Best headphones for $100-$150?
Jul 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

PatBrand69

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones, and I'm not quite sure what to buy. I had a pair of JVC HA-RX 900s before, but the joints in both sides wore out and broke due to constant use. I am now looking to upgrade to something with a bit more quality. They will be mainly for listening to music and partially for gaming. I was thinking something along the lines of the Audio-Technica ATH M50, ATH AD700, or Sennheiser HD 555. Which of these (or any pair I haven't mentioned) would have the best quality sound and the most robustness (as in not breaking after wearing them to class for a semseter)?

Also, I will be using them for long ammounts of time (4-5 hours), so they need to be comfortable for extended wear. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 25
I'll be hanging on to this thread. I was actually going to post this exact question. 

I'd like to add to your list the AKG 240MKii. They're often compared to the 555s. Seems like a solid, well rounded can. :)

BUMP

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:
Also, FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD, the M50s are to base heavy for gaming. The soundstage is completely borked.

M50= Small soundstage, not accurate for games. 

I suggest taking a look at this thread first. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:
Also, FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD, the M50s are to base heavy for gaming. The soundstage is completely borked.

The M50s are closed, so yes they have less soundstage compared to the AD700 or the 555's.
While they aren't as good for gaming, they fit the OP's criteria quite nicely. built like a tank, pretty comfortable, tight&punchy bass. The bass is emphasized, but nowhere near as some people say.

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 25
A good all rounder Fischer Audio FA-003 maybe?

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:
I'll be hanging on to this thread. I was actually going to post this exact question. 

I'd like to add to your list the AKG 240MKii. They're often compared to the 555s. Seems like a solid, well rounded can. :)

BUMP

The AKG K240 MKII are definitely worth looking at, I like the removable cable it has.
Quote:

M50= Small soundstage, not accurate for games. 

I suggest taking a look at this thread first. 

That thread is mostly geared for gaming, and as I said in the original post, they'll be mostly for music listening.
Quote:
A good all rounder Fischer Audio FA-003 maybe?

Where would you even find Fischer products anymore? The only Fischer Audio stuff I ever see is tower speakers.

I've ruled out the ATH AD700 due to the looseness and low bass, possibly considering the Sennheiser 558's.
Looking at the HD 555 (or 558), ATH M50, and AKG K240MKII now, any personal opinions from people that own them?
Also, does anyone know where I could find audio level graphs for those three?

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 25
I have to thank UnluckyShot for mentioning the AKG K240 MKIIs, I didn't see them on AKG's website. (If you've never seen AKG's website, go take a look. It's so a**-backwards that I found stuff on their website through google easier than browsing their site.)

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 25
I knew one site that sells FA-003 ... and reputable...damn, i forgot the name. Will try to look up for you...

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 25
If you can't find the FA-003, take a look at the Brainwavz HM5. It is literally the same headphone. Just a re-brand. I know I know, I feel bad buying re-brands too, but it's really Fischer's fault at this point.

I have to thank UnluckyShot for mentioning the AKG K240 MKIIs, I didn't see them on AKG's website. (If you've never seen AKG's website, go take a look. It's so a**-backwards that I found stuff on their website through google easier than browsing their site.)

Of course! No problem. :) And yes, AKG's site is pretty dang jacked. If you want to find a specific headphone from them you're better off googling them. :p

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 25
Looking at the HD 555 (or 558), ATH M50, and AKG K240MKII now, any personal opinions from people that own them?
Also, does anyone know where I could find audio level graphs for those three?

I'm actually using the HD 558s right now. Sound quality is superb. Highs are shining without being shrill. Mids are exceptional, though lightly recessed. I can't speak for the lows, which brings me to my one complaint. They NEED to be amped. Without an amp they sound painful unless some serious EQing is done. Barley any bass without amp. They're also very comfy. Some people complain about clamping but I honestly have no clue what they're whining about. :p Soundstage is also very wide without sounding artificial. Positioning is stupid fun while gaming. FPS/Racing games? Done. 

For graphs you should head to http://www.headphone.com. (How the heck did they manage to get that domain???) Just find the headphones you want and go to their unique page. You'll see a small graph on the right side of the page. Click the image of the graph and it will pop up on your screen. You can also compare headphones using drop menus. You'll see what I mean. :)

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 25
definitly the Ultrasone 580's. Known to be MUCH better than the m50 and any other headphone under $150 easily. just look at reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back