Best headphones for Beatles music?
Sep 2, 2009 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Skibumef

Head-Fier
In anticipation of next week's release of the Beatles remasters, let's all play a fun game...

What do you feel are the best headphones for listening to Beatles music?
To clarify, when I say "music," I mean NOT the 1987 CD's, but UK Mono/MFSL/Japanese Red Wax/Dr. Ebbets/Purple Chick needle drops (or the actual vinyl itself). Basically, the "Highest-Fi" versions that there are. It'd be nice to also include the new remasters in this group, so because we have not yet heard the upcoming remasters, use The Beatles' LOVE album as an approximation of what they will sound like. So, your mission, if you choose to accept, is to identify the best headphones for these masters.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 54
Okay, you caught me, this isn't completely a selfless "game". I am interested in upgrading from the Alessandro Ms-1, and with the new remasters a couple days away, I thought this would be a fun way of soliciting suggestions. Choosing headphones is complicated. I love the Beatles- it gives me so much pleasure to listen to them. Why not get a pair of headphones that will render them in the best quality? If I can just get the Beatles right headphone wise, then honestly, that's good enough. Revel in one's pleasures, right?

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 54
I'm a Beatles music fan, too. But for the most part their recordings aren't mastered very well (but no better or worse than most other pop/rock recordings of that era). As such, I would consider buying no higher than a Grado SR-225i or a headphone of comparable performance if they would be played on a good-quality home system (and save your Alessandro MS-1 for use with a good portable music player in situations where isolation from external noises is not needed).

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a Beatles music fan, too. But for the most part their recordings aren't mastered very well (but no better or worse than most other pop/rock recordings of that era). As such, I would consider buying no higher than a Grado SR-225i or a headphone of comparable performance if they would be played on a good-quality home system (and save your Alessandro MS-1 for use with a good portable music player in situations where isolation from external noises is not needed).

But I think he is asking in anticipation of the remaster versions coming out in a few days.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I think he is asking in anticipation of the remaster versions coming out in a few days.

Yes, you're right, sorry if that was not clear. For others who may be confused, please re-read my first post (especially the last paragraph).

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry. I posted my response based on the existing material.

With the remasters, I'd recommend something on the performance level of the SR-225i as a good starting point. And since most pop/rock recordings will never have the same level of sound quality as a properly mastered jazz or classical recording, you don't need reference-grade headphones unless a large part of your music listening will be of those "more subtle" genres.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 54
I would hope that your favorite phones would line up with your favorite music, whatever than may be. The Beatles recordings will never sound like modern audiophile jobs but musical enjoyment should be enhanced the better the new masters are. Here's hoping they're good!

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And since most pop/rock recordings will never have the same level of sound quality as a properly mastered jazz or classical recording, you don't need reference-grade headphones unless a large part of your music listening will be of those "more subtle" genres.

For my own ego's sake I just want to mention that I do partake quite a bit in the subtle genres, with lots of audiophile recorded/mastered jazz (Telarc, Chesky, Audio Fidelity, etc.) in my library. So I say let's remove me and my situation entirely from the original intent of the question. Try not to think of it as guiding a newbie, but instead just thinking critically about what cans would best fit the Beatles' dynamics, instrumentation, vocal characteristics, i.e. the particular qualities of their music (and of the better releases of this music). Just for kicks. Purely for fun.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 54
I read somewhere in a post that the Beatles recorded most of their albums in mono.. Even if its remastered, wouldn't it be "best" to listen to Beatles with headphones/speakers created during their first recording?

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 54
these "remasters" have been ADVERTISING the fact that they have added tons of compression - I wouldnt expect quality improvements, but rather a decrease in SQ, with the new discs

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere in a post that the Beatles recorded most of their albums in mono.. Even if its remastered, wouldn't it be "best" to listen to Beatles with headphones/speakers created during their first recording?

True, most of their albums were mastered in mono, which is why Apple Records is also releasing a remastered mono box set for those albums which were originally mastered in mono (up to Abbey Road).

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these "remasters" have been ADVERTISING the fact that they have added tons of compression - I wouldnt expect quality improvements, but rather a decrease in SQ, with the new discs

As to the quality of these mono remasters, I point you to a letter from Dr. Ebbetts, an individual who has taken it upon himself to offer the highest quality mono Beatles masters to the general public, simply because Apple and EMI would not do it themselves. Well, Dr. Ebbetts has decided to retire, so that may say something about the quality... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/dr-...tiring-433309/

And they have not been ADVERTISING that they added compression. No one ever said that, ever. What you're referring to was a comment one of the engineers made in passing that they've made the music louder. Of course, we'd assume this means compression, loudness war, etc., but Dr. Ebbetts says otherwise.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In anticipation of next week's release of the Beatles remasters, let's all play a fun game...
... And because for now we have not heard the upcoming remasters, use The Beatles' LOVE album as an approximation of what they will sound like.

I don't wish to hijack your thread, but I thought I'd point out that the 09.09.09 remasters are just that, remasters of the original albums, not remixes such as LOVE.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't wish to hijack your thread, but I thought I'd point out that the 09.09.09 remasters are just that, remasters of the original albums, not remixes such as LOVE.

No, I'm quite aware of that- I mean, how could I not be? When I said use LOVE as an example, I meant purely the sonic quality of the LOVE album and the remastering job they did for that (which they did in addition to the remixing) as being an estimation of what the remasters would sound like. Which of course is the point of this thread: sound characteristics and what headphones would best suit those. The actual content of that sound (like disputing whether Tomorrow Never Knows will be mashed up with Within You Without You)... not so much the issue here.

I'm almost giving up at this point- not sure how many more clarifications I feel like posting. We have diverted from the original spirit of the thread to instead focus on minute, somewhat unrelated details. Well, I guess this is normal fare, actually.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #15 of 54
Ok, how about this: if you know what good Beatles masters are, you know what they sound like, you know what you like to listen to them with, then go ahead and comment. If you have only listened to the old CD's and their hard-panning, no thanks. Point: let's hear from people who know things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back