Best headphones for an immersive gaming experience on PS3 / Xbox?
Sep 23, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #46 of 60
I think i'm starting to get there now.  I'm kinda leaning towards the DT990, just because I think it'll suit my preference of immersion over precision, plus I think I'd like a bassier headphone in case I choose to use it for music.  It has also been mentioned that the DT990 is good for movies because of the extra bass, so that's good too.

Last consideration is exactly how loud the DT990 is to people around you?  Any moreso than the DT880?  And is my girlfriend in the next room likely to hear it?  Last thing I need is to spend hundreds on all this gear, only to find that she can still hear me!

There's two doors between us, and there's a built-in wardrobe between us also.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #49 of 60
Well not really two rooms.  The rooms share 1 wall, but both open onto the same hall/landing so, to walk from one to the other you'd have to go through two doorways - I.E. there isn't a door from one to the other.  You'd have to walk games room>hallway>bedroom.

Also, the shared wall has a built-in wardrobe, so there's doors on that too, to "shield" her from the sound of explosions and shooting.

I hope I wouldn't disturb her, even with them cranked up.  However, I think for her to hear it, I'd have to be being deafened!

Alternatively, I could try to get hold of a space helmet on eBay or something, which would also improve the bass, but I'm not sure what it'd do to the soundstage...
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #50 of 60
Well for me there's only one door and maybe 20 feet between the gaming area and the bed and my girl never wakes up; though she sleeps like a rock. If there was anything that would wake somebody up when I'm gaming, it would be me screaming at campers and noobtubers.
devil_face.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #51 of 60
Hah, that sounds somewhat familiar... level 70, prestige 10 times guys, with noobtubes... grr.

Think I might head for the DT990s then if they have more bass without losing much of anything else.

Gah, I hope I make the right decision, though I suppose I'll never know without hearing both.

I'm OK with being blissfully ignorant though...
beyersmile.png

Anyway, as I'm just gonna be chasing my tail even more from now on, I'll just say a HUGE thanks to Riku540, maltar7, wmf, and everyone else who has helped me and given advice.  I just hope it all pays off.

FWIW, I already ordered the Mixamp last night, so at least that's on its way, though I doubt it'll have much effect with my existing earbuds somehow...!

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #54 of 60
Sorry for the intrusion but I'd like to ask how different are the headphones you choose as you next gaming headphones, the DT990s, from the DT250s? For both gaming and movie purposes, if possible?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #55 of 60
I have the hd600 which is opened and my wife watches tv in another tv while I play with no problem

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #57 of 60

not true. i love my bass and dt880's have really great bass. thing about today is those cheap headphones or pc speakers and even songs nowadays over emphesize the bass or mid-bass and add more gain with eq'ing involved. there is a difference between natrual bass and todays standard as considered bass. usually it's over exaggerated. it's hard to explain from me but hearing it you defaintly be able to tell the difference between real bass and how bass is eq'ed today. the dt880's will give your satifying bass. even if you like that gangsta booty smacking bass in todays mainstream rap the dt880's will impress you. 

EDIT: nevermind. seems you made your choice. dang i was late to the game :p. well hope you enjoy your new cans. good luck.
Quote:
 but sometimes it gives the impression that bassless music is the audiophile's choice.

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #58 of 60
Hah, thanks RexAeterna, I've not 100% made my choice, as in, I've not yet bought anything.

From what I've read though, the positional and other differences aren't that great between the DT880, and I'd likely not notice them unless I really analysed the sound (which I wouldn't be doing if I was busy in the heat of battle in MW2).

However, I've likely notice the extra bass of the DT990s immediately.  This is why I think I'm more likely to choose the DT990s.  I don't want super mega crazy drug dealer BMW style bass, but I want to fell the rumble and impact of a big explosion in a movie or game, much like my subwoofer can provide.

From what I've heard, I wasn't so sure that the DT880s would provide this, or at least not with as much authority as the DT990s.

Is that accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back