Best headphones for comfort and quality (Glasses wearer)
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 28
3rd person I've convinced to get the 518 :) makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Especially after trying to get my friend to buy the akg k550, he ends up with beats....

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #17 of 28
honestly for under 120 of the headphones i have, only the sony xb500's dont seem to interfere with comfort nor seal while im wearing glasses, the xb1000's are the most comfortable pair i own with glasses while also providing excellent sound quality & seal but they're over the 120 price u set so i suggest looking into the xb700 (which i never heard but i hear arent too far removed from the xb1000's soundwise) 

the ath pro700mk2's are also crazy comfortable with glasses but only with beyerdynamic gel pads. you can get the pro700's used at that price if you look around but the earpads themselves are $40 so that puts it above budget

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #18 of 28
The 518's just came in and I'm wearing them now. They're quite different from anything I've worn in the past. One headset would be very reliant on gravity and weighing itself down to hold it on, while others are more pinch to the sides of your head. This one seems to be a good combination of both actually. Now nothing about this headset is broken in so I'll have to revisit a week or so from now, but so far the headband does feel a bit stiff as do the ear cups, but it's nothing that is going to make me like them any less. Sound stage is wonderful for music so far and the immediate comfort with glasses, not prolonged as I've been wearing them only for the last 20 minutes, is relatively good. I expect that they will get better once everything is broken in, but even now, I'm very pleased :) Thanks for all of the recommendations!

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #19 of 28
Im glad you like them! the scratchiness you might feel on the pads goes away after a couple of days to weeks depending on how much you wear them.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 28
glad to hear that! also the earpads will soften quite a lot after some use and it will become more comfortable too.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
I saw in another post of yours street that you had 558's, how are the velour pads on those?

well lol its in my sig too. the valours on these have become so soft that they are softer than the new HD598 pads (and the HD558 pads were significantly firmer than the HD598 at purchase. so believe the HD518 pads should soften quite a lot too) but regardless they all should be very comfortable after some use
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
Would it be worthwhile to get some of those for my 518s or just see how these turn out?

well you can exchange them, but only if you don't find them comfortable for a while then you should change them. 
(though they are so huge its pretty unlikely that they have to be as hard as stone to be uncomfortable
tongue.gif
)

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 28
If I had velour ones, I'd swap in a heartbeat, the scratchiness p***es me off. Do you have a link to pads that you KNOW are velour and not the weird stuff on the 518's??

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #26 of 28
i thought the HD518 used velour
confused.gif
 maybe you could ask sennheiser to order HD558 earpads?
also maybe you can try washing the earpads, i know the scratchyness of my grado earpads (they are famous for being scratchy) became softer over time and over a wash or 2

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #27 of 28
I think its some sort of fake velour, idk. I don't have any confirmed velour pads ti compare. Also, in most products they boast having velour pads, not a mention of it on the 518's. the material feels too cheap to be "high-end". Budget product=sacrifices.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
I think its some sort of fake velour, idk. I don't have any confirmed velour pads ti compare. Also, in most products they boast having velour pads, not a mention of it on the 518's. the material feels too cheap to be "high-end". Budget product=sacrifices.

im not sure, the only part i'm sure is that the earpads on the HD518 is harder since its cheaper than its bigger brothers. i'm not sure if they are the same material (i assumed they are)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back