Best headphones for classical music under $100
Sep 23, 2004 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

echiang06

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Head-fiers. This is my first real post, although I have been reading up on the web-site for about ninety minutes a day every day for the last six months. My brother's birthday is coming up and he's a cellist, he loves music and I believe he knows how to appreciate it. Although I'm not an idealist, I believe that all musicians should be able to enjoy their instrument's sound wherever the instrumentalist may be, so my question is this, what are the best headphones for classical music available for approximately $100?

Many Thanks,

echiang06

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 17
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Interestingly, the very un-Classical Grados are very good specifically for the Cello. So the Alessandro MS1 is a possibility. You may get better general Classical phone suggestions though. Everything I can think of goes $125 - $150 (K501/HD580/etc.) and usually requires an amp. If you push it up to $125 maybe Sennheiser HD555 or Etymotic ER6.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 17
A used K501 can be had for under $100 and I can't think of a better headphone for classical at that price-point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm sorry, but I like a soundstage when I listen to classical.
wink.gif
He could always invest in a decent PIMETA when funds permit.

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 17
I've never tried the MS-1s but I do know that the AKG K501s are an amazing headphone. I think you would enjoy them with classical music.. but the problem would be driving them. The K501s are pretty cheap, but driving them is what is very expensive.

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 17
You can get a used K501 under $100 and I think it is an amazing phone for classical, but for it to perform its best you would have to definately spend much more than that in associated equipment.
redface.gif

edit: Oops, exactly what Natsuiro said

Sep 23, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 17
I've got the SR225s and the DT531s to compare. For some reason I like the DT531s better for classical. Don't get me wrong, both do a great job, but the higher impedance headphones handle the quieter passages with hardly, if any, hiss when I pair my sources with amps. That's the only gripe I really have with the SR225s and classical music w/amp. Without the amp I would go Grado all the way with any music. They are very easy to drive.

Sep 23, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 17
The K501 would be my vote for the Classical (see post above), but do you guys really think a PiMeta could power them? I never tried it, but I have my serious doubts. They're much harder to drive then Senn HD580/6X0, impedance be damned.

Any although I'm not usually an Eggos recommender, that's not a bad suggestion. Really depends on what is meant by 'Classical'. I love the MS1s for cello, choral, etc., but there are probably better general purchase Classical phones. Kinda like when someone mentions 'Rock' and you're not sure if they mean '60's Folk' or '90's Speed Metal'.

Sep 23, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 17
I think a PIMETA with AD8620s, gain set higher and a 24V Elpac will drive the K501 well enough, albeit not as well as an HR-2 or high-end PPA. Grado's aggressive midrange and compete lack of soundstage really doesn't fit with the classical music that I like; listen to Janos Starker play Bach's solo cello suites and you'll hear the sweet midrange and expansive soundstage of the K501 (not even the balanced PS-1 can touch it in this regard).
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back