Best headphones for electronic music (trance, progressive)?
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

essential-oils

Previously known as jlesnick
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Posts
90
Likes
12
 
Sorry for the n00b post.  I've seen a few threads similar to mine, but my tastes vary a little from other users.
 
I've had the Shure se530's and 535's for 5 years now.  They've been amazing, truly stunning for electronic music, but I'm ready to upgrade to big boy headphones.  Looking for something around a grand (plus or minus 300).  I mainly listen to trance, progressive trance, progressive house and classical music (Matt Lange, Above & Beyond, Hybrid, Mahler, Digweed, Anjunabeats and anjunadeep).  I'm not looking for overwhelming bass.  If anything I have a lot more appreciation for the sub-bass.  That's not to say that I don't want true and representative bass.  Sound quality is the most important thing to me, portability and comfort are second.  It'd be nice to take them out of the house with me, but if I can't I'll always have my trusty shure's.  One last note, big sucker for euphoric and well produced vocals.  The shure's had a way about making good vocals just sparkle.  Would love to have a commensurate result from some over the ear's.
 
I've heard good things about Grado's, Audeze's and Ultrasone's.  Just not sure which would work for me.  I really appreciate any feedback and advice. Thanks guys!
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 58

Dubstep Girl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Posts
7,812
Likes
318
Location
SoCal / OC
LCD-2 for balance and clean deep bass. 
 
Denon D7000 if you can sacrifice a bit of quality for more sub-bass.
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 58

NiTramZ

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 16, 2011
Posts
45
Likes
10
Ultrasone Pro900 are probably one of the best cans for electronic music for around 300, they are crisp clear and provide an excellent low end. Only problem in your case is that they are not very portable and some may think their comfort isnt that great (i think they're awesome).
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 58

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Posts
807
Likes
52
+1 for the LCD-2s. They're overall dark sounding, so vocals have a lot of weight to them, which may be a good or bad thing for you. Listening to Infected Mushroom on them is simply amazing and they have some of the best bass presentation of any headphone I've ever heard.
 
The only high-end Ultrasone I've spent a little time with is the edition 8. Ultrasones are funny sounding to me and I don't personally like them. They seem to have a "U" sound signature. Lots of bass and somewhat sibilant treble.
 
I would also look into the HD-650s. They are, after all, Sennheiser's former flagship. I haven't spent as much time with them, but the 580/600s do not disappoint with electronic music for me, and the 650s are a little south of neutral which could be better for electronic.
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 58

Dubstep Girl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Posts
7,812
Likes
318
Location
SoCal / OC


Quote:
+1 for the LCD-2s. They're overall dark sounding, so vocals have a lot of weight to them, which may be a good or bad thing for you. Listening to Infected Mushroom on them is simply amazing and they have some of the best bass presentation of any headphone I've ever heard.
 
The only high-end Ultrasone I've spent a little time with is the edition 8. Ultrasones are funny sounding to me and I don't personally like them. They seem to have a "U" sound signature. Lots of bass and somewhat sibilant treble.
 
I would also look into the HD-650s. They are, after all, Sennheiser's former flagship. I haven't spent as much time with them, but the 580/600s do not disappoint with electronic music for me, and the 650s are a little south of neutral which could be better for electronic.

i love the hd 650s despite being more colored than the lcd-2, they are funner sounding. but the lcd-2 are great for trance, especially infected mushroom! very tight bass.
 
 
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 58

essential-oils

Previously known as jlesnick
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Posts
90
Likes
12


Quote:
LCD-2 for balance and clean deep bass. 
 
Denon D7000 if you can sacrifice a bit of quality for more sub-bass.



a fellow chicagoan :)
 
so you're saying that the LCD-2 is better for the tightness of trance, but what if the trance i listen to is the more hypnotic progressive stuff and uplifting as opposed to the banging psy stuff? still the LCD-2? is there any reason to consider the LCD-3?
 
a little dark is good too :) the shure's have some darkness tonality wise and i've always loved that.
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 58

Dubstep Girl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Posts
7,812
Likes
318
Location
SoCal / OC
 
they are still good.
 
the lcd-3 i think have less bass and wider soundstage. however, the bass is still just as clean if not even better.
 
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 58

essential-oils

Previously known as jlesnick
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Posts
90
Likes
12
damn amazon doesn't have any Audeze products : /
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 58

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Posts
807
Likes
52


Quote:
damn amazon doesn't have any Audeze products : /



No, but Sears does, which is kinda odd. As far as the LCD-3 goes. They have better treble presence and extension and mids aren't as recessed. But, I don't think the difference warrants double the price tag.
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 58

gelocks

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 6, 2011
Posts
4,381
Likes
387
Aren't those LCD-3s giving a lot of problems (Quality!?) recently?
I mean, for 2k+ I would expect pretty reliable cans!
 
Anyway, I've only tried the Ultrasone DJ-1s (which I heard are the same as the HFI580s?!?) and I have
the Denon D5000s right now. On EDM, dubstep, etc. I definitely find the D5000s extremely awesome
and most comfortable than those Ultrasones. Not sure if the 900Pros have the same "fit"!
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 58

Dubstep Girl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Posts
7,812
Likes
318
Location
SoCal / OC


Quote:
Aren't those LCD-3s giving a lot of problems (Quality!?) recently?
I mean, for 2k+ I would expect pretty reliable cans!
 
Anyway, I've only tried the Ultrasone DJ-1s (which I heard are the same as the HFI580s?!?) and I have
the Denon D5000s right now. On EDM, dubstep, etc. I definitely find the D5000s extremely awesome
and most comfortable than those Ultrasones. Not sure if the 900Pros have the same "fit"!



i know that one dude on here prefers the cleaner sound  of the d5000 vs the pro 900 for electronic.
 
i know the pro 900s are comfortable, but can be awkward for some people, the denon definitely have a better fit than the pro 900
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #14 of 58

essential-oils

Previously known as jlesnick
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Posts
90
Likes
12


Quote:
i know that one dude on here prefers the cleaner sound  of the d5000 vs the pro 900 for electronic.
 
i know the pro 900s are comfortable, but can be awkward for some people, the denon definitely have a better fit than the pro 900



Cleaner sound is good and bad.  2004/2005 and earlier, you want something that isn't super clean.  2005 and beyond you want something cleaner sounding.  So where is the middle ground lol? 
 
Also, are open air headphones like the LCD-2 good for trance?  I read in a few places that closed models are much better.
 
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 58

LithoJazoSphere

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Posts
366
Likes
17
I prefer the Pro 900s over the D5000s for electronic music.  They have a similar amount of sub-bass, but the Pro 900 has significantly more mid-bass for that kick-in-the chest feel, a bit brighter treble, and is a little more responsive and quick for busier genres like DnB.  The Pro 900 is ok in comfort, but the D5000 is hard to beat in that regard.  The D500 might be a little better for less dancey genres like trip-hop that rely more on immersing you in an ocean of bass than slamming you with it, but for more energetic genres I don't know if the Pro 900 can be beat, though I haven't heard the cans around $1,000 and up yet like the LCD-2.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top