpowering or muddy and sloppy. I like detailed sparkling highs but not too bright or forward and definitely I don't want piercing/fatiguing highs. Also I don't like recessed mids, I like the vocals to be up front and prominent.

So I am considering the following:

Ultrasone Pro 750
Ultrasone Pro 900
ATH-AD2000

I know that a lot of people say the Grados are good for this type of music but I am worried they will be too bright for me. Which Grado would be the least on the bright side... something like RS1 or MS2?

I would go with a used RS1/RS1i or HF2. They are the best cans for rock/metal out there IMHO. They definitely do not have recessed mids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back