Best headphones for Beatles music?
Sep 2, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #17 of 54
Phew, thanks Uncle Erik. Looking at your signature, you really must know what's best. Jeez, that's quite an ensemble you've got!

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 54
Anyone else?

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(By the way, I absolutely cannot stand mono, especially on headphones!)

Hmm, why is that? The old CD's stereo mix was almost too painful to listen to through headphones because of the hard-panning, so there I would think mono would be preferred. But what about mono in general don't you like on headphones? Is it the narrower soundstage?

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #22 of 54
unless it's the ps1000 way
smily_headphones1.gif

from limited experience with mostly older CD mixes I'd say something warmish to mask the sound of old recordings.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #23 of 54
I thought Grados might be a good choice too, though I can't claim to have ever listened with the higher end models. I wonder how they would do in presenting Paul McCartney's more melodic bass playing, which I think would require a very tight bass response. This adds an interesting angle to the question: what Cans would do the best with Paul's bass? On what headphones would George Harrison's silkier solos sound best? How about John's psychedelic vocals? Some more fun stuff to grapple with.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #24 of 54
If you want to add even another level, try choosing several headphones, each for one kind of song in particular. For instance, I'm sure the distorted guitars, pounding cymbals, and driving bass of "Revolution" would partner best with a very different pair of headphones than what the delicate acoustic guitar and birdsong of "Blackbird" would require. What pair would you grab when you want to listen to "Strawberry Fields Forever"? How about "In My Life"? Try it out!

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what about mono in general don't you like on headphones? Is it the narrower soundstage?

Not so much narrower soundstage as nonexistent soundstage. 100% of the sound is concentrated in a single point in the exact center of my head. Even hard panning is better than that (though, of course, real stereo is much better than either.)

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #26 of 54
First off, most of The Beatles work was very well engineered considering what they had to work with in the 60s. The group of guys that did the remasters have stated that the mono masters were so well layered they sometimes give the illusion of a stereo master. In fact, Rouse goes as far as to say he has yet to hear better layered mono recordings from that time.

With the crossfade filter of my Corda Arietta turned on, the stereo hard panning does not bother me at all. I can listen and enjoy the music for what it is without being overly fatigued.

So with an amp from Dr. Meier, there is no better headphone to listen to the Beatles than the Denon AH-D1001K, IMHO. These cans combined with a good amp and source do a great job of giving rich bass, where it is sorely needed in most Beatles recordings, and present the often shrill highs with some restraint and smoothness. And they give this performance without severely coloring the music. In other words, authentic and pleasing.

In the end, I can listen to The Beatles for hours on the Denon's while only minutes on my Sennheiser HD595s. In fact, every Sennheiser pair I have heard The Beatles on has sounded painful and heavily fatiguing to my ears.
eek.gif
Consider yourself warned! The 595s with and early Beatles album cause immediate pain.

Due to all the effects and tape reductions most of their work was subjected to, I think these modest cans fit the bill perfectly. Any more would be overkill in my opinion. As for the new remasters, we will have to wait and see if they deserve something totally different.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, how about this: if you know what good Beatles masters are, you know what they sound like, you know what you like to listen to them with, then go ahead and comment. If you have only listened to the old CD's and their hard-panning, no thanks. Point: let's hear from people who know things.

I have the beatles on vinyl and they are absolutely bliss to listen to with me hd 600's.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #28 of 54
FYI: the CD chain store FYE (For Your Entertainment) will be offering a $3 rebate on each remaster CD on 09/09/09. The cost will be $12.99 - $3 rebate = $9.99 !

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #29 of 54
Hehe... FYI: FYE

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #30 of 54
I love the beatles through my K701s on vinyl and pc>flac. Lots of detail and none of the shrillness you'd think would come with recordings done in a bass-light era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back