Best headphones for comfort and quality (Glasses wearer)
Dec 27, 2012 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

oTurtlez

New Head-Fier
So I lurked around here for a while through a couple of threads where the OP was a glasses wearer and their concern was comfort, though, the question was never quite answered from a glasses wearer. Through my research I've narrowed it down to Grado SR80i's and AT AD700's. Look makes no difference (hence the AD700's hehe) I just want something that I can wear for hours with no pain. Currently, I don't have any audiophile grade headphones, nor have I ever owned any. I have Astro A40's (blown left cup) which I replaced with Steelseries Siberia V2's (needed a quick swap, free 1 day shipping) The Astros hurt the top of my head after 2 - 3 hours. This had nothing due to the glasses factor, and I truly do miss them. The siberias however are god awful when it comes to the glasses. They sound great (to my standards), but after only 45 minutes to an hour, my ears begin to have sharp pain and I have to take the headset off for 10 minutes or so to let them rest. Really, all I'm asking is for honest input from glasses wearers towards a great headset which is comfortable, and has great sound quality, for under $130 or so. Thanks in advance for all of the help, I can't wait to join own my first decent pair of headphones.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 28
As a glasses wearer myself, I've had little luck with any of the pairs I own. Forget about any closed pairs because they rely on creating a seal by hugging your head. My Sennheiser 598s are alright for a few hours, but start to get annoying while wearing glasses after that. Luckily for me I'm nearsighted so I don't often wear glasses while I'm listening to music at the computer, which is most of the time. The 598s are wonderfully comfortable without glasses. Anyway, I have been using my IEMs whenever I'm wearing my glasses. Even over-ear IEMs work well with my relatively thick frames when I put the IEMs in first. For max comfort, I'd recommend an in-ear monitor. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 28
I didn't quite mind over ears with glasses, and the on/over ears I have, the siberias, are really comfortable when I'm not wearing glasses. Unfortunately I'm far sighted so not wearing glasses is not an option. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 28
Glasses over here, the grados are super uncomfortable, although try sound great. The sennheiser hd518's are fine with glasses. (this applies to all hd5x8's)

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 28
i have the HD558 and i use it all time with my glasses, it works just fine for me. i have an allesandro (subbranch of grado) and i feel that if at stock the headband can squeeze a bit tight but after i bend it to be looser it's perfectly fine. (though the senns are still more comfortable to a degree)

lastly i believe the senns have a kind of memory foam, so they won't exert any extra pressure on your glases.

one note however, the SR80i and the HD518 are pretty much polar opposites in sound signature, the senns being relaxed and laidback while (generally more bass than treble) and the grados being more energetic and engaging (somewhat more treble than bass)

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 28
I can't comment on the Grado or AT pair you mentioned, but I wear glasses and the only pair of headphoess that I've worn, for any substantial amount of time, that I felt was comfortable while wearing glasses is the Sennheiser HD650.  They are incredibly comfortable.  I can wear them for hours at a time with glasses and have no issues/discomfort whatsoever. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 28
Senn is somewhat king when it comes to comfort. (XB-series excluded). For $130.00 I can't imagine a better buy than the 518's :wink:

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
Senn is somewhat king when it comes to comfort. (XB-series excluded). For $130.00 I can't imagine a better buy than the 518's
wink.gif

though that doesn't apply to some of the lower end models
rolleyes.gif
 (yes HD205, i'm looking from you...)

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 28
Beyerdynamics are very good with glasses because of the very soft and forgiving pads

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 28
Beyers are good with glasses. The Grados didn't bother me at all either, and I have a big head. They were some of the more comfortable headphones I've owned. They don't clamp very hard at all. I've never tried those ATs, but if their design is anything like the M50s, it will be misery with glasses!

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back