Best headphones for an immersive gaming experience on PS3 / Xbox?
Sep 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

MBRuss

New Head-Fier
OK, so I know it's like the millionth thread about gaming headphones, but no matter how much I read, I'm still struggling to choose a pair of headphones.  If only there was one ultimate best in my price range.

Basically, I have a 5.1 surround setup which is ace, but I've just moved in with my girlfriend and don't want to keep her up with my late night gaming sessions.  Therefore, I need a headset that will give me the impact and positioning of my surround sound, but that won't wake her.

It seems that all threads on headphones for gaming focus entirely on headphones with no bass, to enable the player to gain a tactical advantage by hearing footsteps easier.  This isn't what I want.  I want it to seem like my surround sound system is in my head, with nice subwoofer lows and punchy bass, as well as the directional benefits of the surround sound system, so that I'm still able to pinpoint my foes, whilst enjoying a powerful sound.

I'm likely to be connecting the headphones to my surround sound amp via either an Astro Mixamp, or Turtle Beach DSS (I'm not sure which to go for out of those two, either), so that should sort the surround-ish-ness of the headphones.

As for budget, I really wouldn't want to spend more than £200, I guess, which is about $315 at the moment.  But wouldn't be totally offended if it stumbled slightly over.

Now, what do you suggest?!  I guess I need a headphone with a good soundstage, imaging and positioning, but also decent bass, too. Help!

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 60
Are you looking for a head set, or headphones? If you want to get the best headphones, there are many suggestions already AD700 etc. Just add a lapel mic and your gaming amp. I have the PC 350 head set which is good enough for me.
I like the Astro mixamp. You can use this with any head set or headphone/mic configuration you want. Quality of this amp is awesome. Sounds better to me than the Turtlebeach... but it's also more expensive.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 60
Hmm, that's interesting.  From all I've been reading, the AD700s apparently don't have good bass...??

Basically I'm after headphones, not a headset.  Sure, I'd like a microphone, but I understand that you can get better quality if you just buy regular headphones?  Also, I rarely talk whilst gaming.  Most games I play the only people talking are annoying kids screaming down the mic or playing 50 Cent really loudly and distorted, so I mainly tend to mute everyone with a mic, aside from friends.

I'm basically after the 5.1 experience, but without waking the neighbourhood.  From what I've read, the AD700s will be too light on bass for the "home theatre" experience.  I'm wondering about the DT880s though, as they supposedly offer more bass, although I've heard that even this bass is weak.

This leads me onto Ultrasone HFI-780s, which are bassier and have that S-logic surround thingy.  Would these be any good for gaming?  Also, I've considered the DT990s, as they apparently offer more bass than the 880s... but again, I'm not sure about their gaming prowess.

Any thoughts on the above mentioned headphones or potential alterntives?  Sure, I wanna be able to hear where people are in a game, but I also want that rich cinema sound, not some wafer-thin bassless drone.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 60

Quote:
Hmm, that's interesting.  From all I've been reading, the AD700s apparently don't have good bass...??

Basically I'm after headphones, not a headset.  Sure, I'd like a microphone, but I understand that you can get better quality if you just buy regular headphones?  Also, I rarely talk whilst gaming.  Most games I play the only people talking are annoying kids screaming down the mic or playing 50 Cent really loudly and distorted, so I mainly tend to mute everyone with a mic, aside from friends.

I'm basically after the 5.1 experience, but without waking the neighbourhood.  From what I've read, the AD700s will be too light on bass for the "home theatre" experience.  I'm wondering about the DT880s though, as they supposedly offer more bass, although I've heard that even this bass is weak.

This leads me onto Ultrasone HFI-780s, which are bassier and have that S-logic surround thingy.  Would these be any good for gaming?  Also, I've considered the DT990s, as they apparently offer more bass than the 880s... but again, I'm not sure about their gaming prowess.

Any thoughts on the above mentioned headphones or potential alterntives?  Sure, I wanna be able to hear where people are in a game, but I also want that rich cinema sound, not some wafer-thin bassless drone.

the AD700s excel at positional audio, and soundstage .... their bass for me, is inadequate.  for the pro gamer who NEEDS just total positional awareness, pinpoint accuracy.. and thats all..... they are definately the cans   ...

for the record, i use both the DT990s and Audio Technica A900TIs, for gaming, I find they are excellent  ... immersiveness and bass impact are pretty damn good. they also do movies very well.

you might  consider something like a Beyer DT770 pro/ 80ohms... these are also a popular gaming headphone ... ive seen some come up here for sale for less than 130/140 bucks ...

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 60
Here you can read part 1-7 or go to the stick. people with all sorts of equipment there: http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/1315519-decent-headphones-xbox-360-part-7-a-7.html#post13048873

My suggestion:
1-Focusing on audio quality and virtual surround, meaning less bass and less immersion: mixamp or dss + the best headphones you can afford
2-Focusing on immersion and adjustment of the bass according to your liking: 5.1 multiple drivers headset: Turtle beach hpa2 or roccat kave + dolby digital to analog decoder.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 60
Thanks guys.  How do the DT880s compare to the 990s?  I heard the bass is better in the 990s, but opinion seems divided regarding the positioning...?

The Ultrasone 780s are a definite potential, and look very nice, but I'm not sure how their positioning is and also their comfort.  Can anyone report on this?

Solid Snake, how do you find the bass on the 880s?  I don't want to lose all the lovely bass that I enjoy from my 5.1 setup.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 60
AD700's are excellent for gaming. As of now, they are my official gaming headphone.

Although, you might want to check out my M50 gaming impressions against the AD700, here.

It's true, the AD700 are somewhat lacking bass. You can hear it, but you can't feel it.

Also check out the A700. Pretty much the A700, but more bass, less soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back