Best headphones for Electronic and Classical music?
Jul 22, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

0x000

New Head-Fier
If this is the wrong forum please move this to the appropriate section.

I need full-sized headphones with a price limit of $140. I listen to mostly Electronic and Classical music, but no rock music whatsoever.

I have been looking at the SR60i's and the SR80i's, and those look like good options for me. I haven't looked at any other options, but do you guys have any other recommendations?

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 30
Generally Grados are recommended specifically for rock while rarely ever recommended for classical. You're probably going up the wrong tree with Grados. With a price limit of $140, I'm not really sure what would be good for both classical and electronic. I've also always felt it's better to ask based on what type of sound you think you'll prefer from your headphones rather than what type of music you listen to, but that's just my personal opinion. The new Shure SRH840 might be good for your needs fwir, but it's just slightly out of your price range; some sellers are selling them for about $160 so if you're willing to stretch your limit a bit more, then that might be a good option. FWIR, the soundstage is smaller than that of an open phone that accels at soundstage so they might not be the best for full size modern orchestras, but chamber music and smaller orchestras should probably be fine.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 30
I'm pretty new here too, but I am seeing some awfully good prices on quality gear in the Gear For Sale Or Trade section. I'd suggest trawling that forum; when cans come up that sound like they'd fit the bill, research each to see if it's going to be a good match to your tastes. It also seems there's always someone willing to help out by ansering questions. Nice place, this.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0x000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's $40 over my budget, and I am not seeing any headphones for sale <$140

Yes, $40 over your budget, but this is probably the best headphones that you can get in this price range.
k701smile.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 30
I'll see if I can muster up the remaining cash.

eta: and if I have to get any other accessory for the K701's, like an amp, regardless of source, then I can't get them.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

I'll see if I can muster up the remaining cash.

eta: and if I have to get any other accessory for the K701's, like an amp, regardless of source, then I can't get them.

They're low sensitivity and low impedance which means they're a hassle to amp. You'll need a powerful amp that can both provide enough mW to get them loud and enough current to get them to sound like they should which honestly will cost some money. Most of the mid level amps people like with the K701 costs about $300. That's not to say they won't sound good without an amp, but they will improve with one. There's also the consideration that you just won't like their sound period like a fairly large number of members here. The K701 is a polarizing headphone and I would never recommend it without an audition or a strong idea that the K701 would be what the people is looking for.

I mentioned it before, but it would be much more helpful if you told us what type of sound you want from your headphones rather than just stating broad genres of music you listen to and hoping we'll throw answers that happen to work your way. With only the two genres listed as qualifications for the headphones you want a price range, most people will just recommend what they have or what they like without really any consideration to what you may actually want.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 30
I'm not sure what kind of sound I could possibly describe to you. Also, I may listen to many types of electronic and classical music, as my library is small right now and I don't know much of what I like and don't like.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 30
What, if any equipment do you have now, including source and headphones or speakers? This will give folks who know what you have more information to make better suggestions.

You can go look at the sticky glossary thread for terms to describe what you may want.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 30
For sources I have the Cowon D2, and just a laptop with integrated sound.

I have a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV40 speakers. I have no headphones currently

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

I'm not sure what kind of sound I could possibly describe to you. Also, I may listen to many types of electronic and classical music, as my library is small right now and I don't know much of what I like and don't like.

I'm sorry about complicating the situation, but one of the most important things is to know what you want. There's a lot of members who buy headphones just to sell them off in a month because they don't know what they want. Of course, it's very difficult to know what you like without auditioning so if possible you should go to a meet in your area to try out some gear so you can get your bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back