Best headphones for Electronic and Classical music?
Jul 22, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0x000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what kind of sound I could possibly describe to you. Also, I may listen to many types of electronic and classical music, as my library is small right now and I don't know much of what I like and don't like.

Try ROCK music. You heard me.
nitro512.jpg

(Okay that might be a little too much rock.)

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #18 of 30
K271S (or one of its brothers)? Not a bass monster but detailed, pretty neutral and comfortable. IMO nice for the genres mentioned.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #22 of 30
I will assume right now that I want neutral sounding headphones (not too much emphasis in any frequency range), or ones with very little colouring. Are AKG's good for that?

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #24 of 30
I liked my Grado R80's with classical, especially choirs. The vocals were put right at the front compared with my Ultrasones and what I can remember of my Senn HD600's.

Need to really turn the volume up to get the same effect now.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

And how will I know if my Cowon D2 will give enough power to the headphones? Do the ohms determine that?

No, not necessarily. This post does a good job explaining the relationship of impedance to how hard something is to drive.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4564149-post6.html

Quote:

I will assume right now that I want neutral sounding headphones (not too much emphasis in any frequency range), or ones with very little colouring. Are AKG's good for that?

A good number of AKGs are relatively neutral, but most good AKGs benefit significantly from an amp. Now, it's possible that one of the better AKGs will sound better than a lower end headphone out of a portable anyways, but some people believe otherwise.

If you plan to get an amp later, a lot of people like the Beyer DT880 for both electronic and classical music, but they're also a little bit treble focused. The issue with the Beyers is the 600 Ohm ones are supposedly the most balanced sounding, but they cost more than you're willing to pay for headphones.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistachio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electronic spans alot of different sounds. Early 90's acid would do well with a Grado. IDM would do well with a K701. etc etc

The RS-1 are great, but not much of the sound stage
triportsad.gif
the K702 are my favorite, but if you are a bass head, or DJ, just go Ultrasones. Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...arison-401879/

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 30
I primarily listen to eletronic and classical music and really enjoy the AKG K501 for this. I prefer them in many ways to my K701, as there is no sibilance and what I feel is a better over all frequency response. They are very monitor like in their sound signature with the amp I have, and generally do much better unamped than the K701. They can be found used here cheaper than the K701s.

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 30
The ATH-AD700 is pretty decent for classical straight out of an ipod. It' may be a bit bass light for the electronica without an amp/eq but it is considerably cheaper than the k701. You may also want to go with the shure srh840.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #30 of 30
Ok, the person who previously offered to pay for part of the cost of the headphones decided he couldn't pay his part, so I had to use only the money I had, which was $60. I decided to get the SR60's for $50 as my beginner headphones.

I guess I wouldn't have benefited from this thread anyway, as I have no headphone experience, I can't describe what sounds I like, and I had a very small budget (actually, the budget is what ruined it most). I do appreciate the time you guys took to help me, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back