Best Headphones for $100 - $150
Dec 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AudioQuality

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in buying some good quality headphones for around the $100 to $150 price range. I've been searching and have found the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S to seem to be pretty good. My question is - What's the best headphones I can buy for my price range?

Note: I mainly going to use it listen to a wide variety of music, play games and watch movies.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 7
The ATH-M50s is certainly a good headphone, but it has a relatively high clamping force so your ears will get hot (and begin to hurt) faster, this doesn't really matter all that much on a commute, but when watching movies and playing games it's annoying.

Are you going to use them mainly at home or are you gonna take them out on the street or both? If the former I would begin looking into open headphones such as the Sennheiser HD 558 or the 518, if the two latters there is the Denon AH-D1100 which is very comfortable, they are lighter and have more space for your ears than the M50's. Though the Technicas beats the Denons slightly in sound (it has a tighter bass and better mids) the Denons make up for it in wearability.

Others cans i recommend are the Ultrasone DJ1/HFI 580, also think the V-Moda M80 are great though i haven't heard them yet.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 7
I would consider too the Creative Aurvana Live!

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S an uncomfortable headphone to use for extended lengths of times? How can you tell this is a characteristic of the headphone? Does anyone have personal experience with it?

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 7
Re the M50, I don't have a problem with the clamping force, however the vinyl pads can get sweaty.
You won,t be disappointed with the sq .  A good well amp'd soure willl make them sound their best.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 7
While the amp will make them sound better it is not a requirement, I would buy the headphones first to try them out, see how you like them. If you still thirst for even better sound then get an amp. The difference with the M50 is not huge but an improvement nonetheless, with other headphones it can mean a world of difference.

And no the M50 is not an uncomfortable 'phone, though personally i can't watch a whole movie without letting my ears cool off at least once, but a trip to my mom with takes 1 hour and 20 min. is just fine but it's shifting between train and walking outside it should also be said that my ears fairly big. So all in all it depends on how it fits on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back