Best Headphones For Heavy Rock/Metal
Feb 17, 2010 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

angle_sh00ter

500+ Head-Fier
Budget is $300 - $500

I want phones that will be able to handle the complex passages of heavy rock music with ease and clarity. I like clean detailed impactful bass but don't want it to be overpowering or muddy and sloppy. I like detailed sparkling highs but not too bright or forward and definitely I don't want piercing/fatiguing highs. Also I don't like recessed mids, I like the vocals to be up front and prominent.

So I am considering the following:

Ultrasone Pro 750
Ultrasone Pro 900
ATH-AD2000

I know that a lot of people say the Grados are good for this type of music but I am worried they will be too bright for me. Which Grado would be the least on the bright side... something like RS1 or MS2?

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 42
Judging from others, the Alessandro headphones are basically Grados with a slightly more laid-back sound. They probably wouldn't be as bright. I think I've seen others say that the HF-2 has less treble than other Grados.

But besides the highs, th 325is sounds like the perfect headphone. You'll have to try them to see whether the highs are too bright for you or not. Some say they can't stand them, others say they're much more beautiful than they are painful. I think they're the top contenders for my next upgrade because their resolution and detail sounds heavenly. But that's what I get for reading the 325 Appreciation thread.

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 42
From my experience, Ultrasone is even more brighter than Grado SR325i, the brightest Grado of all.

I suggest grab MS2, which have rather good bass and smoothest high compared to other Grado and spend rest of 200$ on amp and/or amp/DAC combo.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Judging from others, the Alessandro headphones are basically Grados with a slightly more laid-back sound. They probably wouldn't be as bright. I think I've seen others say that the HF-2 has less treble than other Grados.

But besides the highs, th 325is sounds like the perfect headphone. You'll have to try them to see whether the highs are too bright for you or not. Some say they can't stand them, others say they're much more beautiful than they are painful. I think they're the top contenders for my next upgrade because their resolution and detail sounds heavenly. But that's what I get for reading the 325 Appreciation thread.

+1.

I would recommend the RS-1, like you said. They're much better than the 325 (especially in terms of brightness) and also have a somewhat warm character. FWIR, the AD2k is comparable to the SA5k in speed and detail but much less cold and analytical with a smaller sound stage.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 42
RS1i if you stretch your budget a tad...

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1i if you stretch your budget a tad...

Eh, he could grab a non-i RS1 for 450 used. Unless the market's changed.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 42
Kees Modded Ultrasone Pro900's or Grado RS1i's both are excellent choices when it comes to heavy metal.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kees Modded Ultrasone Pro900's or Grado RS1i's both are excellent choices when it comes to heavy metal.

They are out of his budget.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are out of his budget.

Used Pro900's easily go for less than $400 in the FS/ft forums and there are threads of people getting them new for $350 iirc.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 42
Listening to metal on my hd580 I get what the OP wants. Everything enumerated on the list is a check
biggrin.gif
Grados are too uneven for me to hear all the nuances in the cymbals with metal.

Listening to Ihsahn and Meshuggah earlier comparing my hd580s to the beyer dt150s, The 580s let me hear everything and the bass is well blended to the rest of the spectrum. Mids are spectacular and highs are perfectly blended in. Ive never heard metal sound as good as they do on my senns.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 42
My shortlist has gotten longer:

D2k, D5k, ATH-AD2k, Pro 750, Pro 900, RS1

For some reason I am prejudiced against grados - I just think they will be a fatiguing harsh sound even though I have never heard a pair before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back