Best headphones for an immersive gaming experience on PS3 / Xbox?
Sep 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #17 of 60
Knowing your desires for good bass I would probably go with beyers. Also forgot to mention comfort. Here's my rating on AD700 vs DT 880s (I own both):

AD700:
Soundstage/Accuracy - 10
Comfort - 10
Bass - 7

DT 880:
Soundstage/Accuracy - 9.5
Comfort - 9
Bass - 9

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #19 of 60
i heard the dt880's are really good. i forgot from somewhere who loved and tried many headphones and headsets that there great with pin point accurcy and very good at detecting far away footsteps in a distance. even perfered'em over a pair of hd800's with it's wide soundstage for gaming purposes. it was someone. i forgot who but i read it before when stumbling in the headphone section here awhile ago,but the dt880's do need to be amped. i know the astro mixamp is decent amp and perfect for virtual surround sound but don't how it will power the dt880's.

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 60
Well, I think if you have a dedicated amp then the DT990 would be a great choice. 

But if you just want to plug straight into your receiver, then I strongly suggest the Denon AH D2000.  It's a closed can vs the open of the 990 or the AD700.  Plus the bass impact of the D2000 will clearly beat out the AD700.  Perhaps not the DT990. 

The D2000 has nice width in the soundstage.  Placement is excellent along with subtle detail and of course the bass really thumps.  I have been using mine for movies and gaming for about 2 and half years and am very pleased with them. 

When the day comes that I can put a nice dedicated amp with my receiver, then I will try out the DT990 to see how they match up. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 60
Hmm, sounds like either the DT880 or DT990 would be best for me then.  But can anyone find the DT990s in a 32 ohm version on a UK site?  I can't find it anywhere.  Gonna have to be a can with lower resistance as I'm only planning to amp them from the Astro Mixamp.

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #23 of 60
Not sure if you're eastern or western Europe, but got this link from western:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/dt-990.html

All you have to do is change region for eastern. Although if it turns out you have to buy directly from them, may as well go for the Manufaktur version.

As for finding cheaper in the UK, sorry no clue.

EDIT: ebay UK has them for about £160. Not sure how reliable the sellers are though.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #24 of 60

Quote:
Thanks guys.  How do the DT880s compare to the 990s?  I heard the bass is better in the 990s, but opinion seems divided regarding the positioning...?

The Ultrasone 780s are a definite potential, and look very nice, but I'm not sure how their positioning is and also their comfort.  Can anyone report on this?

Solid Snake, how do you find the bass on the 880s?  I don't want to lose all the lovely bass that I enjoy from my 5.1 setup.

When I was trying out different headphones, I wanted something suitable for gaming. I wanted something that would have the soundstage (accuracy), details and yet not sacrifice anything in the bass department. In other words, I wanted something that I can depend on when I need to be competitive while being "fun" when I play games. Many will tell you and already recommended the AD700 which in my opinion has good details and soundstage but absolutely zero bass. Frankly imo, these cans were very boring to listen. I have tried a range of cans from the MDR-F1 (great soundstage), SA5000 (Good soundtstage, extremely detailed), DT770 Darths (Monster bass can, closed designed), D2000 and a handful of others.

When I landed on the DT880, I knew these cans were it. It had some of the very best sound properties for gaming such as the soundstage and details yet it does not skimp itself in the bass department. It does not have too much or too little. It is just absolutely perfect. It has the perfect blend for it to be the perfect cans not only in the entertainment department but also with competitive gaming. It is simply the best all-round, immersive cans I had ever listened to.

Now some people have recommended the Ultrasone 780. I haven't heard those myself but I have tried the 750 which is popular model with the Ultrasones. I placed them on my head once and thought my head was going to explode. Not only were they downright uncomfortable but the bass was a complete mess. I sold them the next day.

Good luck with your decision.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 60
The stock microsoft ones are pretty great.  Idk what size the jack is for the PS3 but if it is a 3.5mm then the Denon AHD2000 headphones are good.  I still prefer the microsoft one that came with the console over the denons when playing my 360 though

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #26 of 60
Thanks for your help Solid Snake (*chuckle* - great game).  Do you have any experience of the DT990s?  Also, I presume that with the DT880s having such a good frequency response, they would be perfectly capable of extra bass if I dialled some in from my receiver or in the PS3 mensu (if that allows you to adjust EQ?).

rakfunk12, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm after headphones for listening to the game audio.  The ones included with the xbox are just a headset, and only have one driver.  They don't actually carry game audio, and in reality, are pretty low quality too.  All they carry is voices, which I often mute anyway.

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #27 of 60

Quote:
Thanks for your help Solid Snake (*chuckle* - great game).  Do you have any experience of the DT990s?  Also, I presume that with the DT880s having such a good frequency response, they would be perfectly capable of extra bass if I dialled some in from my receiver or in the PS3 mensu (if that allows you to adjust EQ?).

rakfunk12, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm after headphones for listening to the game audio.  The ones included with the xbox are just a headset, and only have one driver.  They don't actually carry game audio, and in reality, are pretty low quality too.  All they carry is voices, which I often mute anyway.

I haven't touched the DT990s. But, I have heard more negative comments about them than positive. It's more of a love/hate type of can and from what I've researched, the hate was more dominant than the love category. You can give the DT880 more bass if you would like but be careful not to drown out the rest of the sound frequency or if it gets to distorted. The bass on the DT880 is extremely punchy and plentiful as is.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #29 of 60
Thanks Solid Snake.   What negatives did you read about?  I was gettingt he impression that they were basically just bassier DT880s from what I'd read.

It's hard to know what each person's idea of plenty of bass is.  The only headphones I currently have are in-ear Sennheiser CX500s, so that's the only guage I can use to compare, but that relies on people who have used the DT880s and 990s also having used the CX500s.  Anyone tried all 3 and able to offer a comparison in terms of bass?  The CX500s are very bass heavy.  I wouldn't necessarily need that much bass, but I don't want the sound to be boring and tinny either.

*Edit* I can read your whole quote now Maltar, thanks.  Well, I'm looking at getting 32 ohm versions of the DT880 or 990 I think, so they should paid well with the Mixamp, judging by the specs: 70mW 32ohm per channel.

That's assuming I'm understanding things correctly,  of course.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #30 of 60
"The bass on the DT880 is extremely punchy and plentiful as is."

... not for me im afraid, unfortunately the only thing lacking out of the DT880 was the bass  .... certainly not underwhelming, just not enough   .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back